Private plate swap over

I don't think that's the case. You need to put a registration number onto retention if you want to keep it, whether it's a cherished one or not. The retention fee also includes the transfer onto another vehicle within the 10 year retention certificate time.

When a plate is removed from a vehicle, it will have either it's original age related plate reassigned to it, or if that is no longer available, any old age related plate. Not a previous cherished one.

Hopefully you'll be able to get your old number back, just costing you the retention fee.
Yep thats what I know and have experienced as well. You need to pay retention (which includes transfer to next vehicle) before changing so knowing what I've experienced then it will no longer be yours.

No response from DVLA as yet.

Worse case, I will wait until it comes back up for sale and buy it back. An expensive lesson, but one I won't forgot in the future.
How did you get on with that - any news from DVLA?

I've got a feeling I'm not going to like the answer to this question, but I recently purchased a new plate for my van and transferred it over straight away.

It had my own plate already on the van T60 RER, and I just wanted something different. The swap over was instant and I assumed as I have the retention document for T60 RER that it would just automatically go back onto retention, which is transpires isn't actually the case.

Does anyone know if my original plate T60 RER has now vanished back into DVLA's system? Or do I get sent a new Retention certificate automatically, because currently I cannot find it to put onto another vehicle.
Any news yet from the DVLA? Been a few weeks now.

We did a private plate transfer online. Took all of 5 minutes and replacement number issued. Printed off plate authorisation to get new plate and done. New v5 arrived 4 days later. From talking to others especially in the trade the online method excels. Do it by Royal Mail seems to be a disaster.

Oooooo thread revival, and a good conclusion for once.

So, it's turns out that out of the four separate DVLA staff that replied to my emails over this lost plate, and the one I got to actually speak to on the same issue, not one of them actually know anything related to private plates or plates in general, or probably very little about the government department which they currently work, or not work depending on what's on daytime TV or your opinions on government departments who work from home (loose term) because my much loved plate that I was informed several times was lost into the system and may or may not re-appear for sale again, was there all along. Just asleep, laying dormant, waiting for the day I came back into it's life.

Yep, according to DVLAs own website, which is part of this current delightful government for the British public to pay for and use. When you remove your private plate from your vehicle, it automatically reverts back to it's original number. Original number in my head is the one it came from Volkswagen with, the 67 plate. So I ordered new 67 plates in my original numbers, only to my surprise, I get a message across my screen after removing T666 LOW that 'You can now replace your ORIGINAL plate of T60 RER on your van'

Eh?? So, it didn't need to be put on retention at the cost of £80 like it states on the DVLA website. It's always yours because you own the retention certificate, and when you move to another private plate, your original private plate goes to a nice warm place in the clouds of DVLA, where not a single person who works for DVLA can either deny or confirm, because they don't have a chuffing clue.

Any members of staff for DVLA reading this: Loose woman has just started.

You struck lucky there, but I'm not sure I'd want to take the risk.

Did your van get issued with a number from new, or was it first registered with T60 RER?

I’m reading it was issued with a 67 plate at the dealers
I wouldn’t like to test that theory though - I think DVLA have made an admin error!

Great result though - like you I’d be gutted if I lost a plate due to DVLA ‘rules’!

I really want a plate that was issued originally in 1983 - but as the car has been scrapped I can't have it :(

As far as I am aware you always get the plate back that the vehicle was first registered with. That’s why I always keep the original plates so I can just put them back on when I change vehicles.

As far as I am aware you always get the plate back that the vehicle was first registered with. That’s why I always keep the original plates so I can just put them back on when I change vehicles.
I fell foul of this once. Put a private plate on Mrs Spaghetti’s car, destroyed the original plastic plates and threw them in the bin. When we sold it, I transferred the private plate onto retention and then had to go and buy the old plates again!

I thought they issued a random plate, but no!

I really want a plate that was issued originally in 1983 - but as the car has been scrapped I can't have it :(
There is a possibility that you can. You can contact DVLA to ask if the plate is available (not assigned to a vehicle, or on retention) If it is, they will put it in an upcoming auction where you have the opportunity to bid for it.

I did this, but it made well over what I was prepared to pay at the auction.

Back