Press stud in pop top

Carl1974

T5.1
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Can anyone help me or give me some guidance. Yesterday whilst out for the day I lifted the pop top and unzipped the scenic canvas so the children could have a good vantage point whilst watching the car racing.

However when I went to secure the canvas into the press stud that’s fitted into the pop top it managed to become detached. Are these easy to replace ?

Kits to install press studs are readily available, however getting a good match to an existing (remaining part) of a stud pair is a bit hit or miss, it may be better to replace both parts to ensure a good fit/working action.
The only hard bit is they usually require use of a hammer on an anvil which may be difficult if the place you need to fit it is up in the air.
Soft bits for Sevens Shop I’ve used their press studs on my Seven Soft top and Tonneau and not had any issues with quality.

From what I read it’s the male part which is screwed into the GRP that’s detached. The only ones I’ve seen are screwed in.
If the GRP / composite roof is ripped out where the screw was secured it can be filled with
As @Grim Reaper states there are plenty of kits available on ebay, just make sure it’s a stainless steel set.
If the replacement half matches the old half fit it’s a bonus, if it’s a bit loose it is possible to gently tighten the female half with some pliers.
If you have to replace the female half it’s a case of carefully drilling out or collapsing the centre rivet.
When fitting the new female half try using some thick fabric on the anvil tool face to avoid deforming the cap and don’t hit the punch harder than is needed.
Sounds worse than it is.

Back