Rear Bench Seat Installed Facing Backwards? And Discounted Price New Car

Angus Houston

Hi,

We are close to buying a multivan, we have small children that we want to seat rearfacing, Question is can you install the 3 seat bench rear facing the same way you can install the two captains chairs rear facing.

I understand this is a little unusual but the MB Valente allows a 3 seatr bench to rear face and since the seats are rail mounted I would have thought the only problem would be if the shape did not permit it.

Second question is for a basic comfortline, with metallic paint and a few basic options has anyone got good dicounts in Australia either at dealers or using one of these fleet bulk buy websites?

Cheers

Angus

The two “captains chairs” swivel to be rear facing, whereas the bench seat would have to be loaded on the rails backwards. Based on the design of the floor rail system and the connector pieces under the bench, I can see no reason why theoretically this wouldn’t be possible, just don’t know any one that has tried it. The seat belts are mounted to the seats so that won’t cause any problem.

The two “captains chairs” swivel to be rear facing, whereas the bench seat would have to be loaded on the rails backwards. Based on the design of the floor rail system and the connector pieces under the bench, I can see no reason why theoretically this wouldn’t be possible, just don’t know any one that has tried it. The seat belts are mounted to the seats so that won’t cause any problem.
The only thing to consider is the sliding feet and mounting them whilst the front seats are in position. As you know,taking the bench seat out requires it to be slid right to the front. My concern(unfounded) would be the trying to get the seats in backwards against front.

Thanks Da
The only thing to consider is the sliding feet and mounting them whilst the front seats are in position. As you know,taking the bench seat out requires it to be slid right to the front. My concern(unfounded) would be the trying to get the seats in backwards against front.
Hi Fish, Thanks for your advice. Actually I do not know how the installation goes so I was not aware of this, without being able to trial it this sounds like a real risk. I can ask the dealer if he could try for me unless a forum member had their seat out anyway and coudl quickly check. I do understand the weight of these things means its not an easy task. Cheers Angus

@Fish, mmm, yes, that equally makes sound theoretical sense, we need someone who has a Caravellle (or at least their floor rails and seats - @andythom188) to try this for you. Come on Andy, there will be plenty of people to help you move the seats around at BusFest at the weekend, we know you can't do it alone as you've just not eaten enough Weetabix.

Maybe @Deaky could shed some light on this too?

Good question, I'm not sure. I thought the feet at the front of the bench were different to the back but I might be wrong. Colin would be the man to ask @VWVC

I would just check that it doesn't infringe any safety regs. E.g. Not safety tested that way round or the insurance company could claim it's a non tested mod.

Hi - did we come to a conclusion on if this works? Looking to do the same in our van when we get the rail system fitted. Thanks

Did anyone end up trying this? We have removed a single seat and put bench seat in middle row and have a single seat in the third row to be able to then fit our daughters wheelchair and lift but are now facing the issue of trying to reach the connection points to connect the wheelchair into the car ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I can do it but just thinking this could be easier if we were able to turn the bench seat around so it rear faces but not sure if this works or not. And they’re so heavy to just pull out and try and then it not work. So would be interested to see if anyone has made it work

Back