Pulling To Right After Fitting Coilovers

StueyStuey

T6.1 LWB Kombi 150 DSG
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’m having some issues with my Kombi since fitting my coilovers. I’m no mechanic so I’m feeling a bit like I’ve ruined my van at the moment, especially bearing in mind it’s only 7 months old. A mate of mine who’s a lorry mechanic helped me do the work, although I don’t think he has specific experience of doing this kind of thing.

I had no issues before but since fitting the van has pulled quite badly to the right. The other thing I’ve noticed is the front left side of the van rises when on full lock to the right. The left side did need a new drop link as the original rounded out when we were trying to undo it. I couldn’t get a VW one so picked one up from ECP. I checked it for length, it seems the same.

I’ve had a full Hunter alignment done today and it’s still the same, with the steering wheel turning off centre also.

Thoughts welcome before I have to stump up the cash someone to sort out.

I’m having some issues with my Kombi since fitting my coilovers. I’m no mechanic so I’m feeling a bit like I’ve ruined my van at the moment, especially bearing in mind it’s only 7 months old. A mate of mine who’s a lorry mechanic helped me do the work, although I don’t think he has specific experience of doing this kind of thing.

I had no issues before but since fitting the van has pulled quite badly to the right. The other thing I’ve noticed is the front left side of the van rises when on full lock to the right. The left side did need a new drop link as the original rounded out when we were trying to undo it. I couldn’t get a VW one so picked one up from ECP. I checked it for length, it seems the same.

I’ve had a full Hunter alignment done today and it’s still the same, with the steering wheel turning off centre also.

Thoughts welcome before I have to stump up the cash someone to sort out.

Theres a thread on here about the alignment, what setting did they use for the hunters? can you post a picture of the printout?

I see it was aligned on half load, get it re-aligned on unladen/no load, the settings are in one of the printouts from the thread above

I can see from the thread you shared they’ve done it wrong but I can’t see how that will solve the pulling to the right issue. I’d expect that however far out it is it would be consistent. The running of the wheels would point dead straight forward together.

The alignment did nothing to feel of the pull despite the alterations made & the left side of the van lifting on full lock is a bit weird & can’t be right.

I can see from the thread you shared they’ve done it wrong but I can’t see how that will solve the pulling to the right issue. I’d expect that however far out it is it would be consistent. The running of the wheels would point dead straight forward together.

The alignment did nothing to feel of the pull despite the alterations made & the left side of the van lifting on full lock is a bit weird & can’t be right.

mine was pulling to the left and I had it aligned 4 times but still had the same problem even though the front was within tolerance, when I last had it aligned I used the settings above and to my shock the right front was way out....once adjusted it now goes in a straight line...drives smoother too

I had my alignment done by ProTyre on a Hunter machine, a few weeks later I had it aligned again when I had some new wheels fitted by @BognorMotors and their machine showed my alignment was miles out. I'd say that ProTyre either had a faulty machine or they didn't know what they were doing. I've done about 6,000 miles since and the tyre wear on the new wheels is absolutely spot on.

TLDR, go somewhere else to get it checked. :cool:

I think I’ve found the reason why I’m getting the knock & the weird rising on one side on full lock. The drop link is in the wrong hole :oops:

88DE6614-EC1B-41C1-BA65-6B5BF278D319.jpeg

Taking it back in the morning, they’ve not quibbled just said bring it in. I’ll explain the unloaded part to them.

Hopefully I’ll be straight by the end of tomorrow.

Can you give us a link to the settings that worked mucker. There are quite a few around, I'm not sure which ones you mean?

Getting mine into a 3rd party on Friday as I'm still not happy with it. I have a fair bit of weight in it so not sure whether to try to empty it or just use the half load (tbh what is in it will be around a half load)

Ta matey

mine was pulling to the left and I had it aligned 4 times but still had the same problem even though the front was within tolerance, when I last had it aligned I used the settings above and to my shock the right front was way out....once adjusted it now goes in a straight line...drives smoother too

Can you give us a link to the settings that worked mucker. There are quite a few around, I'm not sure which ones you mean?

Getting mine into a 3rd party on Friday as I'm still not happy with it. I have a fair bit of weight in it so not sure whether to try to empty it or just use the half load (tbh what is in it will be around a half load)

Ta matey

Hiya, all the info for the setting is in the link above. If you get the fitter to enter as in the picture as that's what mine where set at.

Took it back for the tracking today. They pushed back a little bit saying it wouldn’t make any difference but they humoured me and......................I’m now driving in a straight line.

Just need to sort out the rattle rear springs. Unfortunately my missus is taking the van to Download this weekend and I’m shitting myself :confused:

Back