Rear dashcam mount

elljones

We have a Thinkware F770 front and rear dashcam - generally very happy except not getting the rear dashcam to remain stuck to the van’s back window. Any recommendations or alternative points to fix (it’s just above the bottom of the window / wiper motor hump). Main problem seems to be getting the camera to remain fixed to the adhesive mount.

I have a Thinkware Q800Pro with a rear facing camera. I’ve got mine attached at the top, in the centre of the tailgate screen. It was a faff getting the cable there but no issues with it sticking to the screen. Did you give the screen a good clean with an alcohol wipe before sticking it on?

I use a thin line of PVA glue around the edge of the rubber sucker about 4mm in. Works OK and sucker can still be removed from the glass - any residue of glue wipes off with damp cloth.

I have the 770 in the rear window stuck on with the 3M pad it came with 4 years ago and it's still there. You need to make sure the spot is properly degreased first. I did once have a front one fall off a couple of cars ago though, but that was after being parked facing south on a particularly hot run of days.

How did you all get the cable to the dashcam at the top of the tailgate?

I have a cycle rack on the back so limited to where it can be positioned, I ended up sticking it to the glass above the wiper cover with the supplied tape but was focusing on avoiding the rack and didn’t realise it’s not actually inside the area wiped by the wiper! I am going to see about moving it to the rear cupboard if I can get a decent view through the rack. This should hopefully sort out the issue of getting the cable over to the tailgate too as I couldn’t fit it in the rubber it just bridges across at the top which is not great.

I made a little wooden bracket and fixed using rubber well nuts into the existing holes in the body. Having barn doors made window attachment problematic. The other plus is the camera isnt ‘shaken’ every time the door is slammed shut. Not the most elegant solution but very functional!

49147E01-0AF5-41EA-9A8A-40F31D9E4B53.jpeg

How did you all get the cable to the dashcam at the top of the tailgate?
I've just got a new front a rear dashcam set, BlackVue DR750X. I've run the cable to the tailgate via the nearside cable run in the top with it coming out at the tailgate rubber conduit. I wanted to keep the cable on the van side and for it to emerge in the middle of the tailgate but can't find a route for it - doesn't help that it's a converted camper. Even if I did get it there, there would need to be a fair bit of excess cable to allow tailgate to open. Not sure how best to proceed.

I've just got a new front a rear dashcam set, BlackVue DR750X. I've run the cable to the tailgate via the nearside cable run in the top with it coming out at the tailgate rubber conduit. I wanted to keep the cable on the van side and for it to emerge in the middle of the tailgate but can't find a route for it - doesn't help that it's a converted camper. Even if I did get it there, there would need to be a fair bit of excess cable to allow tailgate to open. Not sure how best to proceed.
I ran mine inside the tailgate. Drilled a small hole in the centre and ran the cable through the rubber gaiter the existing cables go through then used a fish to get it to the hole i drilled. It was a bit of a faff but it is doable.

I ran mine inside the tailgate. Drilled a small hole in the centre and ran the cable through the rubber gaiter the existing cables go through then used a fish to get it to the hole i drilled. It was a bit of a faff but it is doable.
Cheers, although I don't like drilling bodywork! Aside from that and the faff I bet it's a nice install. Think I can squeeze one more cable through that rubber, already got reversing camera and some tailgate lights through there. Do you have a photo?

Cheers, although I don't like drilling bodywork! Aside from that and the faff I bet it's a nice install. Think I can squeeze one more cable through that rubber, already got reversing camera and some tailgate lights through there. Do you have a photo?
Below is the only one I could find just now. It’s a distance shot ;). I’ll try and remember to take a close up of the cable entry later when I’m out in the van.

9AF95E6F-E7F8-43B8-B338-6BF9C8C69241.jpeg

Cheers. Did you paint the edge of the hole to seal it? Where did you get the rubber grommet?
yes, i sealed the bare metal to avoid any corrosion there. Can’t remember where i got the grommet from I’m afraid.

Back