Possible Cam Belt Tensioner?

Burrows1980

Hi,

New to T6 ownership, I’ve got a 68 plate on 16k miles, and noticed this noise when I first got it home. At the time just thought it was a characteristic of the engine, until I started to read on here about tensioner problems.

So recorded the engine idling today to see if you guys think it might potentially be a knackered tensioner:

If it is, do I just turn up to a VW van Center and book it in under warranty claim?

Gaz

Auxiliary drive belt / tensioner?

Rhythm sounds too slow for tensioners though. I would start with looking at the Auxiliary belt and check the tensioner too.

I am sure others will have a better view.

I had the same sound on mine under cold starting (cleared when warm).

A replacement aux belt sorted it for me.

I had the same sound on mine under cold starting (cleared when warm).

A replacement aux belt sorted it for me.
It sorted it for me for a couple of months then it came back with a vengeance.

The garage that replaced the aux belt said that it didn’t need a tensioner…..

After a month or so, it was terrible, slipping on the alternator and making a terrible noise. Much worse than before.

I changed the tensioner myself with a genuine part and fitted another new belt, despite the one they fitted only doing 1000 miles. genuine VW Tensioner and bolt was £73 and a Continental belt £13 from ECP.

The belt was overhanging the tensioner by a couple of mm, and I took a photograph of it with a thermal camera and it was hot after 10 seconds from a cold start on the edge overhanging the tensioner.

The belt that’s been on for 2 months has been damaged by it slipping on the alternator, with polished parts showing on the valley parts of the belt.

2F4187F6-D3EC-4418-9637-551977301256.jpeg

A707A676-4A88-4F70-BD31-AD33D43FBDF1.png

Last edited:
Back