Ethan Andrews

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I am after fitting a reversing camera to my T6 which only has the non camera composite media unit.

I have weighed up all of the options, and it all
comes down to money And how good the systems are. I also want car play. And with that in mind I wonder if there is any point in buying a dedicated Sat Nav unit. And instead I could just mirror my iphone and use Google Earth or Apple maps. Or waze maps. Which would all have live map / traffic data. But I would be reliant on having a good data connection and wouldn’t get the complete accuracy you get with a dedicated Sat Nav.

With so many similarities draw to the T6 and Golf. It’s a shame that Pioneer don’t do a dedicated Car play navigation system. They do one for the Golf VIII, Polo 6C and Octavia 5E.

They do a dedicated unit that looks very OEM for the Fiat Ducato. But sadly only list these units for the Transporter T6:

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/cip/Volkswagen/T6/2018/Navigation%20Multimedia%20Receivers

This is the Navigate unit

CamperNAV

Alpine do an OEM unit but it doesn’t look as VW OEM as the Navigate EVO unit. X802D-U is the old unit. And X803D-U is the new one.

Alpine — X803D-U — 8” Touch Screen Navigation with TomTom maps, compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Pioneer with ancillary items
to ensure MFD operates as normal. Price also of camera. Wouldn’t have much change from £1400.

Alpine varies, but is the more expensive item starting at around £1200 for just the head unit. With camera plus ancillary items still in top.

Then there is the VW unit ebay appears to be available in just one place in the UK here at £1600
https://www.satnavsystems.com/product/vw-discover-pro-navigation-system/

And finally there is an option to have my composite media unit updated to be camera compatible. But at £850! There is apparently the option in the future for a DIY upgrade but not as yet.

Volkswagen Composition Colour Reversing Camera Retrofit

So any thoughts. I am thinking the VW Discover Media Pro may be the best option.

Or a non navigation unit such as Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB. AVH-Z9200DAB - Car Multimedia Receivers

Does anyone have any functionality experience of any of these units? Or could provide any positive suggestions?

I've got the Alpine and love it
Works on my vw camera (Rear) and shows on MFD

Always use google maps for the navigation ! I don't think anything else as such good up to date traffic information. ?????
I may be told I'm wrong !!!!

Sometimes use its internal NAV but not sure I like it as mush as google maps through car play

I was always a Garmin fan But now I like my google and its so easy to look for stuff on computer then just send to phone with google makes my searches so easy !

Kenwood that @Absolut5 recommends looks mint too

Kenwood model number?

There is also a
typo from predictive text about the VW Discover media It’s got nothing to do with Ebay! Should have read ‘only’ not Ebay!

I've got the Alpine and love it
Works on my vw camera (Rear) and shows on MFD

Always use google maps for the navigation ! I don't think anything else as such good up to date traffic information. ?????
I may be told I'm wrong !!!!

Sometimes use its internal NAV but not sure I like it as mush as google maps through car play

I was always a Garmin fan But now I like my google and its so easy to look for stuff on computer then just send to phone with google makes my searches so easy !

Kenwood that @Absolut5 recommends looks mint too

Thank you that’s really useful. Are: The MFD. so your Sat Nav instructions come up on there too?
And the rear parking sensor GUI comes up similar to VW version. And does camera show fixed or moving lines?

I am after fitting a reversing camera to my T6 which only has the non camera composite media unit.

comes down to money And how good the systems are. I also want car play. And with that in mind I wonder if there is any point in buying a dedicated Sat Nav unit. And instead I could just mirror my iphone and use Google Earth or Apple maps. Or waze maps. Which would all have live map / traffic data. But I would be reliant on having a good data connection and wouldn’t get the complete accuracy you get with a dedicated Sat Nav.

With so many similarities draw to the T6 and Golf. It’s a shame that Pioneer don’t do a dedicated Car play navigation system. They do one for the Golf VIII, Polo 6C and Octavia 5E.

They do a dedicated unit that looks very OEM for the Fiat Ducato. But sadly only list these units for the Transporter T6:

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/cip/Volkswagen/T6/2018/Navigation%20Multimedia%20Receivers

CamperNAV

Alpine do an OEM unit but it doesn’t look as VW OEM as the Navigate EVO unit. X802D-U is the old unit. And X803D-U is the new one.

Alpine — X803D-U — 8” Touch Screen Navigation with TomTom maps, compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

to ensure MFD operates as normal. Price also of camera. Wouldn’t have much change from £1400.

Alpine varies, but is the more expensive item starting at around £1200 for just the head unit. With camera plus ancillary items still in top.

Then there is the VW unit ebay appears to be available in just one place in the UK here at £1600
VW Discover Pro Navigation System | SatNav Systems

And finally there is an option to have my composite media unit updated to be camera compatible. But at £850! There is apparently the option in the future for a DIY upgrade but not as yet.

So any thoughts. I am thinking the VW Discover Media Pro may be the best option.

Or a non navigation unit such as Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB. AVH-Z9200DAB - Car Multimedia Receivers

Does anyone have any functionality experience of any of these units? Or could provide any positive suggestions?

