Planning ahead with wheels and suspension

Mikeje

VIP Member
We got our T32 this week and it already feels like me have a long list of mods we want to do. One for next year is alloys and lowering. Think we’re probably looking at 18s as they seems a good compromise between comfort and look. Want to lower the van to see if it’ll help handling. Not Interested in slamming the van as we tow a caravan and carry a lot of stuff in the van. Can anyone recommend the best approach to lowering. Have read loads about springs and shocks but now totally confused.

We got our T32 this week and it already feels like me have a long list of mods we want to do. One for next year is alloys and lowering. Think we’re probably looking at 18s as they seems a good compromise between comfort and look. Want to lower the van to see if it’ll help handling. Not Interested in slamming the van as we tow a caravan and carry a lot of stuff in the van. Can anyone recommend the best approach to lowering. Have read loads about springs and shocks but now totally confused.
Hi @Mikeje ...I’m on 30mm eibach springs with Koni shocks on 18” sportline wheels ..but don’t tow..Great improvement on factory setup ...I had all my suspension fitted by @CRS Performance they can give you loads of help or advice....my van is so much more comfortable and a pleasure to drive :)

Hi @Mikeje ...I’m on 30mm eibach springs with Koni shocks on 18” sportline wheels ..but don’t tow..Great improvement on factory setup ...I had all my suspension fitted by @CRS Performance they can give you loads of help or advice....my van is so much more comfortable and a pleasure to drive :)
Hi. Thanks for that I’ll speak to them to see what kind of money i’ll neeed to save for the changes. would you be able to share a picture of what the van looks like with 18s and the 30mm drop?

@CRS Performance would you be able to send me a PM quote for the above to give me an idea of what I’d be looking at please?

Hi. Thanks for that I’ll speak to them to see what kind of money i’ll neeed to save for the changes. would you be able to share a picture of what the van looks like with 18s and the 30mm drop?
Hi @Mikeje ..As far as costs ..did mine in stages...but if I did it again ..I’d do suspension first..then wheels/tyres...but there’s some pics

431CF6AA-28A8-4FED-A391-755BD49D9303.jpeg

My proposal is KWV3. I have been using it for 6 months. Completely different car, comfort, no roll, it drives on the track what the driver wants. Unfortunately, waiting for KWV3 is long, but it's really worth it.

My proposal is KWV3. I have been using it for 6 months. Completely different car, comfort, no roll, it drives on the track what the driver wants. Unfortunately, waiting for KWV3 is long, but it's really worth it.
Sorry but what are KWV3s And what makes them so good?

Sorry but what are KWV3s And what makes them so good?
KWv3 are adjustable damping rate and adjustable ride height coil overs. They are very well thought of, not just in the world of transporters. If you want modest lowering and don’t plan on messing with the height at a later date coil overs aren’t necessarily for you. You’re paying for features you don’t need.

There are so many options for transporter suspension now that it can be a real mine field getting it right!

For a few hundred quid you can put some lowering springs on and get up to 50mm lower, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Many owners, including me when I ran them, have found the ride quite harsh and crashy/bouncy.

Another option is good quality aftermarket sports shocks matched with lowering springs, again, up to about 50mm lowering will work here. This is a popular choice with owners on this forum, with all those that run them rating them very highly for both performance and comfort. This is one to speak to Steve @CRS Performance about. More expensive than springs alone, but cheaper than most coil overs.

Next up are coil overs. These are height adjustable and sometimes damping adjustable. The height can be adjusted to suit your needs at any given time and this can be handy for those who don’t want to be stuck running the same height all the time. Those that are damping adjustable have the added benefit of enabling an expert fitter to set them up to give the owner the best balance of ride/handling characteristics possible. These are typically, but not always, more expensive than height adjustable only kits. Steve @CRS Performance do some gorgeous coil overs that are both damping and height adjustable and Oli @BognorMotors has an eye watering number of products available that fit the bill here.

It can be difficult knowing which to choose and reviews are only worth so much, one man’s comfortable is another man’s back breaking hard.

