Power-latching retrofit to a converted camper

Barley53

T6 Pro
Hi, I'd like to get one of these kits for the side door from Pauly, has anyone installed this onto a fully converted t6 campervan? I'd like to know just how much dismantling is needed - I'm ok with removing trim and feeding wires etc, but if possible, I would prefer to avoid tearing up existing internal carpeting. Thanks, dave.

hello Dave.

I bought and fitted mine before I converted my van, but if I had to fit now it wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

The motor fits in to the void above the wheel arch, so you’ll need to remove whatever panel you have there.

Then you run the cable up the C-pillar along the roof pelmet and down the B-pillar, but if you can’t, you could always run them underneath the step.

For a camper conversion, I’d say it’s definitely needed - no one likes slamming side doors when they’re trying to sleep

Thanks Ads_Essex, I was afraid of that. The converters have stuck 'carpet' all over that area, it looks seamless....

I’m planning on doing this to a fully converted van and have just bought the kit. My van has full carpet and no access so I talked the the converters thinking they could make a removal plane but they seemed to think it would be possible to remove the carpet and install then restick it without too many issues if I was careful. Planning on going under the door though as this seems easier but will see what’s what when the kit arrives

Yes, it all went in nice and easy, no bother at all. I gently peeled the carpet away and fitted the motor then stuck it back. I didn’t want to fit the controller in the standard position as it would mean taking more carpet off so I fitted it to the rear of the cupboards under the rear seat. Then ran the cable under the step (well sort of behind the step) and connected the wires to the B pillar door sensor. The trickiest bit was picking up the live. I decided against taking the feed from the leisure battery (too easy!) and went all the way back to the centre console fuse box. To do this I had to take out the passenger seat and all the leisure battery and electrics, if I did it again I might be able to loosen it and feed it through but it was good to see what’s going on under the matting.

@Pauly did a superb job of making up the loom for me and even though he didn’t know exactly how i would wire it it was pretty much perfect for my install!

Now I only have to shut the door once each time to shut it properly but I have to open it again just so I can see it close again! :p

Yes, it all went in nice and easy, no bother at all. I gently peeled the carpet away and fitted the motor then stuck it back. I didn’t want to fit the controller in the standard position as it would mean taking more carpet off so I fitted it to the rear of the cupboards under the rear seat. Then ran the cable under the step (well sort of behind the step) and connected the wires to the B pillar door sensor. The trickiest bit was picking up the live. I decided against taking the feed from the leisure battery (too easy!) and went all the way back to the centre console fuse box. To do this I had to take out the passenger seat and all the leisure battery and electrics, if I did it again I might be able to loosen it and feed it through but it was good to see what’s going on under the matting.

@Pauly did a superb job of making up the loom for me and even though he didn’t know exactly how i would wire it it was pretty much perfect for my install!

Now I only have to shut the door once each time to shut it properly but I have to open it again just so I can see it close again! :p
Surely this is next..?

Back