Propex issues

mark421

Hi All,

I got my T6 eu5 professionally converted in April this year. I use it for day trips on a weekend mainly. I have been away mainly in summer.

We went away this week to the Lakes and obviously it’s a lot cooler on a night so having a baby in the van I was trying to use the propex heater. The first night we put it on for about 4 hours until it came up with 3 flashing lights. I presume it is under voltage issue. We drove around a bit for the first day and managed to get it running for longer on the second night.

I’m not sure if it’s the way I’m using the van. I leave my fridge on all the time and I have a 100w solar panel. I never plug it in to the mains. It has a 110AH leisure battery.

Also the gas indicator states it’s run out of gas which resets when the engine runs.

I’m wanting to go camping for a week with out hook up an daily driving. What should I expect out of the heater?

We don’t have much electrical in the van. All LED lighting and a water pump for maybe a minute a day.

Thanks Mark

Hi @mark421,
I have the HS2000 and underslung tank myself.

Three flashing lights:- there could be 2 reasons that are causing you issues here.
1. You are using too much power overnight (when your solar won’t be producing) that is causing the battery voltage to fall below 10V (lower limit when fault registers). Whilst the unit itself is heated by the gas, it will use electrical power to run the fan to pump the heat through the cabin.
Driving around will never fully recharge a flat battery, you could benefit from charging your leisure battery with a proper mains charger before going away to ensure that it is properly conditioned and full.
Your fridge could be pulling a lot of juice, which when combined with the heater fan, is draining the battery. Look at the tech specs of both items and run some calculations of current draw.
2. The other reason for the fault lights, is what I have recorded in my other threads relating to Propex/ HS2000, and that is the intelligent alternator. Even though your vehicle is E5, it still has the BMT intelligent alternator which causes spikes in the voltage charging rate being put through to your batteries (starter and leisure). The HS2000 sees this and because the spike goes over 15V, the system shuts down to protect itself. The only way to prevent this is to put an isolator switch into the circuit between the fuse and the heater, which you keep isolated when the engine is running.

Gas gauge;
Not had an issue with mine, filled the tank in March/ April, use it for cooking and heating all the time and it is still half full. As you say it shows empty and then when you drive it resets, it sounds to me as though the gauge is faulty. Speak to Propex in Ringwood and get their take on it/ get them to replace.
I know @Fish had an issue with his gauge, but think that may be linked to a problem with the sender unit/ solenoid valve. @Fish, did your fault have an resemblance to that which @mark421 is detailing above?

@mark421 is the solenoid valve opening? I.e can you here an audible 'click' when you turn the unit on? If so then the power is sufficient. Providing there is gas in the tank then you should get heat.
Are you able to put a small video clip together of the issues?.

I had a faulty sender/receiver which was replaced. I also know that propex have changed this whole unit in the latest models.

Have your battery tested with bench test, ensure that the battery is not at fault.
@DaveyB and myself have been having issues but think we have nailed it down to amount of draw compaired to the battery ability.

Hi All,

Sorry for my slow response, and thanks very much for your input.

Just a quick update on the van. After a lot of driving I left it for a week with the fridge off and nothing on. I came back to it a week later and the battery was flat. To me that means there is something drawing power or a faulty battery.

Do you think its worth fitting a better battery, maybe Lithium? How long should I be able to use the Proper for without anything else running?

Thanks Again Mark

If the battery was flat after a week, with nothing connected, then it is either a faulty battery or something is drawing current.
You need to diagnose and fix that problem first, before worrying about the heater or fitting a Lithium battery.

You will still be under warranty from the convertors I guess, so get them to resolve it.

Pete

If you are not charging your leisure battery from the mains on a regular basis then that could be your problem. Especially if the van hasn't been fitted with a DC-DC split charge system which is not uncommon. Expecting a full week of grid at this time year, when your solar panel won't be doing much is a bit optimistic to say the least unless you have the correct charger and drive every day for a couple of hours min.

Mark,

It would be useful to know precisely what charging equipment you have installed i.e. what component is doing the charging when you are driving, what solar panels you have (and which solar controller), and do you have a mains charger fitted at all ?

Pete

Back