Possible to convert fixed seating to rail system?

jcarlosfox

Need help importing a van to USA!
Hello all,

Contemplating purchase of a 2017 T6 in México. They use fixed seating. Not sure if this is used in the UK T6.

Would anyone know of it's possible to convert a fixed seat to the rail system? Has anyone done it? Level of difficulty?

Thanks for any insight.

There are companies in U.K. who convert standard fixed rear seats to the sliding rail system as used in the Caravelles. It is quite an involved job, probably not for the DIY'r and is quite expensive. The seats and rails need to be fitted with proper crash tested mounts etc to meet safety standards

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm in the USA - so, this will be out of the question. The T6 sold across the border in Mexico has fixed seating.

I'm not sure what the UK equivalent of the Mexican T6 might be. I think they are actually assembled in Mexico.

JC

Our Kombi vans use a removable rear row of seats which I would have thought would be a similar set up, or do the seats you refer to in the Mexican vans not come out at all?

These seats are the same as we get over here in our 'standard' vans
They come in three configurations, a triple bench or a single and double (2+1) or three singles (1+1+1)
Your picture shows the triple bench in the rear and the three singles in front

The seating on the sliding rails only comes fitted to our 'caravelle' models
Just so you understand the normal setup for a caravelle conversion is to change the floor to a thicker floor with rails built into it and change the seats to ones that fix into the rails
The equipment to do this is likely to be a few thousand pounds locally

Great information, thanks!!

I am upgrading from a T4, and we go on long family vacations. The rear of the T4 is pretty comfortable for the kids. These passenger vans are all special order only, so no chance to even take a short drive.

If I might hijack my own thread, what has been the experience of standard van owners with passenger comfort on long trips? We looked at a Vito, and it was out of the question. More than an hour, and there would be mutiny.

I'd be happy to search the forums further. It appears the Mexican van is a standard Kombi, although they get the 140hp TDI with the DSG. Any help you might offer to identify the equivalent UK model would be a great help.

JC

Which model are you trying to identify ? The UK equivalent of the one you pictured above would be the shuttle
Heres the list of UK models with link to the relevant VW page
Panel Van - The VW Transporter Panel Van | VWCV Work vans
Kombi - The VW Transporter Kombi Van | VWCV Dual purpose 5 or 6 seats
Shuttle - The VW Transporter Shuttle | VWCV Full passenger carrier upto 8 seats
Caravelle - The VW Caravelle Passenger Van Range | VWCV Full passenger carrier (posh shuttle)
California - VW Camper Vans - California Range | VWCV Camper van range with lift up roofs

So, it sounds like the Mexican T6 is the Shuttle.

Perfect!

Once I own it, I'll know what to call it when I'm looking for upgrades, radios, roof racks, and upgrades dash bits.

Thanks so much!

JC

Back