Lukavell

DITryer. Sold!
T6 Legend
Hi all,

It's been a while but I'm back on the forum again now...

I've been looking at trading in my Caravelle, currently waiting for a Part Ex quote. I'm thinking about a Highline Kombi base van for a stealth swamper camper build and I'm currently spending far too much time on the configurator so thought I'd bother the forum again after a brief hiatus!

Comfort Dash.

After the Caravelle, I'd love to have the Comfort Dash, so I need to go with a Kombi, which is a bit more outlay but also suits my family dynamics. A problem with this is that I can't get the Climatic A/C with the comfort dash, which would be nice for jaunts in Europe and UK summer time. This is pure is madness by VW if you ask me! I might have to see if the dealers system says the same as I'm sure I read somewhere that this is not always the case. Anybody got any positive outcomes from doing so? I'd be keen to hear them.

If not I'll spec the sunroof and against my better judgment (due to all the leaking window stories I've read), the sliding windows in the rear seating area. Anybody got the sliding windows and not had leaks?

Halogen Lamps?

On the options list this is 177 GBP, which is considerably cheaper than the LED lights, which I have on the Caravelle and know are awesome. Question is, is this an upgrade to H7 bulbs from the infamous H4 units?

Deep Black Pearl or Acapulco Blue?

Colour choice is a personal thing and I'm leaning towards black. However I know that black cars get hotter when parked, are hard to keep looking clean. It does look awesome in black though!

I've read on here somewhere that the pearlescent paint will show up scratches more than metallic, which in turn shows them more than the non-metallic options, wondering what opinions you guys on here have on the subject? Hmmm, I do like the cherry red too... it's a shame you can't spec the solid colours like you can on a startline range or you can't spec a 4motion and/or DSG startline!

4Motion or DSG or both?

My current Caravelle has the 150 DSG and I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed in the MPG, I don't race it anywhere (often!) and struggle to get 35 MPG on a loooong run. Obviously with 4Motion I'd expect a drop in MPG and I'm happy to accept that but it has got me wondering if the gains in economy as quoted on the website by DSG are worth the extra 4k! Also, I have a nagging suspicion that the 6 speed Manual would be better for light off-roading I plan to do. Any experienced 4motion folk that can chip in would be most welcome.

Barn Doors Vs Tailgate?

Is there any other disadvantage, ie build quality etc, that a barn door rear end would have other than re-sale value over a tailgate? I don't know why, and I know it is against the grain, but I think the barn door backside is more aesthetically pleasing than the tailgate, plus I'm 6'7'' so I can't bang my head on the barn door version like I have before!

Oh yeah, VW leather seats mentioned in the accessories brochure? Anybody got them? What is the going rate? Are they as good as any of the plethora of aftermarket re-trimmers? The main reason would be for convenience as I spend a lot of time away so if I can just pick it up done it's one less thing I need to do.

Anyway, if you got this far, thanks for reading my ramblings. It's been quite therapeutic writing it all down and I look forward to any replies I might get.

My 2p’s worth:

I’d certainly recommend the H7s over the H4s if you don’t want to stretch to LED. I’ve had both and the H7s perform much better than H4s.

Hi all,

It's been a while but I'm back on the forum again now...

I've been looking at trading in my Caravelle, currently waiting for a Part Ex quote. I'm thinking about a Highline Kombi base van for a stealth swamper camper build and I'm currently spending far too much time on the configurator so thought I'd bother the forum again after a brief hiatus!

Comfort Dash.

After the Caravelle, I'd love to have the Comfort Dash, so I need to go with a Kombi, which is a bit more outlay but also suits my family dynamics. A problem with this is that I can't get the Climatic A/C with the comfort dash, which would be nice for jaunts in Europe and UK summer time. This is pure is madness by VW if you ask me! I might have to see if the dealers system says the same as I'm sure I read somewhere that this is not always the case. Anybody got any positive outcomes from doing so? I'd be keen to hear them.

If not I'll spec the sunroof and against my better judgment (due to all the leaking window stories I've read), the sliding windows in the rear seating area. Anybody got the sliding windows and not had leaks?

