Propex HS2000 and it’s feed voltage..

Great thread guys, very helpful as I have exactly this problem with my Propex heater and wondered if someone had come up with a solution. I isolated it at the weekend by removing the fuse and the flashing light issue hasn't yet resurfaced but I guess reading the comments I can expect that it will. Now where do I get a nice sexy isolating switch? :):thumbsup:

I have this heater, but fitted an isolating switch as you describe, as I saw little point having it permanently connected and drawing current all the time.
Therefore not had any issues like you describe, and we only run it when engine is off.

Pete
I assume when the heater is in the 'off' position it isn't drawing any power from the battery?

Great thread guys, very helpful as I have exactly this problem with my Propex heater and wondered if someone had come up with a solution. I isolated it at the weekend by removing the fuse and the flashing light issue hasn't yet resurfaced but I guess reading the comments I can expect that it will. Now where do I get a nice sexy isolating switch? :):thumbsup:
I just used a standard CBE single switch, with LED light to act as a reminder so I don’t start the engine without turning the switch off first.

I assume when the heater is in the 'off' position it isn't drawing any power from the battery?
Whether the heater is in the on or off position makes no difference to the need to isolate it from the circuitry. Even if turned off the heater unit is still being subjected to the spikes in voltage caused be the intelligent alternator.

@Dale out of interest did Propex advise you about the issue that the bluemotion technology on the T6 causes with their unit, and that the only way to prevent was to fit an in-line isolation switch?

No, it is still connected to the power line. The current drawn may be minimal, but the voltage detection circuit is active I guess. This is why I fitted a switch in line. It also reduces fire risk if something should fail in the heater.

Pete

@Dale out of interest did Propex advise you about the issue that the bluemotion technology on the T6 causes with their unit, and that the only way to prevent was to fit an in-line isolation switch?
No. no mention of this.
As yet no fault lights have come on. For info, my understanding is the Propex heater had some change done to it in April 2018 which leads me to ask the question as to whether the heaters with the faukt issue are pre April 2018?
For sure I'll be keeping an eye on it.

No. no mention of this.
As yet no fault lights have come on. For info, my understanding is the Propex heater had some change done to it in April 2018 which leads me to ask the question as to whether the heaters with the faukt issue are pre April 2018?
For sure I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Interesting.

Is this issue only if it’s wired to the main battery? I assume if I wire mine to my leisure battery it’s not something I need to worry about? (When I eventually get round to completing the install)

As long as your leisure battery is fed from the main battery by a DC-DC charger. If it's the older style relay based system, then the same problem could occur.

Pete

Is this issue only if it’s wired to the main battery? I assume if I wire mine to my leisure battery it’s not something I need to worry about? (When I eventually get round to completing the install)
Mine is wired to my leisure battery. So whether to main battery or leisure is no difference.

Just had my Propex heater fitted today at Ringwood and an isolation switch for when the engine is running to stop any spikes blocking it.
Also while I was there I had my slidepod twin bottle connection to my twin burner taken off and now have a connection into my Propex Gas tank so no more buying silly little throw away gas canisters

Sorry if it’s been covered, but this business about the heater going in to fault mode because of voltage spikes when the engine is running.. wouldn’t a voltage regulator stop that?

Sorry if it’s been covered, but this business about the heater going in to fault mode because of voltage spikes when the engine is running.. wouldn’t a voltage regulator stop that?
No idea. All I know is that the way I have done it works, so that’ll do for me.:thumbsup:

Cheers guys,. all very helpful.
I'm going to isolate my heater, would a normal rocker switch like those people often use for LED light work? the switch says 12v and 16A, is that OK?

Back