TSi MPG

Just selling my 4motion tdi 180 and don't miss it really, feels much more nimble with just FWD - less weight and rotating mass etc - saps power although yes if it's slippy it's nice to have. Fuel consumption would be especially bad too.

Last edited:
The problem with fwd is trying to put 300 plus hp though it and I was told you can turn off the Traction control no the 4motion

Why is 300hp an issue, torque is what matters with wheel spin apparently and its lower than a remapped tdi still. Tsi will just keep revving when a tdi runs out of puff

If it was not a problem they would not make the golf r with 4motion or Ford rs with 4 wheel drive and merc a45 amg

If it was not a problem they would not make the golf r with 4motion or Ford rs with 4 wheel drive and merc a45 amg
But in a van the power to weight ratio is much less and you're hardly going to be chucking it around/taking it to track on it's limit. Down the bypass or just generally on the road I can't see how it'll be a problem - I'll let you know soon when I get mine done!

Last edited:
The problem is you can't accelerate in a curve without crazy front wheel spin that make you understeer like a crazy. That is a big NO for me. But some guy's upgrade power only for straight line then I guess it's OK to have FWD.
I'm not one of those. for me FUN is Curve.

Plus I spend winter in snow and their 4mo is lot of fun specialy with ESP mod to turn it Off.

But then you just don't put your foot down as much?

Agree though - if we had more snow I'd be keeping my 4mo - well impressed by it. But much prefer the new (non dsg, 4mo, diesel) van in the dry.

But then you just don't put your foot down as much?
But then you are slow specially going uphill on twisty mountain roads. Because you have to wait to have at least wheel straight before you can flat out.
No fun compare to flat out from apex of the curve.

Many curve that I will take need to be done in second or third gear this will crazy wheel spinning specialy going uphill. all power going smoke from that inside front wheel.
Only solution to stay FWD would be anti slip dif in front. Like those fwd car with power.

Given that the TSi unit is, as far as I can see, the latest iteration of the EA888 engine, is the manual gearbox the same that is fitted to the GTi and R manuals ?

Anyone know.

It is not the latest iteration of EA888.
It's EA888 Gen 2 that is used On audi B8 A4/A5, and Amarok TSI.
So:
- it's not EA888 GEN1 as Golf GTI 6
-It's not EA888 Gen 3 as on MQB platform ( Golf 7 GTI and R, Audi A3 S3, Audi A4 B9, SEAT Cupra........

My guess is same gear box as T6 TDI. I will double check on ETKA
The DSG gear box is a DQ500 that we share with Audi RS3 and many other's. can handle 700Nm

It is not the latest iteration of EA888.
It's EA888 Gen 2 that is used On audi B8 A4/A5, and Amarok TSI.
So:
- it's not EA888 GEN1 as Golf GTI 6
-It's not EA888 Gen 3 as on MQB platform ( Golf 7 GTI and R, Audi A3 S3, Audi A4 B9, SEAT Cupra........

My guess is same gear box as T6 TDI. I will double check on ETKA
The DSG gear box is a DQ500 that we share with Audi RS3 and many other's. can handle 700Nm
Interesting about the gearbox torque(max), I seem to remember a while back people commenting that 500-550Nm being the design max. 700Nm allows for lots of wiggle room.

Well back from the vag show and the problem the tsi has moving on with stage 2 is no one wants to build a down pipe. I found a importer of mtm tuning of German to see if they make one or have one made . If I want to go stage3 the turbo is the easy part it’s the pipe from the air filter to the turbo it’s the opposite all other vw cars . What I got from the tuning company’s is we transporter owners are not in to tuning and that’s where we are at.

Very Good news:
TTE is about to release their TTE450 for the T5/T6 tsi
It's plug and play as they use the original turbo and put bigger compressor Wheel and Turbine wheel inside. So no need to fabricate any part's.
MTR who is doing the tuning development got 420 hp and 510 Nm with it and a wagner IC every thing else was kept original. They were limited by the injector's. So maybe more fueling and Higflow cat downpipe about 450hp and 480 Hp with E85
Can't wait to see the price. Will be much much much cheaper that those german tuner's like MTM, OETTINGER, ROTH, HGP.......

As you can see on picture the outside of the turbo is as original T6 TSI turbo:
https://www.theturboengineers.com/fullscreen-page/comp-j669e758/88a2abd0-065a-4ba1-83e0-e4d66f7d715b/0/?i=0&p=&s=

Last edited:
Very Good news:
TTE is about to release their TTE450 for the T5/T6 tsi
It's plug and play as they use the original turbo and put bigger compressor Wheel and Turbine wheel inside. So no need to fabricate any part's.
MTR who is doing the tuning development got 420 hp and 510 Nm with it and a wagner IC every thing else was kept original. They were limited by the injector's. So maybe more fueling and Higflow cat downpipe about 450hp and 480 Hp with E85
Can't wait to see the price. Will be much much much cheaper that those german tuner's like MTM, OETTINGER, ROTH, HGP.......

As you can see on picture the outside of the turbo is as original T6 TSI turbo:
https://www.theturboengineers.com/fullscreen-page/comp-j669e758/88a2abd0-065a-4ba1-83e0-e4d66f7d715b/0/?i=0&p=&s=
My only experience of hybrid turbos(T5 174tdi) is whilst the absolute power and acceleration are mental; the drivability and turbo lag are painful for normal driving. Thats probably because even though the 174 had a variable vain turbo, you probably need twin turbos etc, to get out right performance combined with drivability (in a diesel anyway).

Hi Gents
First Post so please be kind.
I have a 18plate 204 tsi with revo stage 1 and it's great fun, pulls like a train etc I have had a t5 130 auto, t6 180 manual and a t6 150 dsg and the tsi is by far the best so far
I'm in talks with revo about a stage 3 which should be fun and they say it's very drivable. They use a reworked ko4 and it needs a wagoner Ic, just need to sort out down pipes.

Hi Gents
First Post so please be kind.
I have a 18plate 204 tsi with revo stage 1 and it's great fun, pulls like a train etc I have had a t5 130 auto, t6 180 manual and a t6 150 dsg and the tsi is by far the best so far
I'm in talks with revo about a stage 3 which should be fun and they say it's very drivable. They use a reworked ko4 and it needs a wagoner Ic, just need to sort out down pipes.
WOW, Is the tsi (T6) the same as a tsi(Golf) engine wise?
Revo are talking about a wagoner Ic, so does the tsi have an Ic already?, I don't think that BiTDI has one, because its charger cooled(the turbo has its own cooled water supply to reduce temps).

Back