Pop Top Wind Speeds

Discussion in 'General VW T6 Chat' started by Eli1264, 13 Sep 2019 at 19:34.

1. Eli1264

Eli1264 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Just thought before I part with lots of money, does anyone know what the limits of a pop top are in terms of wind speed limits

2. Daffy

Daffy Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    Not sure if you mean on the road or when camping.

Assuming you mean on the road, I have cruised many a mile at 130kmh on the continent with my Reimo roof without issues.

3. Davenjo

Davenjo Senior Member Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Assuming you mean when camping; a lot will depend on the roof - we have had our SCA up in some pretty serious winds, i.e. gusting 25+ MPH, without issue. I'm not happy having the roof up in such conditions but with 3 of us sleeping there is not much choice - much more wind than this I would pull the roof down. So far, with 100+ nights camping in the van, we have not had to close the roof during a camp due to wind. As a general rule, we always try to pitch such that the lowest side of the roof points into wind.

St4n99, $immo and Leehoops like this.
  4. Grainfoot

Grainfoot Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Had ours up in some very strong winds, gusting 45 mph. Tail to wind it has to be. It's not good as the whole van moves around quite a lot making it difficult to sleep. We have had to take roof down on occasions in stronger winds when we were worried about damage as the roof was partially collapsing in gusts.

Davenjo likes this.
  5. Markymark

Markymark Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Ditto regarding low point of roof into wind and only usually bring it down as it can be noisy/flappy in high winds rather than worrying about it being damaged. Ours is a Reimo roof.

Did have to drop the roof when at 2600m up in the Alps last March as snow was blowing in through the vent mesh and landing on my face!

Davenjo likes this.
Tags: