HiLo Pop Top & roof rack...

Kev Liddle

Moring folks,

I've got a Hilo roof fitted and I'm looking to fit a roof rack to carry 3 kayaks, the roof is good for 60kg so the weight is fine, has anyone fitted or had any expiernce of these rack systems?

pop top roof rack

I'm undecided weather I should go for something like this or just fit the VW roof rails with cross bars? Again if anyone has any expierence of this I would really appreciate any feedback!

The thought of wrecking the roof is gving me sleepless nights! o_O

Cheers! :)

The 60Kg is a static load, don’t forget the forces exerted by air flow over the roof at speed.

Kev, Kombi-Rak is exactly what I was going to recommend to you, I/we had a demonstration of it at Busfest and once my roof is fitted this is what I will be buying for my sea kayak..
cheers Andy

Kev, Kombi-Rak is exactly what I was going to recommend to you, I/we had a demonstration of it at Busfest and once my roof is fitted this is what I will be buying for my sea kayak..
cheers Andy
Thanks Andy, do you have a link for that, I've had a quick search but it brings wall tiles, randomly! :think smile bounce:

Sadly the website is not up and running yet. Job for 2022 !!

Message me for details

John

Wall Tiles?? Lol!! Kev - See how you get on with @Johnboy57 I've got the literature from the show I have been looking for some time as I was having to hand lift my kayak onto the top of my discovery and I didnt want to risk damaging myself or my new van! This is a quality engineered product and just what Im after, if your stuck I can scan the information and send it to you...cheers Andy

We have the similar, and excellent, Reimo multirail system, so this should be fine. It's bonded and bolted through the roof. Your cross bars of choice then allow you to ft whatever carrying system you choose.

We use the utterly superb Zoeltzer "Hublift" for lifting / carrying a couple of 18ft sea kayaks. It's a side-loader but realistically probably isn't going to work for three boats. We use KCS J cradles which I recommend for sea kayaks.

The load rating of your roof should be ok - but it's not a great idea to have a load on when the roof is lifted! Excessive strain on the rear hinge attachments, not to mention the difficulty in actually lifting it. The boats are absolutely stable at speed.

I've heard about Johnboys system a few times now and I'd be interested in seeing it. Perhaps he could post a picture?

For some reason I now seem to be able to attach some images...... or maybe I've just been a bit of a numpty ??

Anyway, here's some pics....

I tried it with two bikes - three may be possible, haven't tried it yet. I quite like this arrangement as it will be quite difficult to steal the bikes when up so high.two bikes side.jpgtwo bikes top 1.jpg

Here's a top view of my van showing the rack and ski-box. Also a NOIR version installed on my mates black transporter....

Kombi-rak NOIR on black.jpg
Kombi-rak NOIR.jpgKombi-rak skibox top view.jpg

This is the Cali getting loaded up for Busfest..... and a NOIR version installed on a Nissan Qashqai.

John

Nissan qashqai.jpgIMG_6861[1].JPG

For some reason I now seem to be able to attach some images...... or maybe I've just been a bit of a numpty ??

Anyway, here's some pics....

I tried it with two bikes - three may be possible, haven't tried it yet. I quite like this arrangement as it will be quite difficult to steal the bikes when up so high.View attachment 139006View attachment 139007

Here's a top view of my van showing the rack and ski-box. Also a NOIR version installed on my mates black transporter....

View attachment 139010
View attachment 139009View attachment 139008

This is the Cali getting loaded up for Busfest..... and a NOIR version installed on a Nissan Qashqai.

John

View attachment 139012View attachment 139013
this looks amazing John! I’ve sent a pm…

John, Is your website up yet? I Googled Kombi-Rak but can't find the rack. It looks much more streamlined than the Karitek.

Thanks, I currently have a Karitek but it is not aerodynamic and I leave it off when not in use. I was wondering if your Rak was available yet for for how much as I would be selling my Karitek and buying the new Rak. No matter, I'll await it's commercial production.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Back