Push To Open / Latch Fittings

Ads_Essex

Local lowlife
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’ve had a quick search but didn’t find anything, other than the sale post by @superchargedpolo -

Has anyone got any recommendations for Push To Open / Push To Latch fittings for campervan doors and drawers? We are going for the no-handle finish.

I’m concerned magnets may not hold when it’s driven along our finest sections of tarmac so am drawn to these, but any help / advice / experience is grateful:

74BCEA64-77A0-4B19-878F-37D4FD5ED170.png

I’ve had a quick search but didn’t find anything, other than the sale post by @superchargedpolo -

Has anyone got any recommendations for Push To Open / Push To Latch fittings for campervan doors and drawers? We are going for the no-handle finish.

I’m concerned magnets may not hold when it’s driven along our finest sections of tarmac so am drawn to these, but any help / advice / experience is grateful:

View attachment 29266

Also look in Chandlers as Yacht fittings sell the same thing

It’s the caravan and Motorhome show at the NEC in a couple of weeks. I haven’t been for 2 years but last time I was there I saw a couple of companies exhibiting all sorts of clever hinges and catches on their stand. I’m going this time so I’ll keep an eye out.

For both doors and drawers, I like the push-push type of catch. When the button is pressed, it pops out forming a handle, at the same time as releasing the catch. When pushed to close, all is flush again. Search the web for "Push Button Door Catch" and view "images" - there are quite a few suppliers. To illustrate the mechanism, here are pictures from the Catches and Latches website.

Catches-&-Latches-door-drawer-1-photo.jpg Catches-&-Latches-door-drawer-2-drg.jpg

Everyone uses these. Be different, think outside the box, make your van unique.

That said, these catches do work well, they just shout beige caravan to me!

Can't help it. I am an engineer and just want something that works well. If it's readily available, that's even better. Richard.

Snap Richard. I’m a Mechanical Engineer, must admit I do love a technical drawing like the one above. You’d be surprised at how many people can’t read these nowadays!

I put the above catches in my first van conversion. They are actually quite tricky to set up, millimetre perfection needed. I made a couple of jigs in the end. I also ended up installing a small piece of rubber on the static latch. Made the close have a softer feel and eliminated any rattle over time.

One downside with these catches is you have to remember to check they are all closed before driving off. I forgot a couple of times and ended up with the cutlery drawer all over the back of the van.

That’s one of the advantages to the magnetic cupboard latches. If you have a soft close mechanism on the hinges they automatically latch. The drawer runners are a really nice design and pop out about 40mm due to the spring force when you open them. It’s very visible that the drawer is unlatched and when you latch them they have a very positive feel.

Check out the wee video above. The drawers are half way through☝

Hope that helps explain my latching evolution.
Regards
Craig

Back