Solar + PopTop: cable hole drilling advice

marksmithuk

T6 Pro
Hi guys and gals. I've put my solar on the roof and have the cable running externally atm to test everything is working as I need it. I'm drilling through my Skyline roof tomorrow to bring the cables down (outside of the canvas so it's just the top itself I'm drilling). I'm assuming I just drill with a wood drill bit and there's no worries of cracking the roof?

Hi @marksmithuk did you do this? Any pics of your install and the panel etc you used as I’m looking to do solar on my skyline and keen to see a few installs with different panels before I pick one.

Yea its nice and tidy now. I stuck the pannel down with 3m VHB tape and sikaflex , making sure there are air gaps inside but a sealed front edge. I kept the rear clear from adhesive to allow air to escape to help with cooling a bit. Then I drilled the holes, removed the connectors, put the cables through and added the connectors back on then tidied up the cables and attached them to the underside of the roof with clips and the same vhb tape. The cable to the controllers comes out through the grommets where the tailgate would go and the connects to the solar panel under the top of the pop top.

Only 2 holes were needed in the van and a small hole in the grommets to get the cables in and it means I didn't risk getting water in the van. I put a pit of stikaflex around the holes as well just to make sure it was water tight.

I also covered the

20210405_165336.jpg20210405_170014.jpg20210405_191044.jpg20210425_172742.jpg20210425_172805.jpg20210425_175242.jpg20210425_185257.jpg20210425_193312.jpg

I brought Roos cables through inside the poptop, above the wardrobe - maybe a foot forward of yours. If you bring them through the overhang, they're still 'outside'.
and you have to drill again to get them back in :thumbsup: unless did you trap them in the door seal?
Cheers
Phil

Great thanks for the pics. I’m keen to try and avoid drilling through the pop top within the canvas so this is what I was thinking too. Will need to have a look at the options for getting wire back in as I have a tailgate.

Yea I hated the idea of bring it in "inside" the van.

I suspect you can still pick up the same grommet depending on what's in there.

Looking to do exactly this. How do you ensure the cable doesn’t get caught when you lower the roof? Thanks

Back