Retrofit: Power fold mirror with fold on remote lock

steveph

T6 Pro
I’ve just swapped my T6 electric/heated mirrors to power folding mirrors. And they fold on remote lock :)

This approach requires you have the standard electric/heated mirrors. Part of the kit would apply to add fold/unfold on remote lock/unlock to factory installed power fold mirrors - see my comments at the end.

The 2010+ T5 mirrors are the same fit so I got the mirrors plus control kit from Travelin-Lite on eBay, minus their T5 door switch. The OEM T6 door switch came from my local dealer.

The job involves removing all the lower dash trim and door cards, and swapping aerials (four!) from the old mirror bodies to the new mirror bodies. The most delicate part is swapping over the mirror caps...

Wiring colours were the same on my T6 as the T5 instructions so that helps :) Main differences to the T5 instructions were trim removal and finding a location for the unit along with suitable power feeds. I can post more install info if requested.

No coding is needed for the mirrors. But avoid disconnecting the passenger airbag switch when you remove the LHS trim otherwise you will get an airbag fault that will need clearing.

I made a couple of mods to the control unit to park the passenger side hard to a wall with mirrors folded, so that the mirrors don’t unfold until I switch them :eek: Folding on remote lock is great though :)

If you already have factory power fold mirrors then I think you should only need a reduced number of kit parts that would sit between the fold/unfold power pulse from your control unit and the feed to the mirrors. I’ve seen this part referred to positively for a T5 fit and it looks similar to the heart of the kit I bought. The lock/unlock pulse can be picked up behind the driver’s door card if not found in a more convenient location. Best to find the factory fitted fold control unit and identify the switched fold/unfold +ve pulse there (maybe behind the RHS lower dash trim?). Otherwise you’ll have to remove both door trims to break into left and right separately, and use more cable.

well thats a great job you have done there @steveph , if you have read any of my post on the mirrors you will know i find it annoying that they dont fold on lock/unlock! As i have said on a previous post there is a difference on my new T6 my17 to the loan T6 my16 i was using. On the loan T6 the switch only worked before you opened the door ,then you had to put the ignition back on to fold them , but the new one works all the time with no ignition on, must be wired different??

Thanks SG :)
I guess VW would use the same 'reason' as lack of fuse information - they're always evolving!
Having checked current draw on my aftermarket unit I'm happy the manual switch only works with ignition on.
Control by lock/unlock works with the ignition off of course and the current draw at rest is minimal for that.

You lost me with the wiring part, i have trouble with a plug :D. I will be hoping to find someone to mod mine if i can so they auto fold.

If you have a friendly auto-elec then hopefully the links in my post will point them the right way.
Happy to answer questions if they have any :)

Took my feed from the door lock wires behind the driver's door card. They give the pulse needed. The cards were off for the mirror fit already. Will dig out my notes for the colours.

Lock is violet. Unlock is blue/yellow.
If you're not taking the door cards off you should be able to locate them under the dash somewhere and can always check with a meter. Hope it helps :)

Excellent job @steveph. I have the auto folding mirrors already, so would I need the T5 mirrors as well, or did you just get these as your T6 did not have the power mirrors.
Where did you get the control box from/ what's it cost/ what's it called.
Could you put a step by step instruction together?
As I would only need the mirrors to fold on lock and then unfold on ignition I'm guessing I'd not need to mod the control box - therefore will the box do that without any modification?
All help gratefully received.
If you can point me in the direction of the parts, then I'll look to do the same and try and photo it and put a full step by step process together for the forum.

Mmm, I'm always rather dubious in buying from ebay when it says the part comes from the "fake" capital of the world - China.

The cheaper unit should work if you have the VW power fold control unit. @DaveyB sounds like you have the same setup as me - I will put some more info and pictures together tomorrow.

The cheaper unit should work if you have the VW power fold control unit. @DaveyB sounds like you have the same setup as me - I will put some more info and pictures together tomorrow.

Cheers buddy. Keep us posted, desperate to get this done on mine.

Yep me to! been following this with interest , you never no i may get brave and blow mine up i mean do mine :D ( cant see it really ) but at least i can get it done by someone :)

Mmm, I'm always rather dubious in buying from ebay when it says the part comes from the "fake" capital of the world - China.

It was £7 so i just ordered it to see what it was all about, already smashed the box open to see whats inside ;)

i really want some easy to do instructions for this (like painting with numbers) because it p***es my off so much as I either forget or someone else opens a bloody door before I have had chance to fold them in

Just an one thing i have notice in ref; to the auto folding of the mirrors , my new van lets you switch the mirrors at any time whether the door is open closed ignition on or off , where as the loan combi only let you close the mirrors in before you opened the door which if you forgot (all the time) you had to switch the ignition back on. Dont no if this makes sense but it must be wired different do you think ?? maybe a E5 E6 difference? .
I no what you are saying @Rob, as i say above my loner T6 was like that but my new one is different. But as you say they need doing big time, looks like were getting there with the clever guys here :thumbsup:

Lock is violet. Unlock is blue/yellow.
If you're not taking the door cards off you should be able to locate them under the dash somewhere and can always check with a meter. Hope it helps :)

Unfortunately there is only single wire control inside the van. The yellow/blue carries a negative to lock and a 100 ohm resisted to unlock.

I have a pair of brand new pair of mirror caps going cheap if anybody needs them. I know it is easy to damage them when changing mirror guts.

Back