Planar Heating System

Hi @Andyman I was in the same situation as you and looking at night heaters, looking at alternatives to the German models, Eberspacher D2 or Webasto Air top.
I have had both, D2 my current T5 and the Air top in a rather large motorhome, both are simple to use and work really well.
I’m at the beginning of another conversion and asked is there anything equivalent but cheaper?
I spoke in length to a supplier of all of the above plus mV and Planar heaters, he mentioned the following

- cheaper models pull greater amps on start up
- cheaper models slower to heat up

The main reason for me to choose the German version, Eberspacher was the quality of the controller, which will bring the look of the conversion up, so for about £100 notes difference I think it’s worth it.

Good hunting

Thanks for your input it truly is appreciated

A T6 caravelle is a great vehicle but it comes with a long list of drawbacks, the usual things available for transporters are just not so readily available for the velle, basic things like curtains, have been an absolute nightmare, have had the plastic trim ruined, headlining damaged, just to get some curtains properly installed, and still struggling (hoping that’ll change this week)

Off to that website now

I too am struggling, is there a decent website for Velle items?

Sadly people say it’s the same as a transporter but it never is, I’m already looking at trading down to a transporter

I wouldn’t be doing that, I have had 5 transporters in 7 years and I always worked towards having a Caravelle.

Bless, mine has been so damage by idiots pretending they can do things but they can’t, I e got a lot resting on someone else this week and that’ll be my decision maker

Bless, mine has been so damage by idiots pretending they can do things but they can’t, I e got a lot resting on someone else this week and that’ll be my decision maker

I've got the same or similar side mouldings and headlining in a Shuttle. Can take a few pics at some point of how I fitted curtain rails without damaging the headlining if this helps.

anyone got one of these installed? Any good? Any advice appreciated

If the Planar has a similar fuel pump to the Webasto Airtop, you can tap into the auxiliary coolant heater fuel supply instead of fitting an entirely new stand pipe into the fuel sender module. May help save some pennies on labour costs.

I've got the same or similar side mouldings and headlining in a Shuttle. Can take a few pics at some point of how I fitted curtain rails without damaging the headlining if this helps.

Would love to see pics, you'd be horrified to see what the butcher did to my headlining and plastics, had to buy whole new plastic trim for doors and hopefully someone from here who knows his stuff is going to remedy the ret for me

If you don’t mind that would be great

I'm having the same debate at the moment. I can't decide what brand. Planar about £650 fitted. Eberspacher about £1200-1300. Quite a big difference.

I was advised that you should look at after sales support.....if the heater breaks down abroad, is your installer going to fix it, or the manufacturer who may have support world wide.....cant imagine many converters fixing their installation when you are on the continent.....good advise from Jonny Slidepods imho.

I was advised that you should look at after sales support.....if the heater breaks down abroad, is your installer going to fix it, or the manufacturer who may have support world wide.....cant imagine many converters fixing their installation when you are on the continent.....good advise from Jonny Slidepods imho.

Who offers this service? No UK company is going to offer worldwide cover surely on a heater?

Yes bring back to base cover whilst under warranty I understand and expect but not sure.

I’m intrigued though... tell more! :)

Webasto have a good dealer network. Webastos guarantee is good for where ever you are provided their approved installer has been used, I don't think that this has changed. ( I am fairly sure that warranty of the heater alone irrespective of who fitted it still applies for Webastos unlike Eberspächer)
Quote from Webasto "Only a Webasto Authorised Partner/Dealer can register and commission your Webasto Heater, and only registered heaters will be covered by the Webasto Worldwide 3 year warranty." A dealer can certify your own installation to enable registration.
An idea as to their presence:
webworld.jpg

We have the Planar installed on our camper and it’s a great product from the heating side, if slightly let down by the control panel which is not at all intuitive or user friendly.

If planar bring the control panel into the 21st century it will become the go-to product as so much cheaper than the competition.

2kw Chinese Diesel heater, purchased for £125, LCD digital controller and remote, all works a treat, decided if it packs up after 12 months ill buy a Planar, but it works fine and is really quiet too!

2kw Chinese Diesel heater, purchased for £125, LCD digital controller and remote, all works a treat, decided if it packs up after 12 months ill buy a Planar, but it works fine and is really quiet too!

Do you have a link please?

Back