"Rattle" when releasing and re-engaging accelerator

NickH75

Hi - hoping someone can help!

Just bought a 66 plate T6 with 47k on it. It had a service and cam belt and water pump before I picked it up, and has a full service history having been in the VW commercial fleet.

Driving along the motorway or any road to that matter in gear and to slow down I release the throttle (but leave it in gear) then press the accelerator again to speed up, on releasing and then re-engaging the accelerator, there is what I can best describe as a rattle/clicking noise coming from the engine bay. It sometimes happens when changing up too, if there's a short coast between gears.

Anyone got any ideas what this might be, and is it a fault/something wrong that I should get looked at by the place I bought it from?

Thanks for any help.

It's a common problem, search Dual mass flywheel in the search above or put this in your google search; site:t6forum.com dual mass flywheel

Is it just one click when accelerating and decelerating? Mine does this. I notice it more with the window open driving past a wall at the side of the road.
I think mine is driveshaft related but it hasn't got any worse in the last 14 months so I'm just living with it.

More here.

Thanks @Howzat

It makes the click/rattle/metallic noise once on releasing the accelerator and once when reapplying it after a short coast. So if I'm travelling along, in gear and repeatedly release then reapply the accelerator I can create a noise each time I move my foot. But only one noise per foot move, if that makes sense!

Thanks

Yup, that's it. The sudden lateral movement during acceleration and deceleration is causing a slight metal on metal sound. Never got to the bottom of it but that post I linked to may help diagnose if you take it to a mechanic.

You can check each driveshaft by jacking up a wheel and rotating it back and forward, feel for excessive play and the clunk.

Back