Raising The Rear, Lowering The Front

KR.

T6 Guru
I think my new van is threatening to make me bankrupt! Given that I've had a T6 VW camper conversion before I've become aware that the steering on my new van is slightly 'skittish', it feels lighter and during recent poor weather the traction has been poor, the van looks rear heavy as well.

I had a look at the thread about back heavy and traction and several others but the wealth of information means I'm better informed but not really any wiser how to improve matters. What looks to me to be a case of dropping the front seems to be a case of lifting the rear....

I have what I believe to be standard Devonports with 205/65/R16C Hankooks, in time I'd be swapping these onto Michelin Cross Climates or similar but they're on there for the moment.
The distance from wheel centre up to the arches is 430mm rear, 460mm front.

My suspension springs are grey + green on front and 4 yellows on the back. It may be worth mentioning that the van failed its first MOT last year, both front shock absorbers had a leak, so they've been repaired/swapped out.

I took the van to a weighbridge this morning (good job I'm on holiday this week!) and got the following results, overall, 2320kg, front 1300kg, rear 1020kg. I've a T28.

The relevant info on the sticker says 1BA 0JD 0YB.

The van is not likely to be loaded much further, there's a full tank of diesel in there, perhaps 10L of water to be added and some climbing/hillwalking gear and food for a couple of days, that's the standard usage anyway. It tends to be only me in the van and I will be removing the double swivel with a front swivel which may or may not affect the weight distribution.

What do you reckon best way to resolve - rear springs (which?) and better tyres?

Last edited:
Me Tooo !!!!

I've had this problem since I finished my conversion.
I have My18 T30 P Van

Its been doing my head in ! There is almost too much info about it all. Someone has written ITS ALL A VERY PERSONAL CHOICE somewhere on here. And that is the most important information I've read and totally agree

Just before Christmas my18 was lowered on H+R 40mm drop springs with Koni shocks and dampers with H+R anti roll bar upgrade
Anti roll bar upgrade is MINT !
40mm drop is horrid horrid horrid. It has levelled her up defiantly. But too low for me. Too bangie.
Just completed a 5488 mile Europe trip and its too low to do what I want (lots of broken bits and scratches) !

So Monday I'm trying Caravelle Springs, rears should be a bit stronger to carry extra weight (may need a spacer to lift it a bit ?? )

Its expensive way to get what you want and I appear to have a habit spending unnecessarily on the T6 ! Oh well !
But defiantly need my road clearance back

My advice is try before you buy !!!
See who's got what suspension set ups and go for a ride and see what you like comfort wise and visually wise

If this works for me I'm planning to offer it to members

Hope its all good Monday

Me Tooo !!!!

I've had this problem since I finished my conversion.
I have My18 T30 P Van

Its been doing my head in ! There is almost too much info about it all. Someone has written ITS ALL A VERY PERSONAL CHOICE somewhere on here. And that is the most important information I've read and totally agree

Just before Christmas my18 was lowered on H+R 40mm drop springs with Koni shocks and dampers with H+R anti roll bar upgrade
Anti roll bar upgrade is MINT !
40mm drop is horrid horrid horrid. It has levelled her up defiantly. But too low for me. Too bangie.
Just completed a 5488 mile Europe trip and its too low to do what I want (lots of broken bits and scratches) !

So Monday I'm trying Caravelle Springs, rears should be a bit stronger to carry extra weight (may need a spacer to lift it a bit ?? )

Its expensive way to get what you want and I appear to have a habit spending unnecessarily on the T6 ! Oh well !
But defiantly need my road clearance back

My advice is try before you buy !!!
See who's got what suspension set ups and go for a ride and see what you like comfort wise and visually wise

If this works for me I'm planning to offer it to members

Hope its all good Monday
Your van is so heavy RT the 40 mm kit has gone lower than that in reality , I think you will be really happy with the change on Monday .

I'm struggling to find T32 springs online, can anyone point me in the right direction, I think I'm looking for
these springs 1 orange 1 green (1BA 0YE) - weight 5, as mentioned in the Back Heavy and Poor Traction thread.
Failing that I might have to go into a dealers and take it from there, I'd hoped to pick up a removed set of springs from a van that's been lowered.
I'm also a bit wary of buying upgraded springs but lower ones by mistake as the last thing I want to do is lower the back further!

I removed a set yesterday from a new van ( 69 plate ) welcome to the springs if you can collect .

Reactions: KR.
That's very kind of you, unfortunately Google gives me a 560 mile return journey. Your website seems to suggest you despatch certain goods, I'd be more than happy to pay the going rate and postage, if you don't do this then fair enough but could you confirm what type of van you've taken them off and what colour bands are on them, at least I'll know what I'm looking for.
Even that would be welcome and appreciated.

Just keep looking on the “for sale” thread, sets regularly get posted up.

That's very kind of you, unfortunately Google gives me a 560 mile return journey. Your website seems to suggest you despatch certain goods, I'd be more than happy to pay the going rate and postage, if you don't do this then fair enough but could you confirm what type of van you've taken them off and what colour bands are on them, at least I'll know what I'm looking for.
Even that would be welcome and appreciated.

Maybe worth a shout?
Forum Assistance Delivery Service

OK I do courier a lot of stuff around the country , if you are happy to pay that we can assist ill get some detail; off the spring Monday

That's great, if you PM me your tel number / email I'll contact you direct. Or I can use your website contact, whatever suits. Not sure what 'off the spring Monday" means though...

That's great, if you PM me your tel number / email I'll contact you direct. Or I can use your website contact, whatever suits. Not sure what 'off the spring Monday" means though...

Got a full set of t32 springs, oem that I took off my van about a month ago. If you ever get north or are happy to get them collected. The arb's are available too.

07469785932 Steve I meant ill get the colour code off the springs to make sure its what you need ( on Monday when back at work )

Your van is so heavy RT the 40 mm kit has gone lower than that in reality , I think you will be really happy with the change on Monday .

thanks Steve. realise this. And I realise I’m a pain in the ass.

You did great work for me. You and your teams care attention was fantastic and I’m more than greatfull to you. many thanks.
looking forward to Monday

Got a full set of t32 springs, oem that I took off my van about a month ago. If you ever get north or are happy to get them collected. The arb's are available too.
Looks like I'm going to be getting them off CRS/Steve, failing that I'll be in touch, many thanks. Nice part of the country you're in, I think Strathfarrar wins the 'best glen' in Scotland award.

Looks like I'm going to be getting them off CRS/Steve, failing that I'll be in touch, many thanks. Nice part of the country you're in, I think Strathfarrar wins the 'best glen' in Scotland award.

No worries, yeah strathfarrar only about 8 miles away, other half paraglides there if conditions are right.

Before I take it into the dealers so they can advise for £96/hour (!!) ...

Problem, light steering at times, wet and uphill worst with traction control kicking in when at worst (twice in last week) versus a handful of times in previous T6 over nearly 3 years - visually less of an issue for me but the front arch gap appears to be larger than normal.
T28 converted to campervan, see first post for specifics.

Comments welcome :

VW archgap.jpg

Can you post a link to your first post please.

Pete

Last edited:
Back