Polish out swirl marks??

• Thread starter Deleted member 224
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 224

Hey guys
My pride and joy has some undesirable swirl marks from last time it was washed

What is the best way to get rid of them? Is it enough to apply some polish by hand ?

I’m no expert in detailing but do want to look after the paint work.

I don't mean this to sound churlish as it's not meant to sound like that but, its best not to get swirls in the first place by using some of the methods currently being discussed in the detailing sections as all "polishing out" of swirls involves depletion of the clear coat.
You can use some of the very fine polishes first like Autoglym super resin polish and see if you get the results you desire but if they are bad you might need something more aggressive like farachela c3 that starts off medium then reduces to fine as you use it.
You may find that a fine polish rounds off the edges of the swirls enough to make them less obvious.
Also unless you have a decent polisher it will be difficult to get a great result for your time involved.
You may be better getting a local detailler to give it a correction polish one off detail and give you a better head start to keeping swirl free?

appreciate the response and i didn't find your comment churlish. I deeply regret washing my van with a wire brush and sand :)

I was thinking along the same lines of getting a local detailer to sort it and then i can accept a lesson learnt and start over with my washing routine. its hard sometime to put the effort in to keep them looking so good and follow the correct procedure.....

Personally, even though I use a machine polisher every day, and have done for the last 11 years, restoring different surfaces though. I wouldn't even attempt a job like that myself, and get a good detailer to do the work. I've seen too many poor DIY machine polishing jobs, and they look worse than the swirls did in the first place.
I'm not saying I couldn't do it, because I more than likely could, but for what a detailer would charge, it's just not worth the risk.

Reactions: Loz
I used Auto Finesse Tripple applied by hand.
It made a noticable improvement to the swirling and contains a wax aswell.

I agree with the above, and wouldn't fancy DIY machine polishing as getting it wrong can make the finish worse.

Back