Ply floor and insulation installation

Hcooper

Looking for some advice fitting my ply floor. Planning on 9mm batons glued down, 7mm insulation and the 9mm floor over the top screwed down. The more I look into it I haven’t seen anyone install insulation over the floor completely but just in between the batons. Anyone tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sound insulation between the batons (Silentcoat) and thermal insulation across the whole lot, before screwing the ply down.

Pete

That's great, thanks guys. Will have a look into those batons. Bought a small sheet of ply thinking that would be enough

Hello, hope you don’t mind me jumping on the back of this tread.

I have also bought the packer set in the recommendation and would be interested to know what people are using to stick the batons to the floor?

Thanks

I used sikaflex, I'll post my build thread so you can see the amounts of material that I used

No thermal coating on the floor.....only the walls & roof
The floor is just silent coat between the batons which fits under the step no problem

I know I went to town with the silent coat and thermal liner but cost wise is wasn't that expensive and if I'd not done full coverage I'd have only saved £50 or so which is a minimal saving compared to the overall cost of the van

Anyway, my OCD wouldn't let me leave any bare metal :rolleyes:

Thats a lot of silent coat! Did you put thermal insulation over this? If so did you manage to get it all to fit under a kombi step?
It’s possible to apply 2mm Silent coat under the Kombi step, I stuffed sound deadening foam in the stiffening cells of the plastic step and applied 10mm self adhesive foam to the horizontal surface of the plastic step.

No thermal coating on the floor.....only the walls & roof
The floor is just silent coat between the batons which fits under the step no problem

I know I went to town with the silent coat and thermal liner but cost wise is wasn't that expensive and if I'd not done full coverage I'd have only saved £50 or so which is a minimal saving compared to the overall cost of the van

Anyway, my OCD wouldn't let me leave any bare metal :rolleyes:
I think most people go over the top with both sound deadening and thermal insulation. I have used a ton of silent coat on the sides, I later found out it’s unnecessary, you only need to cover a certain percentage of the panel to prevent panel boom. It’s heavy stuff to. Similarly with the thermal side campers leak heat through windows like stink so it’s not worth going too overboard. Might get a few more sheets of silent coat for the floor as I need some for side panel and maybe cab doors as well.

I used a one piece ply floor so that on it's own is good for sound and heat insulation so didn't bother with thermal lining the floor
Each to their own though.....there's probably no 2 vans done exactly the same :thumbsup:

IMO insulating the floor could cause issues with retained moisture, it’s the lowest point so any condensation elsewhere may find it’s way down and any spills or leaks could end up under the floor. Water in that area could result in delaminated plywood and possible floor replacement.
I have 2mm silent coat, ply and Altro floor, the Altro surface is cold in winter even with a Diesel heater but I’m not sat in the van with my bare feet on the floor.

Thread resurrection - sorry...

I'm just preparing to carry out floor insulation and lining in my van so this is all good info. I'll do as @Superowls and packer with 9mm and silent coat all the gaps.

Just looking at those packer kits and the price is way up - now £45 +VAT for a kit, and they're on back order. It would be interesting to know the total area of ply needed - since an 8x4 sheet is £24 from B&Q (and that's going to be way more than needed).

My plan is - 9mm ply packers - 2mm silent coat on the remaining exposed metal - 9mm ply floor (since I've already got) - and Altro floor on the top.

Hopefully a Kombi step covers that?

I wouldn't bother paying out for the batons unless you want to save a couple of hours. I think I had the same size 9mm ply from B&Q and managed just, if you measure them out well.

Back