Privacy glass - why do I need it?

Laura

Hi

We are in the process of getting a conversion. The converter we are speaking to does untinted windows with no sliding window as standard. He says the tint makes the van gloomy and it doesn't really add much in terms of security. I see where he's coming from, if you are willing to steal a van you'll be willing to press your nose against it first to have a look inside. But then EVERY camper we see has the tinted glass and I've seen a post on here saying it's a must, so I'm wondering if we're missing something?

Thanks

It's nice to be able to sit inside the van and eat or do what ever without feeling like a fish in a goldfish bowl. So long as you block out the front windscreen half of the van you can get changed in privacy without having to pull all the curtains / blinds. If you want to leave it untidy and in a mess, no one will know!

It doesn't make the van feel dark and gloomy inside.

Would I tint the windows. All day long.

I never found tinted windows too dark. In fact I’ve chosen them on the new van as wellC2023567-14AA-421B-A6EF-FE8F472D27B3.jpeg

Ah, so it's more for the privacy (clue is in the name I guess!) than security... I can see that. Thank you all

Reactions: DXX
There's more chance of it looking gloomy inside if you have dark furniture with dark coloured seats and dark carpet lined... especially if like mine I chose no side rear quarter windows... keep the interior / floor / roof board light and it gives the van a lighter more spacious feel inside... the tinted windows are a must for the privacy aspect.
g.jpg

I’d feel a bit self conscious without tinted windows. People will always peer in and I’d feel a bit on display.

I’ve got limo tint on all side windows and the tailgate and it’s not gloomy inside! This photo was taken with the doors and windows shut.

I can even see perfectly out of the rear view mirror, even when it dims itself at night.

A8DA3F48-1B5C-408B-8AE4-0A05E49C4336.jpeg

44F7E241-462D-4540-AC5F-1EB59C42F555.jpeg

Last edited:
we have limo tint and white interior and have no problem
even with the awning attached and the side door closed it's not to bad
get your back door tinted as well then the only way people can see in is through the front doors and windscreen

I ordered my camper with untintedw windowsfor all the reasons given, and had them tinted after our first trip...
I chose the mid-range tint and am really happy.

Ours is tinted; from outside you can make out vague shapes but have to put your nose to the glass to see clearly.

From inside, you can't really tell. Can see out clearly, doesn't feel dark at all. I think your eyes quickly adjust, and there is plenty of light from the front.

These may still be for sale... save yourself a few quid... you'll need it for all the upgrades you don't know you need yet...for sale

Tinted, doesn't really impact on the inside that much and most of the time you will outside the van. Get Tinted, you will be peased you did.

Here's a wee pic, that may give you an idea of how much light comes in. The rear and side windows are privacy tint, with the exception of the window behind the rear side lockers , which is limo tint to completely hide the back of the locker. Interior picture was taken on a gloomy wet day (most days in Scotland). But you can see how much light gets in.

My tip would be polish the side and rear windows (not windscreen) with Autoglym Aqua wax or Sonax Brilliant Shine detailer when you wash your van. Takes just a few minutes extra on a wet van to do. But it gives the glass a mirror effect, so very hard to see inside the van from the outside.

20181009_121745.jpg

20190907_205035.jpg

Back