Ply Lining sizing - 3.6mm or 6mm?

I was told the 6mm doesnt flex enough (In places) to bend to the contours of the van. I ordered 3.6 and its all gone in OK - just had to relieve one hole in the roof panel to get the panel clip in.

That said, if you plan on using ply strips as cover panels between the roof sections I’d get these in 6mm - I snapped one of mine getting the packaging tape off!

I also varnished all the edges to seal the layers, with an oil based polyurethane.

Ian

I was told the 6mm doesnt flex enough (In places) to bend to the contours of the van. I ordered 3.6 and its all gone in OK - just had to relieve one hole in the roof panel to get the panel clip in.

That said, if you plan on using ply strips as cover panels between the roof sections I’d get these in 6mm - I snapped one of mine getting the packaging tape off!

I also varnished all the edges to seal the layers, with an oil based polyurethane.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Just starting to strip out interior, (prep for sound proof and insulation). Took roof sections off but central plastic cover strip is firmly held on by clips. Do they give if pulled hard enough?
Thanks
Airfix61

Have you got some trim tools? I used a V shaped one with an angled end to lever them out. They were a bit tight and went with a loud pop.

Thanks Ian,
Just searched Toolstation - they have a full set but currently out of stock. Will probably make up a bespoke tool from some metal trim.
Thanks again.

Ian
Hi
Where did you get your 3.6mm ply from?

Hi Guys,
I am looking for DXF drawings of the ply panels for a LWB transporter. I would like to do some mods, but don't have the equipment to measure up the panel and draw it out.
Any assistance would be appreciated

Hi guys, so i ordered the 6mm panels before stumbling upon this thread.. So i seem to have an issue where the fixings wont go into the hole as they are not long enough, so i bought some more from ebay but then they don't seem to go in far enough to open up and clip in. Are there clips available for the 6mm or do i have to resort to screws?

Thanks

Daniel

Cheers, yeah those are the ones I picked up don’t seem to, for the life on me and a hammer want to go in .. hmm maybe those might be a different shape .. will have a look thanks though

When I fitted mine I found it easier to twist them in and they sort of screwed themselves in

Aah there aren’t the screw type unfortunately ( see photo) . Just tried screws not sure, what do you think? 16567E7D-0F44-46E4-999C-B647FEC8D96B.jpeg17FF9CFE-36CD-4749-8625-6EFCD96F52D1.jpeg

Sorry you twist the left one in, shouldn’t have to but it makes it a lot easier and take the centre pin out first then insert once flush

Back