Post 2012 Beetle.

GONA66

CARAVELLE
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Any advice on buying a Beetle , fancy a DSG model , Petrol or Diesel , any particular engine to avoid or to go for ?
Any experiences of ownership appreciated. :thumbsup:

I drove a friend's beetle for a few months, three years ago. It want the new model and from around 2007. But it wasn't huge inside, the boot was small and as it was a soft top it appeared to weight a tonne. But when filling with fuel the thing that put me off the most was the horizontal filler. There didn't appear to be anywhere for rain water to go.

I drove a friend's beetle for a few months, three years ago. It want the new model and from around 2007. But it wasn't huge inside, the boot was small and as it was a soft top it appeared to weight a tonne. But when filling with fuel the thing that put me off the most was the horizontal filler. There didn't appear to be anywhere for rain water to go.
Cheers for that ,not after a ragtop really too pricey and your correct the boot space on those are tiny ,it's only for me as a run around . It will be better for economy than my Caravelle and will be keeping the Caravelle mileage decent....love the Caravelle, but for shortish trips around town the smaller Beetle will be better and it'll get into those low height car parks..:)

we have had our 1.4tsi 2014 for 3 years now and the Mrs loves it(touch wood) it hasn't put a foot wrong. its pretty low mileage at 35k boot is a much better size than her previous 08 model. we are thinking of selling it after christmas though as need more space for the two children and two dogs and i refuse to use the van all the time.

My god they're ugly looking things. :think smile bounce:
If I was looking for a small VW run around I'd be looking at Polos.
I use to think the same ,but have grown to like them...everything else on the road is boring..:rolleyes:

we have had our 1.4tsi 2014 for 3 years now and the Mrs loves it(touch wood) it hasn't put a foot wrong. its pretty low mileage at 35k boot is a much better size than her previous 08 model. we are thinking of selling it after christmas though as need more space for the two children and two dogs and i refuse to use the van all the time.
Tempt me with the details ! :whistle:

Some of them were fitted with the 1.9tdi engine which are good for epic mileages (300k+) We had an Octavia with this engine and it was great and no DPF. I think it was only in the last year the engine was used that DPFs were fitted.

Some of them were fitted with the 1.9tdi engine which are good for epic mileages (300k+) We had an Octavia with this engine and it was great and no DPF. I think it was only in the last year the engine was used that DPFs were fitted.
last of the great high mileage VW's before they started going downhill reliability wise in my opinion.

I had a 2006 which was the original ‘new’ beetle but had a little facelift. I quite liked it but it was a 1.6 petrol so was gutless.

The newest shape look really nice and abit more muscular.

E01E201B-5781-41F2-BCF1-5DD19DA6BB42.jpeg

What about a scirocco I had one a few years back 2.0 tdi 184 brake! Didn’t appreciate it at the time as was a downgrade from a golf r but am contemplating on another for a runaround as I do like the look of them!

What about a scirocco I had one a few years back 2.0 tdi 184 brake! Didn’t appreciate it at the time as was a downgrade from a golf r but am contemplating on another for a runaround as I do like the look of them!
I remember the original, a good friend of mine use to work for VW ,he had a 1.6 petrol..couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding :laugh:.....my Triumph spitfire was quicker.......

The Scirocco is an excellent shout. My lad had one. It was a lovely car and I really wish I'd have bought it off him when he sold it.

Yes it was top spec r line leather etc I contract hired it for 2 years but at first disappointed as felt it was a downgrade and it was only a 2 door which was a pain with a little one but it did grow on me and got the urge for another now! Maybe a contender for a future classic as they don’t make them anymore

The Scirocco is an excellent shout. My lad had one. It was a lovely car and I really wish I'd have bought it off him when he sold it.
I dont think they are homologated for tow bars, which may or may not be a consideration. A friend had to cancel his order a few years ago as he tows a car trailer.

I dont think they are homologated for tow bars, which may or may not be a consideration. A friend had to cancel his order a few years ago as he tows a car trailer.
No trailer required, but useful information I didn't know. :thumbsup:

My wife has a 2012 1.4TSi manual Design model, which we have had for about 6 years. It's done 50k now and never put a foot wrong. It's not comparable in anyway to the previous 'new' beetle with the tiny boot and 2.0l petrol engine that wouldn't pull you out of bed! I really like it. They are cheap to run, good spec and nippy. The Fender sound system is very good and it sits quietly on the motorway at 70. Only downside is the mpg which is mid 30's, but it's an early 1.4Tsi with 160hp, so not expecting 50mpg and as we only do a few thousand per year now, isn't a problem. This car is a keeper for us as Mrs TitanCamper doesn't like anything else but if I was replacing, I'd like a shot of the 2.0 petrol DSG as I reckon that would be nice.

My wife has a 2012 1.4TSi manual Design model, which we have had for about 6 years. It's done 50k now and never put a foot wrong. It's not comparable in anyway to the previous 'new' beetle with the tiny boot and 2.0l petrol engine that wouldn't pull you out of bed! I really like it. They are cheap to run, good spec and nippy. The Fender sound system is very good and it sits quietly on the motorway at 70. Only downside is the mpg which is mid 30's, but it's an early 1.4Tsi with 160hp, so not expecting 50mpg and as we only do a few thousand per year now, isn't a problem. This car is a keeper for us as Mrs TitanCamper doesn't like anything else but if I was replacing, I'd like a shot of the 2.0 petrol DSG as I reckon that would be nice.
Thanks for the input ,undecided on petrol or diesel ,but I think I'm going to plum for a 2.0 Diesel DSG...going to look at one tomorrow.....the main reason for the purchase is to improve my fuel bill ,currently running at around £100 a week, plus it'll keep the mileage down on the Caravelle....was bobbing around in a diesel merc but that has been sold and I love the DSG boxes....easy on the knees ;)

Back