Pop Top Bed Help

jambono5

VIP Member
Hi

I'm after some advice regarding making a pop top bed, I have a skyline pop top fitted but instead of buying the bed they provide I have decided to make a bed using a piece of 15mm ply. I have a couple of queries if anyone else has chosen this;

1. How far forward do the beds normally finish? I obviously want the bed as long as possible but at the same time need to be able to access the bed and roof handles.

2. I have been looking at using gas struts from SGS engineering, I was going to get the adjustable type as I am unsure of the force needed. What length/force are normally used for these beds? Also does anyone have any pics showing mounting type/position?

Thanks

not sure of complete rules and technical spec etc.... my understanding is that with some bed conversions
is that the fit and strength of the bed base retains/maintains the roof strength once the roof has been
cut out.
I assume that if this rigidity is compromised then the van will move/squeak when in motion etc?

Not sure about positioning of struts - our SCA was installed by the converter.

The installer I used said that he didn't fit the skyline bed and normally makes his own as they are stronger. I didn't see the point in paying someone to make a bed from wood when I could do that myself with wood that I had.

I've used 15mm ply which is fitted snugly and hinged, there is no movement in the board and it shows no signs of flexing with 2 people up there.

The only thing I am struggling with is the position/size/force of the gas struts for lifting.

The installer I used said that he didn't fit the skyline bed and normally makes his own as they are stronger. I didn't see the point in paying someone to make a bed from wood when I could do that myself with wood that I had.

I've used 15mm ply which is fitted snugly and hinged, there is no movement in the board and it shows no signs of flexing with 2 people up there.

The only thing I am struggling with is the position/size/force of the gas struts for lifting.
Buy the gas struts from skyline........
You'll also need the brackets.
If you breakdown the time taken, materials, faffing around etc the cost of the bed is not bad.
We've used sgs in place of SCA struts previously and that will be the only time. Took an hour to fit :mad::mad:, far too much pressure and they were specced by sgs as a replacement.
It pays sometimes to buy the correct parts.
Fitting the struts is all down to measurement. And height/angle of bed. Depends on hinge point of bed, might be trial and error. Pressure of struts depends on weight of bed. Im sure sgs can help you spec the struts.
Good luck
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice, just trying to save a few quid and enjoying doing the work myself, every little helps......

Any photos of strut mounting types/positions?

Thanks for the advice, just trying to save a few quid and enjoying doing the work myself, every little helps......

Any photos of strut mounting types/positions?
the positions will be different depending on the reasons I have oulined above. I could give positions of a REIMO bed, but these are different to SCA for example.

Yes that would be great, I understand that there are a lot of factors that will affect this but it will just give me a guide

Back