Halogen Lamps?

On the options list this is 177 GBP, which is considerably cheaper than the LED lights, which I have on the Caravelle and know are awesome. Question is, is this an upgrade to H7 bulbs from the infamous H4 units?

Deep Black Pearl or Acapulco Blue?

Colour choice is a personal thing and I'm leaning towards black. However I know that black cars get hotter when parked, are hard to keep looking clean. It does look awesome in black though!

I've read on here somewhere that the pearlescent paint will show up scratches more than metallic, which in turn shows them more than the non-metallic options, wondering what opinions you guys on here have on the subject? Hmmm, I do like the cherry red too... it's a shame you can't spec the solid colours like you can on a startline range or you can't spec a 4motion and/or DSG startline!

4Motion or DSG or both?

My current Caravelle has the 150 DSG and I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed in the MPG, I don't race it anywhere (often!) and struggle to get 35 MPG on a loooong run. Obviously with 4Motion I'd expect a drop in MPG and I'm happy to accept that but it has got me wondering if the gains in economy as quoted on the website by DSG are worth the extra 4k! Also, I have a nagging suspicion that the 6 speed Manual would be better for light off-roading I plan to do. Any experienced 4motion folk that can chip in would be most welcome.

Barn Doors Vs Tailgate?

Is there any other disadvantage, ie build quality etc, that a barn door rear end would have other than re-sale value over a tailgate? I don't know why, and I know it is against the grain, but I think the barn door backside is more aesthetically pleasing than the tailgate, plus I'm 6'7'' so I can't bang my head on the barn door version like I have before!

Oh yeah, VW leather seats mentioned in the accessories brochure? Anybody got them? What is the going rate? Are they as good as any of the plethora of aftermarket re-trimmers? The main reason would be for convenience as I spend a lot of time away so if I can just pick it up done it's one less thing I need to do.

Anyway, if you got this far, thanks for reading my ramblings. It's been quite therapeutic writing it all down and I look forward to any replies I might get.

The standard VW side windows do leak, some may not but I have seen many of them that do!! Not good really

H7 Much better light and better visually

Black is nice in a showroom, but a nightmare to live with. Personal choice as you say. I'd go for Blue as I wouldn’t want to be cleaning every 5 minutes.

Tailgate every time. More desirable as after sale also. No gap in windows or blockage in rear view mirror. Need less room to walk around when open also. Acts as a shelter when up from the elements. Head banging may be an issue, so that’s your call
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

Leather, good from factory but depends on the price. You can get a good retrim in your chosen unique colours pattern which may be cheaper than the VW option.

Good luck:thumbsup::thumbsup:

To add my 4 pennyworth on this;

Comfort dash every time, IMHO it really lifts the interior of the kombi, and not too much money to add it.

If you've already got LED's then they are a must on your next purchase. If there is one option I would spec every time would be LED's, neither of the other light options even come close, oh and the LED's look cool too. We actually spec LED on our our hire vans, as they help with future values too, and are safer at night.

Deep Black Pearl is high maintenance, as has already been mentioned. Your choice on this one. Im running black at present, first for nearly ten years and it'll be another ten years at least before I go black again! On a side note black is one of the best colours for re-sale off our forecourt!

35MPG is pretty decent. I always run 4 motions(unless TSI), as i prefer the way you can put the power down in any weather. Fuel economy will be worse of course. Don't forget to spec the diff lock. Re-sale on a 4motion is very strong. I wouldn't go less than 204/199 for 4 motion either.

Tailgate or barn doors - Id always say tailgate for aesthetics, and for practicality, but it not right for everyone. Again most/all of our rental vans are tailgate for re-sale.

And avoid the accessory leather/pleather like the plague, it really is low quality, and a right rip off. Save a few more quid and get a custom job done, you won't regret it .

PS if you need a price on a new van drop me a message.

Some great questions and also great answers from some experienced VW enthusiasts.

I don't have Leds as the base van I picked up was such a deal I could not say No. Do I wish I had them..... Yes. However my van is for leisure use and I have learnt to live with the below par headlights.

