Please Help Me Decide On The Seating Arrangement

Chris B

Morning all.
My head is spinning with all the decision making, whether I choose pre-owned or new, I will be spending a lot of money so I want to get it right.
I have a bit of an odd family but I love them all to bits, so I want them all to enjoy my van equally. Its complicated.
Most of the time it will be my two kids and I, three seats, easy!
Every third weekend it will be us three and their step-Dad and one or both step-brothers. So five or six seats required.
I don't intend for all six of us to sleep in the van, we have tents for these occasions. Obviously, therefore, I then need lots of luggage space.
My ideal seating arrangement would be two front, single removable middle and three seat rib bed on sliders. Has anyone done this?
Having spoken to numerous installers, I get the impression it's a lot of work/expensive? I am also, disappointingly, getting the impression that, despite offering bespoke conversions, no-one really wants to do anything too much out of the ordinary.
If the rib bed is on the 20cm sliders, does that mean the whole seat moves forward 20cm to give an extra 20cm boot space? Does anyone make a slider greater than 20cm?
Could my 2/1/3 layout work in a swb, as I mentioned I don't plan to use the bed when there are six of us?
Obviously a 3/3 layout would be easiest to find and if the general consensus is that 3/3 is the way to go, then my mind will be settled somewhat.
Again, I look forward to your advice.
Cheers
Chris

The issue with a 3/3 is whether the front bench is comfy enough for when you want to go longer distances.
The 20cm slide offered by rib is in the seat mechanism itself - so the seat frame is bolted to the floor and then the seat base/back slides 20cm forward and back on the base.
yes I think you can do a 2/1/3 in a SWB but it will impact your boot space as you'll need to slide the rear seat back to make the single seat usable.
Few places I'd suggest are worth talking to:
Colin at Oxford VW T4 T5 caravelle and kombi Conversions and seats sales. - Home Page
Clough at Home - VW Camper Conversions - UBERBUS - VW T5 T6 transporter camper conversions

Front bench is fine, I have this so I can seat 6, once in a while. Had the front bench on a T5 panel and now on a T6 Kombi, fine for an adult and kid, two kids, but cramped for 2 adults.

Loads of luggage space in the rear with 3-3, ideal for camping.

3+3 would seem easiest in a SWB as it will have enough room behind for storage. Our converters, Bodans in Shrewsbury are fitting our 112cmRIB to caravelle floor rails so we can move it forwards or backwards to suit our needs at the time. They were excellent at helping us decide and if you look at their facebook page they are not averse to taking on the unusual, may be worth a call. Bodans Campervans

Take a look at the VW Beach with 3 seats rear, 2 extra seats can be added in the middle and 2 seats up front.

I keep looking at Kombi's as a base vehicle for a conversion because they have a two seat front and what looks like (to me) removable rear seats as a single and a double? Are the rear seats removable? If so, if the single remained, would there be enough room for a rib bed behind?

5 seater, 2+1 in rear, is an option 3 seat bench is standard. about £150 extra well worth it either single or double comes out easily, double folds flat and single also tilts forward

Both the T6 Kombi rear seats fold flat, single and double.

A T5 single doesn’t fold only tilts forward

I keep looking at Kombi's as a base vehicle for a conversion because they have a two seat front and what looks like (to me) removable rear seats as a single and a double? Are the rear seats removable? If so, if the single remained, would there be enough room for a rib bed behind?
Rear seats are removable. Don’t know if you’d get a rib bed in behind.

Rear seats are removable. Don’t know if you’d get a rib bed in behind.
I had an afternoon out yesterday and visited a few converters. One had a lovely swb van for sale, with removable rear seats. They assured me that they could (have previously) fit a bed in the back with the rear seats still in place but, obviously, the bed could only operate as seating in this configuration. So off I went to find someone to fit a roof and supply a camper pod, to replace the drivers side and middle seats, when required. I explained my plans and was unanimously told that there was no way that they would work, there would not be enough legroom, whatsoever, for anyone to travel on the rear seat/bed with the middle row in place. This will only work in a lwb they said.
So now I am extremely confused.

I had an afternoon out yesterday and visited a few converters. One had a lovely swb van for sale, with removable rear seats. They assured me that they could (have previously) fit a bed in the back with the rear seats still in place but, obviously, the bed could only operate as seating in this configuration. So off I went to find someone to fit a roof and supply a camper pod, to replace the drivers side and middle seats, when required. I explained my plans and was unanimously told that there was no way that they would work, there would not be enough legroom, whatsoever, for anyone to travel on the rear seat/bed with the middle row in place. This will only work in a lwb they said.
So now I am extremely confused.
Have you looked at the exploria Kombi bed? Might be the ideal option for you.

Have you looked at the exploria Kombi bed? Might be the ideal option for you.
Thank you, but I need the bed to be seating for travel, on the occasions that the whole family (6) are travelling.
I think I will just have to go for a standard 3 up front and three seat rib, at least that is tried and tested.

Thank you, but I need the bed to be seating for travel, on the occasions that the whole family (6) are travelling.
I think I will just have to go for a standard 3 up front and three seat rib, at least that is tried and tested.
Yes you can. The bed does not interfere with any seating 5 or 6 seats. We have one in ours. Check them out

☺ They are a great looking bit of kit but I am looking at losing the drivers side passenger seat and possibly the middle, to facilitate the fitting of the furniture. So I will end up with either a 2/2/2, 2/2/3 or 2/1/3, which is why the bed must be seating aswell.

Back