Our preference is the Kenwood DNX 9190dab with its HD motorised reverse tilt screen, the best by far regards to sun glare, you can see it in the brightest of light.
Garmin nav Wireless Apple CarPlay. Android auto, twin usb, cd/dvd/SD, reverse camera input plus the ability to control the optional dash camera

It is the quickest operating system. After boot up, will display the parking sensors, mfd sat nav directions

Drop,us a pm or call and il go through all options

Thank you that’s really useful. Are: The MFD. so your Sat Nav instructions come up on there too?
And the rear parking sensor GUI comes up similar to VW version. And does camera show fixed or moving lines?

Sat nav turn info on MFD yes

Rear VW camera has the fixed guide lines

CamperNAV

Defiantly go see Jason @Absolut5 There are mint !

So what did you end up getting?

I'd like to think the 2020 models will have wireless apple CarPlay, waiting on seeing if Alpine do a 10 inch Halo adjustable with wireless CarPlay:whistle:

I'd like to think the 2020 models will have wireless apple CarPlay, waiting on seeing if Alpine do a 10 inch Halo adjustable with wireless CarPlay:whistle:

Kenwood do the DMX8019dab which is a cracking unit with wireless CarPlay.. many on here have purchased them from us

Alpine have a new Halo, the 904, same size screen, built in nav but no Wireless CarPlay,

Cheers Jason,

I've seen those, i'm just interested in seeing what is released next year, we should be seeing more wireless CarPlay in a lot more models.

Both those headunits are well priced, im interested in what the OP ended up with.

I'll be seeing what arrives down under next year, as our range here is limited compared to what you get in the UK

Hiya Bryn,

Well I have had one of these just delivered this morning. Pioneer AVIC - Z920DAB.

I haven’t actually opened the box yet. I had to buy an interface for the MFD and another to make the steering wheel controls work plus a DAB windscreen aerial as I am not sure in comparability with the VW DAB aerials in the wing mirrors.

I am still not totally decided on whether to keep it or not. Overall and with Black Friday sales discount and 2 x front and rear cameras it came to £1.3k. And I have to fit it of course.

The Alpine starts off at £1.5k. There is a company in London that will fit the OEM Discover Media Pro but £1.6k for the unit and £2k for one camera.

I also looked at a Kenwood DNX9190DABS. But I am not sure if any extra kit is required as per what I have had to but for the Pioneer.

AVIC-Z920DAB - Car Navigation Multimedia Receivers

Hiya Bryn,

Well I have had one of these just delivered this morning. Pioneer AVIC - Z920DAB.

I haven’t actually opened the box yet. I had to buy an interface for the MFD and another to make the steering wheel controls work plus a DAB windscreen aerial as I am not sure in comparability with the VW DAB aerials in the wing mirrors.

I am still not totally decided on whether to keep it or not. Overall and with Black Friday sales discount and 2 x front and rear cameras it came to £1.3k. And I have to fit it of course.

The Alpine starts off at £1.5k. There is a company in London that will fit the OEM Discover Media Pro but £1.6k for the unit and £2k for one camera.

I also looked at a Kenwood DNX9190DABS. But I am not sure if any extra kit is required as per what I have had to but for the Pioneer.

AVIC-Z920DAB - Car Navigation Multimedia Receivers

If you purchased from us we would have supplied it with everything that is compatible with your T6

We retain the factory parking sensor display
Dash usb
Factory dab and fm aerials
Mfd support for sat nav directions

The Kenwood DNX 9190 dab is a superb unit and our preferred choice, as it has the HD reverse tilt screen, even the brightest of sun does not affect it. Super quick Os

Dash camera input ..

If you purchased from us we would have supplied it with everything that is compatible with your T6

We retain the factory parking sensor display
Dash usb
Factory dab and fm aerials
Mfd support for sat nav directions

The Kenwood DNX 9190 dab is a superb unit and our preferred choice, as it has the HD reverse tilt screen, even the brightest of sun does not affect it. Super quick Os

Dash camera input ..

Hi it’s not too late. I can still return the goods especially as I am still waiting for the cameras which are out of stock.

Although Pioneer cameras do get the best reviews.
I also had no idea where ai was going to mount the front camera. I wondered with if it would go inside the grille fog lights with a bit of modification.

Please can you quote me for both the Kenwood DMX8019dab you recommended to Bryn and the DNX-9190DAB.

Email address is zygomaxilla@gmail.com

Many thanks

Hi it’s not too late. I can still return the goods especially as I am still waiting for the cameras which are out of stock.

Although Pioneer cameras do get the best reviews.
I also had no idea where ai was going to mount the front camera. I wondered with if it would go inside the grille fog lights with a bit of modification.

Please can you quote me for both the Kenwood DMX8019dab you recommended to Bryn and the DNX-9190DAB.

Email address is zygomaxilla@gmail.com

Many thanks

I’ve sent you a Pm...

I have just fitted a reversing camera to my T6, I have the AVIC - Z 720 DAB in my van, no problems so far

CamperNAV

Back