Putting dog to stud, whats the protocol?

Thank you. We're pretty much in the same situation as yourself. Any regrets/issues taking on the second dog?
No regrets, the best part is knowing both parents (the dogs,) so a good indicator of future temperament. As the Mums owners are friends we knew the pups were raised in a family home which (to me anyway) is the best start for a puppy. The only negatives are the pup (now 3 years old) always goes off her food and is very quiet when we take her away without her Dad but getting someone to look after two dogs is not always easy.

if your filling in pedigree papers it would not look too good having the daughter bred into her dad and inter breeding causes health issues and doesn't clear any old issues like dodgy hip displacement that might be hiding it just passes the same onto the pups...
check living conditions before letting it happen... some breeders need putting to sleep only doing it for the money and the pups leave sick .. make sure you get pic of the litter and on collection should be already wormed jabbed for Parvo Virus and chipped .
I wasn't suggesting mating dogs within the same family, infact the exact opposite. What I'm saying is, if you have dad & daughter they will still try and mate when the girl is in season regardless of the family connection.

Back