Colour wise, black looks awesome when clean but the expanse of paint on a van with its slab sides and rear seem to attract a lot of dirt and grim. I have starlight Blue which is also hard to keep clean. It will be a personal choice for you to make as you will have to live with it.

Tailgate all the way... For mainly all the reasons already stated.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the comments chaps.

@Eclipse Campers some good points in favour of tailgate that I hadn't thought about there.

Shame about the catch 22 with the dash windows conundrum but similar to what @BognorMotors has said in reference to the LEDs, once I've had the comfort dash I think I'd miss it, as well as the LEDs! So they'll stay on it...

I really want the 4motion for on road and off road capability. As such diff lock and hill descent control already specced! The DSG version is only available with the 204. I'm leaning towards DSG now after thinking long and hard today, it's too handy for long journeys and great in traffic.

It's all true about black too, but it looks so cool! Iwas messing about on photoshop earlier and put some bronze Black Rhino Barstow wheels on my config picture and it looked even better. I think I'll follow my heart on this one!

@$immo I thought they were good questions but it's always to have it confirmed so cheers!

Just tailgate vs barn doors now... hmmm...

@Eclipse Campers some good points in favour of tailgate that I hadn't thought about there.

Shame about the catch 22 with the dash windows conundrum but similar to what @BognorMotors has said in reference to the LEDs, once I've had the comfort dash I think I'd miss it, as well as the LEDs! So they'll stay on it...

I really want the 4motion for on road and off road capability. As such diff lock and hill descent control already specced! The DSG version is only available with the 204. I'm leaning towards DSG now after thinking long and hard today, it's too handy for long journeys and great in traffic.

It's all true about black too, but it looks so cool! Iwas messing about on photoshop earlier and put some bronze Black Rhino Barstow wheels on my config picture and it looked even better. I think I'll follow my heart on this one!

@$immo I thought they were good questions but it's always to have it confirmed so cheers!

Well thats easy....begins with T

They've put the prices up over night the Barstewards! Also changed the PS to 199 and the MPG & CO2 quotes are different.

Last edited:

I was toying with black but then went indium grey. I decided to play it safe and if I want a change later the I might go a Matt black wrap (£2500) but lasts for years - so I have been told and protects the paintwork...

I have a T5 with barn doors for my work van, T6 with tailgate for the camper. Both work well for their intended purpose. I’d go tailgate.

I’m running a 204/4mot/dsg/LWB/t32 & can get it to mid 40’s on a run, Mid 30’s knocking about. They are VERY sensitive to your right foot.

I was toying with black but then went indium grey. I decided to play it safe and if I want a change later the I might go a Matt black wrap (£2500) but lasts for years - so I have been told and protects the paintwork...

Yeah wraps are an option I suppose, although I doubt I'll have 2.5k spare for while after a purchase!

I have a T5 with barn doors for my work van, T6 with tailgate for the camper. Both work well for their intended purpose. I’d go tailgate.

I’m running a 204/4mot/dsg/LWB/t32 & can get it to mid 40’s on a run, Mid 30’s knocking about. They are VERY sensitive to your right foot.

That's very good mpg. I think I'm slowly convincing myself to go tailgate!

My 2p’s worth:

I’d certainly recommend the H7s over the H4s if you don’t want to stretch to LED. I’ve had both and the H7s perform much better than H4s.

Is that what the halogen bulbs option is?

I'd ask the dealer but I've confused them by sending a code from the configurator, apparently the 199 ps doesn't exist! Give me strength!

I have a 150ps manual 4motion and it seems like a good combo. I wanted DSG as well but would have had to upgrade to 204 so just too expensive. The light plus package goes from single H4 to twin H7. Half the price of LED and I reckon are fine for van-like speeds

I have a 150ps manual 4motion and it seems like a good combo. I wanted DSG as well but would have had to upgrade to 204 so just too expensive. The light plus package goes from single H4 to twin H7. Half the price of LED and I reckon are fine for van-like speeds
Remap it up to 187 ish BHP by REVO :thumbsup:

Back