Please Read - Virus

Discussion in 'General VW T6 Chat' started by XZO, 22 Mar 2020.

1. XZO

XZO Senior Member T6 Pro

This was sent to me by a friend - I cannot vouch for it but it makes sense to be careful anyway:

"Serious message. Yvonne who is Assistant Director of Nursing at QE Hospital has said they’ve had a message today that virus seems to be spreading quickly via petrol pumps so they advise to wear gloves when filling up or use paper towel and bin straight away. Can you please pass this around anyone you know. Could make huge difference".

2. Teesix

Teesix Senior Member T6 Guru

This has turned out to be a hoax but it's still always a good idea to wear the gloves.

3. cgtmiles

cgtmiles Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

The virus survives for 3 days on ALL hard surfaces.

Wash your hands or use alcohol gel if you can’t whenever you touch anything before you touch your face etc!

Shredder and Ghost like this.
  4. Murdoch

Murdoch Senior Member T6 Guru

Map
    Shopping trolleys and baskets may turn out to have been super spreaders .... just think of all the people that use them every day

Shredder, DXX and cgtmiles like this.
  5. James1000

James1000 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

6. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    You have to assume that any surface you touch outside of your home could have been touched by an infected person.
    Therefore you have to work in cycles where you don’t touch your face until you have washed or sterilised your hands.
    Once your back home and have washed your hands etc, then scratch your face or rub your eyes etc.

went to get fuel yesterday.
    Got out of the car, removed fuel cap, got small jerry out of boot opened that(all parts in my sterile domain) then put a nitrile glove on right hand , grabbed pump and filled, returned pump, removed glove binned it, then put fuel cap back on, jerry away.
    Mrs Loz went in and paid (used pin pad) came back to car used hand gel. I used the gel as well, then we are good to go and if I rub my eyes or touch my face unconsciously whist driving then I will be okay.
    It all sounds a bit ocd, but right now we have to assume everything is hostile outside of our home domain.

blackheart, Ghost, Ads_Essex and 5 others like this.
  7. James1000

No pay at pump option then you still have your gloves on?

8. Loz

Map
    No PaP at our local shell station otherwise yes, I would have used it, card in left hand, pin with gloved hand.

James1000 likes this.
  9. Dieseldonkey

Dieseldonkey 150 DSG Shuttle Conversion VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    My job means I have to touch controls that others have touched. They get wiped down with anti bacterial wipes first. However, I've taken to wearing surgical gloves for the whole shift. Sounds odd, but having them on your hands all day, actually stops me touching my face. Its like a constant reminder and so far for me, it works.

Ghost, .50, TitanCamper and 1 other person like this.
  10. bullracing

bullracing Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Bloody hell. Not crap on here too. How it can live on a petrol pump covered in petrol and deisel boggles the mind. More likely on the pay at pump keypad which is at sneeze height or on the cash people pay with!

They have said it can only last 4hrs on copper.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2020
  11. James1000

Let alone trolleys and baskets

bullracing likes this.
  12. bullracing

bullracing Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

arrr nightmares just thinking about it.

James1000 likes this.
  13. James1000

Got a feeling my full tank from two weeks ago is going to last a while though - I’m now on Weeks Per Gallon - not MPG

C4DBAD7D-D064-41E2-984F-8FFE191D62EA.jpeg

bullracing and cgtmiles like this.
  14. Mud Digger

Mud Digger Member VIP Member

Map
    My Tuppence worth is gloves put up a false sense of security... does anyone gel or wash their gloves .. Touching multiple surfaces with contaminated gloves and not washing the bug away off their hands ... thinking i wore gloves i wont or don't need to wash my hands ...

so many reluctant people not wanting to throw the gloves away or change for a new fresh pair is further spreading the problem onto others , rather than use a damp bleached cloth or anti -bac wipe first.

And a reminder you only need a Capfull of bleach in a bucket of water .. any more is just a total waste and it wont clean any better but just strip color and damage your skin and equipment ( PH scale will show you ) skin is 5 clean plane water is 7 its already 100 times more Alkaline than your skin 8 is 1000 times stronger 9 is 10, 000 times bleach is a 12
    ( skin is already 100 times more acid than water if you work down the scale and 10 x each way )

Nick

bullracing and Cherokee like this.
  15. Dieseldonkey

Map
    That's an interesting and informative read Nick. Have to say though, it doesn't reduce the amount of hand washing I do. But as a training tool and preventative measure for touching my face, it's been invaluable. I'm actually shocked how much I touched my face subconsciously each day.

bullracing, Mud Digger and cgtmiles like this.
  16. cgtmiles

I used to work in biotech facilities fully gowned up and I do like the idea of wearing gloves as it does stop you touching your face or you at least think twice about it. But it’s definitely not an alternative to washing etc.

The other thing about this is that if you wear gloves all day every day your hands start falling apart. I used to go in in the morning and only come out when the job was done (wouldn’t be able to do this now as I would need to come out for a pee every 20mins!) and after a week or so of doing that your hands look like a dead persons!

17. Dieseldonkey

Map
    @cgtmiles I'm willing to put up with dead person hands for a few weeks. Dead person lungs however, not so much. ;)

Last edited: 24 Mar 2020
    St4n99, hoggle, Vall and 2 others like this.
  18. cgtmiles

:) Good point, well made!

19. Loz

Map
    The scientists say the virus can live on surfaces for 72 hours,
    The pump handles were clean and had no petrol or diesel on them to kill the virus as I expect the garage is cleaning them, but they are not cleaning them between users.
    so as your not a scientist, I'll ignore your advise and carry on with my precautions.

LakesT6, Ghost, Noddy996 and 2 others like this.
  20. Phil_G

Phil_G Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Heres a tip - fill up only to £30 then pay using contactless.