Question: 275 40 20 With No Rim Protector?

Stevefrs

Fuel Process Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So fitted my wheels at the weekend and find that although no rubbing at the back the sliding door rubs on the tyres at the rear. Adjusted the door as far as it goes and still touching.
Measured the tyres and they are actually 292mm at widest point ( uniroyal rainsport 3 275 40 20 ).
So before I spend a shed load of money on new tyres any feedback on tyres without the large rim protectors.

Sounds like the offset is way out on the wheels, or they're too wide? Mine are 10" and sit flush with the arch, with 275 35 tyres.

In my experience a rim protector on a tyre does very little to protect your alloys. If you hit a curb or anything similar hard enough to damage the wheel it will damage the wheel, whether the tyre has a rim protector or not. Unfortunately a small piece of rubber will not stop the wheel being damaged when it collides with another solid object and has the weight of a 2 tonne van behind it.

Having said that, it's a surprise to hear that they are catching the door, what offset are the wheels?

Wheels are 9.5 x 20 with an et 37 so nothing extreme ,standard ride height for a caravelle only catches on the tyre

Wheels are 9.5 x 20 with an et 37 so nothing extreme ,standard ride height for a caravelle only catches on the tyre
Might have to change those tyres then. A 265/40 might work. I run them on 9” wide and they are square on the rim and 10” where they look a little stretched. That size could work on a 9.5” rim.

Pretty much what I was thinking just dont want to buy another set of tyres and have similar problems.

So had another tyre fitted and trialled today. 255 40 20 uniroyal just clears the door card by a couple of mm.
So far anyone running a caravelle on a standard drop, a 9.5x20 with an et37 offset this looks to be the widest to go. Obviously with a different offset /width or tyre manufacturer you may get more clearance.

Back