Pop Top Locking Clasps

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just prompted by another post but I have straps to hold my roof down and wondered if anyone in the same position had managed to convert this fitting to some sort of locking clasps. I didn’t realise there were different ways of securing the roof when I bought my van and I’d much prefer to do without the hassle of fastening and unfastening straps if there was a way?

I’m in the same boat and been trying to work this out. I have done a bit of searching and have found out that the catches that SCA use are made my southco (the ones you twist to tighten). I have been meaning to phone Banwy (U.K. SCA distributer) to ask if they could sell me just the catch kit and I would then retrofit them myself. I have also been looking at other twist type catches but haven’t found anything suitable yet.

I get a bit of wind noise from my roof but I think it’s because it’s never fully tightened down with the straps. I’m thinking that the catches would solve this.

Interested to see what others have done for this too if anyone has managed it!

They certainly look like they're up to the job. I don't have any wind noise problems with mine, just wanted something quick and easy to use but I don't really want to start doing things like riveting new fittings to the roof. I'd be worried I hadn't done it right and it would nullify my warranty. Was hoping for something that would just fasten over the existing loops.
Securing the roof with straps seems so primitive in this day and age.

Yeah riveting isn’t ideal but I thought I only had 12months SCA warranty anyways and I’ve had my pop top for longer than that now.

The other thought I had was connecting something To the fittings that are already riveted through the roof where the straps connect. This is the same location SCA attach their twist locks. I’ve ordered those eBay catches I linked to above. When I get them I’ll see if it’s possible to attach somehow without drilling the actual roof. It may be possible to attach the catch with webbing

How about threading something like this onto the roof strap. I hired a Jerba van previously and they used something like this on the van I hired. The clip remain threaded onto the strap which saves having to totally unbuckle the strap each time. You simply hook the end of the metal clip onto the van loop and pull the strap tight. It worked a treat.

DL075009 Black Powder Coated Metal Flat Hook

This item looks similar to the one used by Jerba, but I don't know who their supplier is so you will need to check the size, breaking strength etc. before deciding if you think it is up to the job.

How about threading something like this onto the roof strap. I hired a Jerba van previously and they used something like this on the van I hired. The clip remain threaded onto the strap which saves having to totally unbuckle the strap each time. You simply hook the end of the metal clip onto the van loop and pull the strap tight. It worked a treat.

DL075009 Black Powder Coated Metal Flat Hook

This item looks similar to the one used by Jerba, but I don't know who their supplier is so you will need to check the size, breaking strength etc. before deciding if you think it is up to the job.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that :thumbsup:

Just to bump this thread as I am now in the market for an alternative solution to the Reimo lashing straps - did anyone of you guys come up with an aftermarket alternative?

Just to bump this thread as I am now in the market for an alternative solution to the Reimo lashing straps - did anyone of you guys come up with an aftermarket alternative?

I thought about doing the same when the Reimo warranty was up. I was going to fit a couple of heavy duty toggle catches.
Now I can say that I’m used to the standard strap mechanism and there is no chance of it failing. I’ve used toggle catches on small boats and they can tend to stretch a bit and need adjusting.
Something else to consider is getting up and down to the upper bed without raking your skin over a protruding catch.

Good site that Loz linked, lots of stuff!

Well I regretted ever starting this thread, I tried using some catches that I got and one of them ended up getting caught, leading to the rip in my canvas that launched a whole disaster of a thread :( Straps are fine for me now...

Well I regretted ever starting this thread, I tried using some catches that I got and one of them ended up getting caught, leading to the rip in my canvas that launched a whole disaster of a thread :( Straps are fine for me now...

Ah didn’t realise that’s what caused the tear. Maybe the straps on mine are tolerable. :thumbsup:

Any advance on this gents? Looking for some nice anodized claw clamps as alternative to ratchet straps or similar, gotta be a tidy alternative out there somewhere....

Hi everyone, I'm the other way I'm just about to remove catches to fit straps I've currently got rubber rally bonnet toggles which stretch to undo so they also flex allowing roof to move, with the straps I have designed in to my idea using them as a stop also to make sure in windy conditions the roof does not put stress on the hinges, previous owner/ idiot also put them on the outside which it's going into the body shop to be removed

Back