Radio Interference From DSG [Resolved]

Jimb

T6 Pro
Hi everyone
New on here but I have a question for anyone with a dsg box. I have noticed radio interference when the dsg box re engages after pressing the brake when in coasting mode. It's only very briefly and is a mechanical buzz sound as though there's some sparking. A bit like when lightning is around in a thunderstorm. Radio is on fm and tuned to radio 4 . Van drives normally and no noise at all if the radio is off.
I wondered if anyone else had noticed this.
It's on a 2018 caravelle with 4000miles 150 tdi.
Have tried searching but can't find any info.

Would welcome any advice.

Not heard of this on here but I have seen YouTube vids of guys fixing the mecatronic unit who mentioned solenoids burning out.. so could be an early sign?
Possibly static from the clutch plates?
Make sure you report it to your dealer so its on record.

Not heard of this on here but I have seen YouTube vids of guys fixing the mecatronic unit who mentioned solenoids burning out.. so could be an early sign?
Possibly static from the clutch plates?
Make sure you report it to your dealer so its on record.

Sounds ominous and something I was wondering about. Seems most noticeable when the engine is cold which is curious.

Thanks for the replies

Have you a usb charger or similar plugged in as this could do it ?
No nothing plugged in . Lasts about a second or less just as the brake is pressed and the gear reengages after being in coasting mode. Definitely seems to be timed with the pedal press.

No nothing plugged in . Lasts about a second or less just as the brake is pressed and the gear reengages after being in coasting mode. Definitely seems to be timed with the pedal press.
Could just be the brake peddle switch? Try it whilst Coasting in neutral?

Could just be the brake peddle switch? Try it whilst Coasting in neutral?
That's a good thought Loz thanks. I will have a play over the next few days and see. Just watched a YouTube vid of the mechatronic disassembly. Omg that looks complicated!

Hi
After monitoring this for some months and finding that it is related to pressing the brake pedal as it still occurs in neutral I asked vw about it whilst getting some other warranty work done.

Surprisingly they didn’t think I was mad!! Vw are aware of the problem but are working on a technicalical fix. They will let me know when there is. Braking is not affected.

Cheers

Hi
After monitoring this for some months and finding that it is related to pressing the brake pedal as it still occurs in neutral I asked vw about it whilst getting some other warranty work done.

Surprisingly they didn’t think I was mad!! Vw are aware of the problem but are working on a technicalical fix. They will let me know when there is. Braking is not affected.

Cheers

It’s been a while since I posted on this however it’s been sorted!!

The issue is due to electrical interference from the right rear led light cluster. Apparently the increase in voltage that occurs when the brake pedal is pressed and regenerative braking activates causes the interference!

There is a TPI now for this.

had it done just before the manufacturer’s warranty expired. Well impressed with the technician for looking into it again.

hope this helps anyone with similar symptoms.

specifically it was a loud interference noise , crackle/buzzing coming from the radio when the brake pedal was pressed.But only in a very narrow spectrum on FM not dab and only with Radio 4. Can’t recall the exact frequency. Change to radio 3 and no noise.

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
My T6 Caravelle is in for a service and this radio buzzing malarkey in Exeter tomorrow.

I've waited more than a month for a courtesy vehicle to be available and really want to give them as much information as possible to make sure the issue is thoroughly understood.

As a Radio 4 listener it is infuriatingly infrequent - at one point I thought it might be radar from Exeter airport because there was a clear line of sight to the airport when it first happened. Then a few weeks later I noticed it was linked to braking and seemed to recover, traffic permitting, by lifting off the pedal. Googling "T6 radio interference when braking" turns up this just thread and one other forum.

Does anyone have access to the TPI title/number/reference?

Anywhere I can get hold of a PDF copy of it?

My T6 Caravelle is in for a service and this radio buzzing malarkey in Exeter tomorrow.

I've waited more than a month for a courtesy vehicle to be available and really want to give them as much information as possible to make sure the issue is thoroughly understood.

As a Radio 4 listener it is infuriatingly infrequent - at one point I thought it might be radar from Exeter airport because there was a clear line of sight to the airport when it first happened. Then a few weeks later I noticed it was linked to braking and seemed to recover, traffic permitting, by lifting off the pedal. Googling "T6 radio interference when braking" turns up this just thread and one other forum.

Does anyone have access to the TPI title/number/reference?

Anywhere I can get hold of a PDF copy of it?

Hi

I don’t know the reference for the TPI but technician was aware of it. I did leave a detailed description of the symptoms in the van for the technician as sometimes it gets lost in translation from service desk to the technician.

Hope they get it sorted fo you. I’ve been crackle free since

Cheers

Hi

I don’t know the reference for the TPI but technician was aware of it. I did leave a detailed description of the symptoms in the van for the technician as sometimes it gets lost in translation from service desk to the technician.

Hope they get it sorted fo you. I’ve been crackle free since

Cheers

All fixed :cool:

I printed two copies of this thread and took them with me. One for the seat in the van and one to give the service peeps to put with the paperwork.

Was a good strategy, when they politely refused the printout at the desk I pointed out that they had known for a month that I was bringing it in today for this and I really wanted a same day fix if possible. Was assured that the technician would thoroughly investigate the issue and not to worry :rolleyes: [Fortunately following advice from above, technician found the copy on the seat with the big sharpie arrow I drew pointing at the TPI name and took to the service manager. 'Lost in translation' is being added to my list of euphemisms for future use ;)]

I think the bizarre elements of the fault + TPI tickled their curiosity and it was investigated thoroughly. A replacement light cluster was magicked up - they hadn't ordered one in for me but it was fixed same day so one was found somewhere :cool:

Total cost of £192 for the first service on T6 SWB Caravelle Executive 204PS DSG - notified me that there is a leaky shock absorber so its going back in for that under warranty in a couple of weeks.

Crackle free and very pleased :cool:

Reactions: CAB
O

Glad you got it sorted. It was a bizarre set of symptoms. When I was trying to explain it to them I though I sounded slightly mad.

Cheers

Back