Power-Closing Sliding-Door Problem

Andyman

Photographer
T6 Guru
Hi

wonder if anyone can assist or point in right direction

twin electric doors on caravelle

for no reason they’ve started playing up, if I pull handle inside or outside or use the key to close them, they roll forward, almost close make a big click noise and reopen fully

they will keep doing this until eventually, today it was 36 times, they close! Sometimes it’s only 2,3, or 4 times others it is considerably longer

Hi

wonder if anyone can assist or point in right direction

twin electric doors on caravelle

for no reason they’ve started playing up, if I pull handle inside or outside or use the key to close them, they roll forward, almost close make a big click noise and reopen fully

they will keep doing this until eventually, today it was 36 times, they close! Sometimes it’s only 2,3, or 4 times others it is considerably longer
Hi

Mine do this sometimes on the velle. But not quite that many times . Sometimes seems to be if the door is shaken as it’s moving or detects something blocking it and then quite violently opens back up. It seems to stop if I guide the door with a hand as it electrically closes. Have you checked where the rollers run for any stones/grit etc?

Been driving the Caravelle for about 6 months and last week the N/S sliding door started playing up. On closing it would get 3/4 shut and then open itself as if something was in the way of it shutting. It only happened on our drive at home (has a slight incline with front of van lower than rear) After a few attempts trying to close the door, I drove off the drive so van was level, it then closed. It then started to get worse, each time 3/4 shut it would spring open.
I then placed my hand on the handle while shutting with the smallest amount of pressure and it shut fine.
I checked for any obstructions in the rail and it’s clear.

Now the lights on the dash for the N/S door flash when at a standstill and are on permanently when driving.
Before it stopped working all together, I could press and hold the button to close but still needed to get out the van and push it closed manually. Now the power latching doesn’t work at all.

I’ve tried disconnecting the battery for a while and then connecting and leaving for 30 mins to see if it would reset but no change. I do get the door to move when I hold the button again, but nothing else.

I’ve connected to VCDS and get this message

*03303* - Response Closing Status of Rear Left Door
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 153
Mileage: 40306 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.10.27
Time: 13:39:06

Searching the forum and web I get ideas such as door mech, contacts on door and frame and sensor on leading edge of door, sensor in the top rail/guide. Before I start buying all these parts, can anyone offer any guidance?

Cheers

Last edited:
it also have a sensor on the bottom rail front end... that is very sensitive micro switch "Anti-trapping protection with sensor" it goes under the sill from the front bottom corner to up... give it a nice massage :D delete the error and try it.

Hi @Barralad. ( nice video ) have the same setup ….the only time I’ve seen this happen is when the wife try’s to get in while it’s closing… door jumps back….on the the door top ( leading edge ) is a sensor that runs down the door edge …safety device to stop anyone being trapped….could be its faulty and triggering a response….

Hi @Barralad. ( nice video ) have the same setup ….the only time I’ve seen this happen is when the wife try’s to get in while it’s closing… door jumps back….on the the door top ( leading edge ) is a sensor that runs down the door edge …safety device to stop anyone being trapped….could be its faulty and triggering a response….
Thanks I'll mention this to dealer next time it goes in.

Hi. Did anyone find the issue. Mine is doing exactly the same as described and in the video above. Closes to 3/4 then opens back up. Only started when I picked it up from the mechanics. Anything to do with being up on the hoist and sensor was affected?

Mine had the same problem. Over time the cable stretches. I followed this video and it worked.
just make sure you purchase the clips for the side panel first as they always break.

Mine had the same problem. Over time the cable stretches. I followed this video and it worked.
just make sure you purchase the clips for the side panel first as they always break.
Incredible that there is no tensioning screw, all wire ropes stretch with use.

At the back of the white spindle there's a pre tension spring but not enough to help really. Mine was stretched 3-4mm max but made a world of difference after I did it. My only advice would be don't rush or panic when doing it and have someone to pass you the pick and screwdriver.

Back