One problem here is that Oli and Steve are competitors who have different brand preferences and very rarely would a competitor recommend someone else’s product.

KWv3 are adjustable damping rate and adjustable ride height coil overs. They are very well thought of, not just in the world of transporters. If you want modest lowering and don’t plan on messing with the height at a later date coil overs aren’t necessarily for you. You’re paying for features you don’t need.

There are so many options for transporter suspension now that it can be a real mine field getting it right!

For a few hundred quid you can put some lowering springs on and get up to 50mm lower, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Many owners, including me when I ran them, have found the ride quite harsh and crashy/bouncy.

Another option is good quality aftermarket sports shocks matched with lowering springs, again, up to about 50mm lowering will work here. This is a popular choice with owners on this forum, with all those that run them rating them very highly for both performance and comfort. This is one to speak to Steve @CRS Performance about. More expensive than springs alone, but cheaper than most coil overs.

Next up are coil overs. These are height adjustable and sometimes damping adjustable. The height can be adjusted to suit your needs at any given time and this can be handy for those who don’t want to be stuck running the same height all the time. Those that are damping adjustable have the added benefit of enabling an expert fitter to set them up to give the owner the best balance of ride/handling characteristics possible. These are typically, but not always, more expensive than height adjustable only kits. Steve @CRS Performance do some gorgeous coil overs that are both damping and height adjustable and Oli @BognorMotors has an eye watering number of products available that fit the bill here.

It can be difficult knowing which to choose and reviews are only worth so much, one man’s comfortable is another man’s back breaking hard.

One problem here is that Oli and Steve are competitors who have different brand preferences and very rarely would a competitor recommend someone else’s product.
Thanks @ChrisR thanks for the detailed explanation. It’s cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I’ll definitely speak with @CRS Performance as I’m not looking for ability to adjust hight but comfort and handling is a high priority when towing the and not towing.

This isn't true, as we have been fitting konis purchased through CRS, - We will always recommend the best product for someones needs, regardless of who supplies its. Our opinions of which is best, of course differ ;-) For 95% of our suspension customers, coilovers are still the best option in our opinion.

I think people get caught up with the height adjustment on coilovers and not needing this - But for most once the hight is set that is it - Its the ability to set the height in the first place which is key, and to have a matched set of shocks and springs, is always our preferred route.

The market is flooded by lots of very good suspension options presently, from all the big manufactures, all doing the same thing, but each with their own advantages, these suppliers include, and we supply them all;

Bilstein
KW
ST
H&R
Koni
Twin Projekt
Solo

You really are spoilt with options :)

This isn't true, as we have been fitting konis purchased through CRS, - We will always recommend the best product for someones needs, regardless of who supplies its. Our opinions of which is best, of course differ ;-)
Thanks for that Oli, I try and keep up with all your suspension posts, but missed this! Happy to be corrected.
That is a comprehensive list of options!

No worries. The selection of great suspension is too good at present.

And don’t forget all of our suspension fitment includes a full alignment ;-)

Indeed we are spoilt for choice at the moment but i would like to add some words of wisdom to the Coil over kit debate . Its no secret i was initially against them for a few reasons, but we do seem to have overcome those issues with our KONI /H&R coil over kit and it has been widely accepted by the Transporter customers we have helped .
The things to watch out for apart from the obvious DONT GO TOO LOW !! Is to ensure that the kit you buy is TUV approved if you intend to travel in to Europe , Many countries in Europe will want to see proof of the TUV certification if your van looks low !! I met a guy the other day who had friends who were denied entry to a particular country due to excessive drops from Kits that didn't have TUV approval . Sobering thought if you are just about to begin a holiday ?
Any Mods to the chassis and mountings should be avoided at all cost . The main stream suppliers of suspension on this forum dont do any of these mods ( I think ) but if you are offered them , avoid it . CRS dont sell any products that arent TUV approved and we wont be selling excessive drop kits as the problems with Bump steer and drive shafts angles are very real issues . Ground clearance is also an issue if you go on to camp sites or rough terrain .

Back