Project "lovely little camper" underway

added this table leg this evening to the back of passenger seat and works out a real nice job and relatively inexpensive. The table and arm store away while the bracket to back of seat base is fixed. A good alternative for those with twin sliding doors! Has lots of adjustment and will reach over to driver seat also when that is swivelled around 180 degress
Put some sockets on the rear of drivers seat then also

Sean, how did you seal the two big holes you drilled for the heating air ducts? The one through the seat foot well and the one heading up into the seat base.

I cut them to pretty much the exact size and then ran a small amount of heat proof sealant around then. I primed and painted with drill holes also. I would not use not heat resistant sealant as those pipes get very hot!

Had the pleasure of meeting Sean last night and seeing this van in the flesh, sadly it was dark but the dash is stunning, I even had to go and fetch my missus who was equally impressed. Funny, I read these threads and see some of the work people do, this one for example, all that work before the van was registered and you think "what a brave guy!?!?" but to see the finished thing in the flesh looking as good as that; there are some talented people on this forum that's for sure.

Hope the roof goes well Sean, I'm really looking forward to getting ours done now too,its been a long wait

what an awesome job you are making of this! how easy were the footwell lights to fit?

Thanks very much, I must update photos and progress as roof and lots more complete now. Foot well lighting is a very easy job,buybtye parts here in forum shop
Thanks
S

Hi sean, nice job!
im looking to install a diesel heater when the weather gets better... looking at where to put it and where to enter the van. We have a LHD here in switzerland.

did you come into the van under the right seat base? did you cut a new hole or use the vw standard hole and make bigger? i was hoping to use the standard factory hole and juste make it bigger.. less danger of drilling through something thats needed (like structure in the floorpan).

also for the fixing of the heater - im going to get the webasto kit - are there threaded holes in the chassis ready for the install or did you have to insert threaded inserts?

Hi sorry just getting back too your questions now, I drilled and tapped the holes for the mounting plates and used some locktight. I drilled a new whole, one in the side step for intake and one in the floor pan for return hot air. You can pump the heated air out near the handbrake side or in the back panel if seat into the rear of the van. Not sure if the setup up in the underside of a LHd van but you shouldn't have any issues with mounting underneath, I'm sure the kit you purchase will also come with the mounting plate! Where you mount the heater will dictate where you drill circulation wholes I would imagine
Best of luck with it and if I can offer any advice please just text here
Regards
Sean

Got the chrome from Pauly here on the forum along with some other bits
Just catching up on this thread. Is the grill not missing the top line of chrome, immediately underneath the bonnet edge? (if it's Caravelle-style)

Back