Planar heat output is poor

Minkyt5

So I fitted a planar 2D heater to the T6. Fitted it to the instructions but the heat output is disappointing to say the least.

How hot should the air blow from the vents. Mines measuring 46 degrees, feels less powerful than an hairdryer!

No error codes but the output temperature doesn’t change with the power settings. (Just the fan speed changes)

Anyone else had similar issues?

cheers

Got some pics of the install and setup.?

That will help the situation

Unfortunately not yet. It’s under drivers seat, shortest fuel pipe run possible, pump within 1 meter of tank and angled at 20 degrees. Not sure what else could be wrong....

46 degrees seems hot enough.

Are you saying the air flow rate is low?

Have you got anther setup to compare it too? ... ie know any1 with a similar heater?

My mate had an eberspacher in a sprinter and I remember that it was a lot hotter.

Air flow rate seems fine.

I have had it on and the van temperature has only gone from 7 degrees to 12 degrees in 30mins

Are you heating internal air or external air? What is the inlet air temperature? You will never heat a van with 46 degrees but where are you measuring it?
46 degrees is almost 1/3rd of what I would expect immediately at the outlet on a Webasto. You should have at least 100 degrees at the outlet. ( It isn't that temp at every point at the heater outlet as it becomes mixed as it exits, usually at the centre)
More details as to the install would help.

Are you heating internal air or external air? What is the inlet air temperature? You will never heat a van with 46 degrees but where are you measuring it?
46 degrees is almost 1/3rd of what I would expect immediately at the outlet on a Webasto. You should have at least 100 degrees at the outlet. ( It isn't that temp at every point at the heater outlet as it becomes mixed as it exits, usually at the centre)
More details as to the install would help.

yep that is what I thought. Heater is installed internally so intake is internal air. According to the control panel the intake temp is 7 degrees.

I’m measuring the 46 degrees output directly out of the heater (no ducting)

That intake temp is not cold enough to have that much effect.
Something is not right - have you bled the fuel line fully with no signs of air in the fuel filter or lines as an air lock can cause low output.

Are all the fuel line joints correctly made with no gaps between fuel line and corresponding spigots?

That intake temp is not cold enough to have that much effect.
Something is not right - have you bled the fuel line fully with no signs of air in the fuel filter or lines as an air lock can cause low output.

I have removed the fuel filter as I thought it might be an issue. Checked all the lines except the pickup from the fuel tank. I’m thinking of trying a direct feed from a container to eliminate the tank pick up. To bleed the pump I turned it vertical for a few seconds as per instruction manual. Is there another way to bleed the system?

You have used the correct 1.5mm/2mm fuel line and not fuel hose haven't you? Large bore will cause problems. No downward loop after the pump?
Easiest way to bleed without a pulse generator is have a 12v source of 2 wires and tap on the terminals of the pump once disconnected from the heater. Short length that you have should only take 30 or so taps.

You have used the correct 1.5mm/2mm fuel line and not fuel hose haven't you? Large bore will cause problems. No downward loop after the pump?
Easiest way to bleed without a pulse generator is have a 12v source of 2 wires and tap on the terminals of the pump once disconnected from the heater. Short length that you have should only take 30 or so taps.

yes the correct bore pipe. No downward loops. Fuel pipe after pump is around 1 meter long. Pump is a silent one and is quiet (I believe they are noisy if air in the system) looks like I might have return the unit and get them to bench test it.

I would give it a good bleed through before returning it. Bleed it through into a jar/can until you can see that the fuel is coming through in an even pulse and then carry on for a little while after. All diesel has microscopic air bubbles in it so if you have an incorrectly made joint air locks can form:

joint.PNG

So I fitted a planar 2D heater to the T6. Fitted it to the instructions but the heat output is disappointing to say the least.

How hot should the air blow from the vents. Mines measuring 46 degrees, feels less powerful than an hairdryer!

No error codes but the output temperature doesn’t change with the power settings. (Just the fan speed changes)

Anyone else had similar issues?

cheers
So I’ve just had mine fitted yesterday by Autoterm , when they ran it up to test it, it had really poor output. The guy fitting it instantly knew it was a faulty fuel pump, swapped it out and bingo, no issue (once all the air was out of the system and it primed properly) seems they’ve had a faulty batch of pumps, told me he’d found a few recently, I’d get in touch and see if they can send you another

If the heater is firing correctly it should be fine, if not firing properly likely a fuel supply issue.

So I’ve just had mine fitted yesterday by Autoterm , when they ran it up to test it, it had really poor output. The guy fitting it instantly knew it was a faulty fuel pump, swapped it out and bingo, no issue (once all the air was out of the system and it primed properly) seems they’ve had a faulty batch of pumps, told me he’d found a few recently, I’d get in touch and see if they can send you another
Thats interesting to know. I sent mine back (pump also) to the supplier who did a full bench test and could'nt find any problems. Its fully installed now but I'm not over happy. It took 1 hour to raise the inside temperature of the van from 2 degrees to 14 degrees. Might be worth buying another pump to see if that cures it..

Have you checked the 'Power value' in the settings? these are set to 5 normally but go to 9. This is the minimum and max power, perhaps yours is set to low. Its in the settings menu on the by T panel page, scroll down. Cheers
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have you checked the 'Power value' in the settings? these are set to 5 normally but go to 9. This is the minimum and max power, perhaps yours is set to low. Its in the settings menu on the by T panel page, scroll down. Cheers
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yep its set to 9. The heater keeps the van warm once up to temperature. Its just slow to heat up on a cold day....

Shame its not that. Are you drawing air in from external or internal van? They are not instant and take 5 mins or so to warm up. They will take longer on cold day as they need to heat teh colder air o combustion. How long are you talking?

Back