Pop Top Solar Cable Run

dubLU

VIP Member
T6 Pro
The solar panels on my van enter the vehicle through the pop roof and can be seen at the end of the pop bedroom just in front of the rear canvas. From here they are surface mounted and run along the recess above the bed board recess to the B pillar. Here they then fold over the framing (very visible) and down to the floor and under the driver seat.

I really dont like the fold over the frame section and not too happy with the surface run along the pop bedroom.

Can anyone direct me too / advise me on a better (more hidden) way of routing the cables from the rear internal pop roof to the driver seat? Or should I just concentrate on tidying / hiding the current run using cabling trunking and carpeting?

Many Thanks.

Depends on the type of pop top you have, you might be able to pass them through the roof cassette and run them under the soffit to the B pillar

i dont know the pop top make. i'll post some pics on the forum tomorrow. Thanks

The usual route is across the back of the poptop floor, down onto the top of the wardrobe (the only visible bit) then down inside the wardrobe, through the cupboards & under the sink then exit at floor level just behind the drivers seat. I'm assuming its a camper?

Many thanks phil. my van is a camper. The pop floor cover the wardrobe top, so do I remove a bit of the bed board or drill through the metal frame?

Theres usually a small fixed part of the bed to which the main bed board is hinged, we drilled through that and the top of the wardrobe. Its all wood, I wouldnt drill the frame :)

I have been at the back of the bed area and came away convinced it was hinged into the metal, Ill get up there and check, fingers crossed it's hinged into a woody bit.

My bed is hinged into the rear metal frame at it's full length. The height inside my van has been noted by people who thought I had a bi-fold bed. So I will remove a small corner section to facilitate a re-route.

Theres usually a small fixed part of the bed to which the main bed board is hinged, we drilled through that and the top of the wardrobe. Its all wood, I wouldnt drill the frame :)
When your pop is up and bed down what is the lie of the solar cables at the rear end? I'm trying to understand where the pivot point is.

The solar panels on my van enter the vehicle through the pop roof and can be seen at the end of the pop bedroom just in front of the rear canvas. From here they are surface mounted and run along the recess above the bed board recess to the B pillar. Here they then fold over the framing (very visible) and down to the floor and under the driver seat.

I really dont like the fold over the frame section and not too happy with the surface run along the pop bedroom.

Can anyone direct me too / advise me on a better (more hidden) way of routing the cables from the rear internal pop roof to the driver seat? Or should I just concentrate on tidying / hiding the current run using cabling trunking and carpeting?

Many Thanks.
I would assume this was fitted after the roof/lining etc. Depending on roof, there is normally a section in the frame or (when frame is boxed in) an area where the cables can be installed, the OEM loom should be there also. The cables should be routed into this arear and run the length of the van, cable tied in etc and down B pillar, that way you will only see the cables at the rear end of the bed.

If the frame is all carpet lined in etc it is still possible but lining may need to be removed and refitted.

Rgds

Ian

Thanks Ian. The cables enter central. 10cm from the end of the pop. Should I run the cables on the pop roof to the actual rear and drop vertically there?

Last edited:
normally the cables from the panel go through the roof at the rear, from there they go into the void I mentioned above. do you have photos?

Thanks Ian. The cables enter central. 10cm from the end of the pop. Should I run the cables on the pop roof to the actual rear and drop vertically there?
If you want to come and see how I’ve done mine I’m in Ramsbottom

Back