Rattly Seat Belt Height Adjuster

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
It’s driving me nuts, it’s the o/s one and beside my ear. It rattles like a good un.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyone got a parts fiche diagram so that I can check that nothing is missing?

11C9BDAB-3BEC-4234-AEDA-D44F96F77C5D.jpeg
I’ve taken it apart, and the problem is the ‘slider’ in the metal frame, it just bounces up and down within the slots.

I’ve twice removed and put a bend the spring metal clip that holds it all together. This should make the whole thing tighter.
It worked the first time but eventually the rattle returned. Tweaking it again has made little difference!

Could you run a thin strip of 1mm thick foam tape up one side of the runners.

I might have to DD. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll consider anything at the mo.

I suspect that because it’s a camper conversion, VW May well deny responsibility, hence I’d like to see a schematic to see if anything is missing.

Update.
I’ve removed the driver’s B pillar inner cover, the long one that goes around the seat belt slider.
I’ve been driving with it like this for a couple of weeks, hoping that having the slider assembly bare will help me pin down where the rattle is coming from.

The rattle appears when going over gravel type surfaces and does not seem to be speed/ or engine induced.

Having the plastic cover off has allowed me to physically hold the slider mechanism tightly and the same with the security bolt.

This has eliminated my original thoughts that the issue was the slider bouncing up and down. I’d even put a rubber spacer in it (effectively stopping you pressing the assembly in to adjust the height) and that didn’t work either.

The rattle is still there and I can only conclude that’s it’s something bouncing around within the B pillar.

I might have to buy an inspection camera to resolve this!!

The guys here sorted my rattle in the same area... try folding down the armrest flat.. I was convinced it was the seatbelt, turned out to be the armrest adjuster

Sorry... just seen you’ve been on that thread... mind you a loose mud flap has been added

I too have a hugely annoying rattle in this area. Sounds like a bunch of small pieces of plastic being shaken around in a plastic beaker!!! I thought id resolved it as the plastic door step trim was loose. I removed this however the rattle persists. I've removed the b pillar (both pieces) but nothing seems loose. Perhaps it's two peices of trim rubbing together!! I've an oil service due so I'll ask them to look at it (still under warranty). Fine on smooth roads but any hint of a wobbly road surface and it's rattle tastic in the van. Can even hear it over the stereo! So bloomin annoying

Have you checked the arm rest as detailed above? I was convinced it was the seat belt but it turned out to be the armrest.. either adjust it so it’s fully tightened or have it down (bit of a pain to get in though lol)

Annoyingly having used the side window it now rattles when I’ve used the side door until I give it a jiggle... I know people say in the end it’s just a van.. by my god for the cost of them you would of thought the cab would be rattle free..! At least with the nice weather I can have the windows open to drown out the in cab noise..

thanks Tym, tightened the right arm one up and have it in the upright position as I saw that idea a while back, left arm one is down for comfort! I'll try slackening off and driving with it down. Noise is infuriating and getting worse which makes me think something is loose.

checked other suggestions too, mudflap, A pillar, I read that the awning unfolds slightly which gave me slight hope but realised mine was on the passenger side (read that one on a vw california forum)

I'll be something really obvious I'm sure!!

I thought my rattle was the seat belt, much to my embarrassment given the amount of folks on here who kept telling me that the most likely suspect was the arm rest.

I was so convinced that I had the seat belt mechanism apart several times.

Nope, it was the armrest, most especially when upright.
Replaced under warranty by VW, no quibble - I’m sure that they are well aware.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Tym
So they replaced it and alls good? If that’s the case I’ll be on it ..

previously I had backed off my right arm rest (drivers side) to the fully upright position. Last night I put the arm rest in fully down position (and wound the winder as tight as it would go). Effectively having the arm rest at a negative 45 degree angle pointing towards the foot pedals (hopefully you can visualise that). I drove home last night and back into work again this morning.

where the rattle was 100% annoying it is now down to 10% annoying. It's still there but no where near as infuriating as before, clearly this is most likely the issue.

Thanks for the advice Tym.

Now to sort the other grumbles - I feel as if I've purchased a friday afternoon van!!!

cheers
Jezzer

I have the centre ones down all the time in the level position. Drivers window (right one ) is fine in its upright position, with the adjuster being in the mid (level) position. The passenger window (left one) is fine when it’s down and level, but when it’s in the upright position the adjuster has to be fully wound tight, which as you say puts it at an angle when lowered to be used (which thankfully isn’t too often). Might well contact VW as ‘oldrat’ above had his changed under warranty.

I’m certain my new rattle is within the nearside b-pillar. I’ve gripped the life out of the armrest and can still hear it :mad:

Back