Planar Heating System

@UNiCAD I bought the 2kw one as well, turns out it was a de-tuned 5kw model. I input 5kw settings and it now runs even better and produces more heat quicker. Result!! :thumbsup:

see my build thread for a look at it..

I've got a 5kw Chinese heater running in my garage. Very happy with it so far .paid £122 with LCD and remote control.

Not had it long but so far more than happy. Set the timer and she’s nice and warm before work and when I get in after work.

I've got the planar heater in mine. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. It switches on when I press the button and off when I'm finished with it and gets the van nice and warm in between. And it was half the price of the others. Jobs a good'n. I found the controls really simple to use. Been using it for 2 months now and absolutely no problems at all. My missus sleeps cold and was very impressed with the warmth it kicked out in minus temperatures in the lakes back in March

I've got the planar heater in mine. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. It switches on when I press the button and off when I'm finished with it and gets the van nice and warm in between. And it was half the price of the others. Jobs a good'n. I found the controls really simple to use. Been using it for 2 months now and absolutely no problems at all. My missus sleeps cold and was very impressed with the warmth it kicked out in minus temperatures in the lakes back in March

Hows it going with the planar heater. You still happy?

Was it external install? Was it Tee'd into aux fuel line?

Did you install yourself or use installer?

Still going really well. Only problem I've had with it is that when the heater kicks in it causes the battery voltage to drop sometimes. There's a safety mechanism built in to the heater and the fridge (dometic) that when the voltage gets too low (<10v) they shut down. This has only happened when I've had other stuff plugged in to charge eg laptop, phones, tablets so suspect it's more a problem with the battery capacity than the heater. Need a bigger battery I reckon. It could be the fridge that's causing this on the same hand when the compressor starts. It's only happened twice in 12 months. Took it back to the place I got it done (northwestdubs) and they think the same. It's not been an issue. All I've had to do to start the fridge is start the engine. To get the heater working I've given it a good run to charge the battery up or park it in the sun so the solar panel does the work. I spend 3 nights a week in the van as I use it for work so it's been absolutely hammered. The thing is on all night at the moment. Hardly uses any fuel. I've read about people having all kinds of mares with the high end ones so I'd say they were a sound bet

Still going really well. Only problem I've had with it is that when the heater kicks in it causes the battery voltage to drop sometimes. There's a safety mechanism built in to the heater and the fridge (dometic) that when the voltage gets too low (<10v) they shut down. This has only happened when I've had other stuff plugged in to charge eg laptop, phones, tablets so suspect it's more a problem with the battery capacity than the heater. Need a bigger battery I reckon. It could be the fridge that's causing this on the same hand when the compressor starts. It's only happened twice in 12 months. Took it back to the place I got it done (northwestdubs) and they think the same. It's not been an issue. All I've had to do to start the fridge is start the engine. To get the heater working I've given it a good run to charge the battery up or park it in the sun so the solar panel does the work. I spend 3 nights a week in the van as I use it for work so it's been absolutely hammered. The thing is on all night at the moment. Hardly uses any fuel. I've read about people having all kinds of mares with the high end ones so I'd say they were a sound bet
Sounds pretty positive. Did northwestdubs install externally under van? How much did you pay all in for installation?

Living three days a week in it is a super recommendation.

Planar Pete (on Facebook) does mobile fitting installed a Planar 4D in my daughters Sprinter. Works a treat, although still not worked out the ins and outs of the controller. She is very happy with it as it currently living in the van full time in Devon whilst field sampling for her PhD research. I think is was £1050 fully fitted including all the extra ducting, connectors and end grills. Hers is fitted internally.

I think he is happy to travel far and wide from Berkshire.

We have a Planar. It works fine and heats the van no bother.

I agree with others that the control unit is not a intuitive as it should be.

And also, my main gripe is that when I turn it off it commences its shutdown cycle, which involves keeping the fan running for 5 minutes but with no heat. It's so annoying - I just get the van nice and toasty, so turn the heater off, then it precedes to blow cold air into the van till it finally shuts down.

Is this normal?

And also, my main gripe is that when I turn it off it commences its shutdown cycle, which involves keeping the fan running for 5 minutes but with no heat. It's so annoying - I just get the van nice and toasty, so turn the heater off, then it precedes to blow cold air into the van till it finally shuts down.

Is this normal?
Is your heater internal or external?
Where is the heating air inlet?
If it’s been built with a fresh air inlet rather than as circulating it would be cold.

Is this normal?
WHS^^^^ and if the fan switched off immediately you run the risk of warping the heat exchanger and overheating plastic components.

If it’s not right under the drivers seat look for an inlet grille in the drivers footstep.
These would be the two usual inlets, if you an external heater it should be connected to an internal air inlet, usually in the front drivers step.

Agree with the comments about the control unit but I’ve had the mobile controller fitted and it’s a game changer. Very easy to set on a timer and you can switch it on remotely - we were sat with the kids in the pub last night and fired it up by just sending the van a text message. Would highly recommend

Just had my 125quid 2kw diesel heater delivered today from ail Baba. i can probly get through 4 or 5 of these before any where near cost of a Webasto..... if i have to swop all the pipework will be in place already :)

Back