Plywood Floor - What Type/Grade?

xpfloyd

T6 Legend
This question will no doubt split opinion but I am wondering what type/grade of plywood I should use for my 12mm floor. I will have 9mm ply battons bonded to the van (made out of the 9mm ply lining that came with the van), then a 12mm floor followed by 2mm Altro flooring.

Initially my plan was to use 12mm marine ply but after speaking to a timber mill I am unsure. They said that marine ply would delaminate over time the same as standard exterior ply. The price difference is £45+vat for marine ply (8x4) vs £15 + vat for Malaysian exterior grade ply (8x4). They recommended using the cheaper ply and treating it (ronseal, cuprinol etc). I am also wondering how wet it would ever get ?

What have others used? Should I just pay the premium for marine ply or is it overkill? (I need 2 8x4 sheets for my LWB)

Hello, we went for marine ply as it wasnt a big difference here price wise. im also like you wondering how wet/damp it'll get..

we've also done the altro flooring, i used some scissors for sheet metal to cut it and it went easyish but im not 100% convinced by the altro...bits seem to be coming off evertime we go into the van.. im hoping after a while this will stop!

There is no real need to go for the extra expense of marine ply, ordinary 12mm will do, it is more than resilient enough for a van floor and will still be there when the van is scrapped. The only real difference between marine and standard exterior is the amount of voids in its core, the marine has less but there isn't a lot in it. The wood used and the glue is 90% of the time identical

Having pondered it a bit I am just going to get standard exterior grade plywood. I just dont see it getting enough wetness for it to cause damage. The price difference is substantial since I need 2 sheets.

@Colinlp - What you are saying about marine ply is what the timber mill also told me. They could have easily told me to buy the expensive stuff but didnt.

@scotia My plan for the Altro is to cut it 10mm bigger than my 12mm floor by drawing around it and then trimming to suit. What sort of stuff is coming off your floor?

sorry i didnt see this reply.. i think its the grit coming out of the altro but im not sure.. seems to be getting a little better with time.

I have always used a 12mm marine ply albeit not in my T6. The old Vivaros I had were essentially used as skip lorries half the time and had a lot of waste go in the back. The marine ply always lasted well although I never kept my vehicles for more than 4 years.

I fitted my floor at the weekend and ended up using 12mm exterior ply and altro. If it ever needs replaced In the future it is removeable albeit will be a pain in the a** . Im hoping it will be fine though as it shouldn't be getting wet.

I made an enclosure out of exterior ply to house a dust extractor back in 2001. It was untreated and been out in all weathers since then and is still serviceable; I'm sure your floor will be fine for the duration of the life of the van

I should be at the flooring stage in a week or so... just wondered though... has anybody gone to the expense of getting a larger sheet and doing it in one piece?

Back