Power Latching Retrofit Kits

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
Following a couple weeks of trying out and testing we are now ready to release the retrofit power latching kits for tailgates and sliding side doors.
The kits are supplied with a custom wiring loom and all required parts to complete the job, the install is relatively straight forward and can easily be completed by a single person.
A 12 volt positive supply is required (negative connections are provided) in the rear of the vehicle to power the control modules that activate the power latching and a cable is provided for this for the installer to take to a place of their choosing.
Each kit requires one existing vehicle cable to be cut and joined onto the provided loom.
Everything supplied is a genuine Volkswagen part supplied from VW UK (excluding the custom wiring loom) and carries the appropriate warranty so a perfect fit can be assured.

*edit
I have recently reviewed parts prices from VW as they have been creeping up and up for a while and the kit prices have not changed for a long time so kit prices have been revised below

Prices updated Q2-23
Pricing as below + £4.99 delivery per order
Tailgate Latching Kit = £425 (375 without tailgate threshold)
Slider Door Latching = £550
Tailgate + One Slider = £950 (900 without tailgate threshold)
Tailgate + Two Sliders = £1450

In light of the ever increasing price of parts from VW i will try and keep some second hand motors and modules in stock so we can make side door kits utilising these, as and when these are available then side door kits will be £325 going up as prices are getting crazy

We will be supplying instructions with these kits and hope to have them ready in the next few days but as a loom is provided most of the connections are plug and play and all fixings utilise factory holes so no drilling or power tools are required.
These kits are made to order so we anticipate an approximate dispatch time of around one week from order being placed

Last edited:
Whats involved in the single slide door laching? thanks.

Replace existing striker plate with powered unit (two screws)
Fit control module and bracket behind rear panel above wheel arch (two screws)
Plug them both in using supplied loom and connect the earths/negatives to the existing earth post behind rear panel
Then the main part of the job is to run the remaining three cables in the loom (which are bound together) either above roof or under floor to the front passenger seat, two cables need to be connected to a wire under the seat (info provided) and the third cable needs to pick up a 12v supply to power the whole setup

The 12v+? Is there a supply in the rear of the van?
No existing supply in rear unless you already have power latching on one door but cable is supplied with the kit for you to pick up a supply

I have power under the passenger seat and on rear o/s so I can get that no problem. Ill have the tailgate and n/s slide door kit please. Ill pm you and pay Saturday if thats ok as I am in leeds at the moment.
Thanks Alan.

Ok, i will get a double loom made up ready for you
Are you thinking of the running the cables over the roof or under the floor as i can prep the wiring a bit differently for you to make it a bit easier ?
Also the factory method of running cables to tailgate motor is going surface in the rear, are you planning to do this or are you going to drill the hole down low level where it is hidden by the flooring ?

I will run them over the roof I think as I have to alter the lighting anyway, and I will drill a hole at low level so its hidden. Thanks Alan.

sorry for the naïve question Pauly........... What does Power Latching do to a conventional rear tailgate??
Basically you only need to offer the door up and engage the catch then the power latch motor takes over and pulls the door in the final bit to ensure it closes properly every time

Yes, you still have to shut the door but with a lot less force as it does the final bit for you

Pauly, you mentioned the tailgate threshold cover, is that the plastic bit around the striker plate? I've already changed it for the wider Kombi one (mines a panel van). Would i need to remove/ change it?

Yes it would need to be changed to the one that is supplied in the kit, it looks identical from above but underneath there is more space to accommodate the power latching motor housing

The supplied kit contains every part required including the threshold trim/replacement screws for the motor etc

For those of us who are to convert in the future, it seems sensible whilst having the van wired , to have one or two 12v supplies laid to the rear, no?
I am thinking rear view camera, hard wired rear facing "dash cam" etc????

For those of us who are to convert in the future, it seems sensible whilst having the van wired , to have one or two 12v supplies laid to the rear, no?
I am thinking rear view camera, hard wired rear facing "dash cam" etc????
That would be sensible, i ran a couple extra supplies to the rear of mine for a rainy day and they are all now being used for extra lighting/power latching/rear power sockets etc

Paul I will have the 1 sliding door latching send me your payment details and will get the funds across to you .
Not sure how I'm going to run them yet as having the roof chopped out and floor ply lined, which ever way you think best m8

If your plylining the floor then you can go underneath as cabling can run in the troughs with flooring sat on the peaks so no danger of crushing, the only thing is you may have to make a small hole below floor level to get the cables out of the rear quarter panel area if you want to go that way.

Doesnt matter a great deal either way as i will make the cables that run to the seat extra long so you can run them anywhere/anyway you choose.
Will pm you details

Back