pop top spot lights

marksmithuk

T6 Pro
hi guys, I've had my pop top fitted and the plan was lights in the bed board but that won't work due to it being bifold and having a cover over the cab so need to for then down the side... but thats wherethe wires run... eeeek... don't want to drill a wire, has anyone managed to retrofit lights into the side supports after a pop top has been fitted ?

Yes today in fact! Along drivers No wires. On left lots of looms, I used a holesaw and went carefully.

CC594613-1642-4618-9D7C-5D8CBF86A0A4.jpeg

I did 5 holes today! Start on drivers side so you can see what you are dealing with. What diameter holes? Mine required 60mm. Just go slow when you are about to break through. The looms for me at least where against the van wall so if in doubt set lights towards edge or trim. Good luck

Hillside use a LED strip either side, each the full length of the poptop frame. Works well and takes up almost no space.

hi guys, I've had my pop top fitted and the plan was lights in the bed board but that won't work due to it being bifold and having a cover over the cab so need to for then down the side... but thats wherethe wires run... eeeek... don't want to drill a wire, has anyone managed to retrofit lights into the side supports after a pop top has been fitted ?
The N/S has all the vehicles loom, one slip and it's gonna be expensive!
I just run the cables for my lights down that side and had the pop top rigid support drilled just big enough for the cable and grommet before it was fitted. That pop top bracing adds rigidity as you have cut a huge hole in the roof, I didn't fancy cutting large holes in it.
I then bought surface mounted 5mm LEDs, made a 3mm ply copy of the n/s support. Cut out the size of the surface mount LEDs, bonded it to the support then covered the whole strip when I carpeted. You cannot tell that the ply is there now and the lights now fit flush.

I will take some pics for you tonight when I get home. :thumbsup:

The N/S has all the vehicles loom, one slip and it's gonna be expensive!
I just run the cables for my lights down that side and had the pop top rigid support drilled just big enough for the cable and grommet before it was fitted. That pop top bracing adds rigidity as you have cut a huge hole in the roof, I didn't fancy cutting large holes in it.
I then bought surface mounted 5mm LEDs, made a 3mm ply copy of the n/s support. Cut out the size of the surface mount LEDs, bonded it to the support then covered the whole strip when I carpeted. You cannot tell that the ply is there now and the lights now fit flush.

I will take some pics for you tonight when I get home. :thumbsup:
Pics...
IMG_20200720_151127__01.jpgIMG_20200720_151139__01.jpgIMG_20200720_151204__01.jpg :thumbsup:

if you use a shortened drill bit and a decent wad of tape around the circular saw it won't go through any further than necessary.

Back