Retrofit: Power fold mirror with fold on remote lock

It's a funny one this, 400 sounds like a lot of money but is actually not far of the price of a complete power folding mirror and maybe slightly less if you factor in painting and fitting

Not really an easy DIY job if you don't have so much experience and it does need a bit of working it out as you go.
You have to be careful removing and replacing the painted mirror caps not to damage them. Swapping the aerials between old and new mirrors can be tricky to feed the wires through the mirror body.
Removing door cards and interior trim just needs care and not too much force.
Maybe best to ask an auto-electrician if it's not your thing.
And as @Pauly says it may be worth checking to see what VW now offer to retrofit power folding mirrors.
Good luck! :)

VW don't/won't offer anything retro, all I meant is if the kit saves one complete mirror it's paid for itself !

I dont have power fold mirrors i just bought it to take it apart and have a look inside but it would do the job, its a bit chinese cheapy so reliability/longevity may be a factor but if it stops working not really going to cause any problems ??

Firstly an excellent detailed thread. I have just collected my T6 and already regret not having folding mirrors. Mine is a 150 MY18. If I buy just buy the folding mirrors and the switch whats the chances the wiring is all there and just a matter of coding them in? Thanks all!

Cool, although interested in how you get on my question was more around if I buy the folding mirrors is the wiring there? Auto fold can be a later purchase.

This all sounds great & really tempted to have these retro fitted. Am i right in assuming the painted elements can be reused therefore no need to paint?
Does anyone know a good auto electrician in the Derby area who could do this?

Yep, I reused the painted mirror tops fine. Usual warnings about being careful taking them off and not breaking the plastic clips (I broke clips on the old bases but no worries as I wasn't keeping those....)
A long way from Derby so cant help you on that question.

Hi Guys,
I have bought the Chinese fold on lock kit, my van is a 2011 t5.1 gp with factory fitted power folding mirrors.
can anyone please tell me the following:
can i do all the wiring from under the dash?
what are the colors of the vw harness wires i need to connect the kit into?
can all the wires be accessed before they go out from the cabin through the drivers door rubber flexy?

regards
patrick

does anyone offer this upgrade to a van with power folding mirrors in the north west?

What's the difference between 7PIN and 9PIN mirror unit?

Reactions: mmi
So I have them installed on my van put have to manually use the switch to fold the mirrors in.
Do I have everything in place and just need to recode on vcds to unlock with the remote, or do I need to buy trinkets as well?

MY16 vehicles can be coded
MY17 vehicles need physical changes
MY18 do it as standard

Reactions: mmi
Back