Rats! Need better CCTV

I'm looking at mine for the first time in months....

1617227670041.png

Those starlight cameras look amazing!

This may be a stupid question, but how do these scumbags nick T6 style vans without the keys? I know a lot of keyless systems are vulnerable but with a standard T6, how are they actually doing it? Even if you’ve gone to the trouble of using a key grabber box to nick a valid rolling code from the key remote to unlock it, how are they starting the van?

This may be a stupid question, but how do these scumbags nick T6 style vans without the keys? I know a lot of keyless systems are vulnerable but with a standard T6, how are they actually doing it? Even if you’ve gone to the trouble of using a key grabber box to nick a valid rolling code from the key remote to unlock it, how are they starting the van?
I don’t think they are. Virtually all are taken with keys. The odd one being towed or lifted.

I don’t think they are. Virtually all are taken with keys. The odd one being towed or lifted.

Oh right, makes rather more sense to secure the keys rather than the van itself then.

Oh right, makes rather more sense to secure the keys rather than the van itself then.
Indeed, I have key safes and fitted a Ghost secondary immobiliser for total peace of mind.

Not saying your MOT stations or repairers are crooked. Borrow the keys, and make a duplicate. Simpsons Shoe repairers in my local Sainsbury's, say they can cut keys while I shop. I can see there is a market for stealing the parts etc, catalytic converter alone and then the price we are paying for interiors, sound systems, seats.

Bastards!!!! Hope you catch them
I have hard wired cameras fitted, but ran the wires whilst I had the house in bits to hide them
Iv also got a ring doorbell now that sounds on my phone (I only have it on overnight)
Seems to be getting worse the thieving of everything
From vans to dogs!!!

What is the rough cost of a hard wired set up - say 4 cameras and a hard drive (plus anything else we’d need)? It would be DIY install.

Ian
Off top of my head mine was about £250 ish
Had to buy some longer cables for 2 of the cameras as you don’t want a join in the run
Simple enough to do

Well, I didn't know that. I just thought 'cos spiders.

View attachment 110663

Upgraded above commodity spider cam to the Hikvision ColourVu mentioned a couple of posts above. Similar time of evening, no outside lights. As close as a side by side as I could get. Picture not edited, the BMW does have a normal yellow back number plate. Not sure why it doesn't show up at all!

1618690931324.png

I guess this is the difference between identifying a scroat crawling around in the driveway in the middle of the night or perhaps not.

My CCTV is old and has a mix of baseband and IP cameras. This was an old baseband camera (analogue coax). Hikvision replacement was £51 from Amazon. Obvs ONVID IP ones with the same optics are around £80-£100 more.

I would recommend playing with the camera settings if you can access them to get the best picture you can, my Sony cameras have loads of adjustments such as Iris, focus adjustment, exposure, backlight, Noise reduction, colour and mode etc etc that can be tweaked to get the best picture for the environment it is in, I don't think any of my cameras have the same settings and any other now and they are certainly not as they came out of the box.

Caught some little rat on cctv checking out my van at 4:20 this morning. Hoping the stop lock has put them off and they’ll move on to an easier one but worried now. He then made a call and sat on the wall outside the house and was then picked up in a car!
no hood up or cap so would’ve had him clearly with a better camera. Anyone recommend one? Existing are hardwired so prefer just replacing the camera rather than a new Wi-fi one.

We use blink cameras - they are remote and you can put them anywhere as long as the module picks up the signal.

Any pointers on a single camera plug and play system. Currently have nothing installed but would love to catch the scrote who let's their dog do it's business on our front lawn and leave it. Quite like the looks of the hikvision colour vu posted above.

Cheap option is the Neos range for amazon and the like, can be mounted outside with a casing, just needs a wifi connection

Please drop me a message or give me a call if you are after a system guys, we stock a wide range from very cost effective to professional grade.

We are also an Authorized re-seller for Hikvision so can sort you out with good prices on the ColorVu as mentioned above.

Thanks,

Callum

I would recommend playing with the camera settings if you can access them to get the best picture you can, my Sony cameras have loads of adjustments such as Iris, focus adjustment, exposure, backlight, Noise reduction, colour and mode etc etc that can be tweaked to get the best picture for the environment it is in, I don't think any of my cameras have the same settings and any other now and they are certainly not as they came out of the box.
I’ve been trying to get good images with my HikVision setup but am struggling. My main issue is ghosting. I’ve played around with all the settings to no avail - it happens in the day as well as the night.
Christ, I end up waiting for someone to walk or drive past before seeing if the change has made any difference.. which can be slow going.

Did you simply play around with yours or did you get a steer for your settings from the supplier?

Mine worked quite well straight out of the box, but a few tweaks here and there changed a lot, no instructions (I wish thete was a manual because I have no idea what changing some of the settings actually do)
Ghosting sounds like a shutter speed issue, try moving that off auto if thats what its set to.

Indeed, I have key safes and fitted a Ghost secondary immobiliser for total peace of mind.
I’m booked in to have the Ghost 2 installed next Saturday…. @Dav-Tec is an authorised Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser installer and TASSA approved. My only concern is the need for a visual deterrent…. it’s ok having the Ghost fitted, but if a potential thief knew the Ghost was in there, that would hopefully put them off from breaking and entering.

I’m booked in to have the Ghost 2 installed next Saturday…. @Dav-Tec is an authorised Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser installer and TASSA approved. My only concern is the need for a visual deterrent…. it’s ok having the Ghost fitted, but if a potential thief knew the Ghost was in there, that would hopefully put them off from breaking and entering.
It does come with window stickers though not sure advertising the ghost is wise has they could then target your personaly for the code.

Back