Pressure-Washing the van.. touchless wash?

I clay our vehicles once a year, with Bilt Hamber regular clay, but will always machine polish after with a DAS-6 dual action polisher and fine Menzerna polish. You can do by hand but its hard work.

The clay can put swirls / marring into the paint but the polisher gets them out. Following this process the paint is super smooth.

Ian

Keep toying with he idea of the BH clay bar. Just not plucked up the courage to do it.

Used a dual action polisher on the van for the first time this afternoon. Super Resin Polish this time and my trusty Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer as a top coat. Have to say, really impressed though with the Sonax BSD. It's a breeze to apply and buff, great value and its lasted for weeks at a time over the winter. Turns tinted windows into mirrors. Also makes the hard to reach face of the wheel rims, the bit that's inboard of the spokes, so much easier to clean with a cloth.

Is claying a last resort thing, then? Is it too abrasive for regular use?
Pretty much all clay bars will mar the paint surface.

I would not clay any vehicle unless I intend to machine polish afterwards.

If you want to keep on top of contaminants within your regular wash process, stick to spray on iron and tar removers.

I would also add, don't machine polish without a thorough decontamination process first. So spray tar remover to a panel and work over panel with a mitt or bug sponge, then rinse. Then spray on iron remover to a panel and leave to dwell, then rinse. These two stages help soften/remove contaminates before you glide the clay bar over the paintwork.

Clay bar is basically like plasticine in feel / consistency. Nothing to be afraid of - just be gentle with it.

You must use it with a lube / liquid. Some need proprietary lube others like Bilt just shampoo/water mix. I find putting the clay under / in hot water makes it more pliable.

I’m doing SWMBO’s Octavia this week.

Ian

Clay bar is basically like plasticine in feel / consistency. Nothing to be afraid of - just be gentle with it.
Having used many different brands (and grades) of clay bars over the past 16 years, I wouldn't offer advice with such a sweeping statement. Someone could purchase a course clay bar without knowing, use it and end up marring their paintwork really badly and then not have the skills or equipment to remove it. I'm all for enthusiasts taking care of their pride and joys, but not if they end of with a an expensive repair bill. Clay bars need care when being used.

Having used many different brands (and grades) of clay bars over the past 16 years, I wouldn't offer advice with such a sweeping statement. Someone could purchase a course clay bar without knowing, use it and end up marring their paintwork really badly and then not have the skills or equipment to remove it. I'm all for enthusiasts taking care of their pride and joys, but not if they end of with a an expensive repair bill. Clay bars need care when being used.

I agree but I would expect people to research what to buy and how to use it, if they are planning to use it themselves on their own vehicle.

That is what I did and why I landed on Bilt Hamber and a DAS-6 dual action polisher.

Last edited:
Never did the barn doors in the autumn so had the full works tonight. My rear doors have never been so clean :eek:

89ACA8D2-7468-42B0-B43A-E9E0268152B3.jpeg

Back