Problems With Getting Better Lighting In Transporter Cargo Space

moGGsor

Hello!

Im trying to get better lights in the back / the Cargo space of my worktruck VW Transporter 2017.

I've searchied this forum and the internet for hours now all the morning and i cant seem to find a simple solution.

So i have 2 problems:

1) The original lighting in the back is to weak
2) The original lighting in the back only lasts for about 30 seconds

So the first problem seems like an easy fix, i just buy aditional LED 12 V strips and connect to the same cables as the original lighting, no problem here.
However the second problem is still there, its really frustrating when i am looking for tools in the drawers and the lights go out, i have to constantly lock and unlock the car to buy 30 more seconds of working light.

So what i found is these 3 solutions:

1) "hack" into the car via VCDS or Carista to lenghten the "autolock" feature of the car, hence making the lights be on for longer (I've volt-meassured the original lighting in the cargo space of the car, and they seem to only put out 12v when i unlock the car, opening or closing the door seems to have nothing to do with it)

2) Draw new cables all the way from the battery and make my own circuit for new lighting, on motion detector to ensure i dont drain the battery.

3) Lighting that goes on inbuilt-battery instead and skip the cars onboard electric all together.

All of these 3 alternatives seems eather to much work and money (alternative 1 and 2) or overall bad (alternative 3)

Are there an easier way of getting some good work-light in the back of the car / cargo space that i am missing?

Thanks in advance!

//Mogge

Wire in to a constant live and put a switch in?

If you do a search there's plenty of solutions on here from more sparky orientated people than myself :thumbsup:

You could just fit some Kombi lamps if someone has replaced theirs. I suspect it will need some extra wiring but they work just like the cab light with a three position switch, on, on with courtesy circuit (30 secs or so), and off.

Back