TSi MPG

Hmmmm.....I wonder is that anything to do with the fact they seem to break with monotonous regularity?!
The windscreens not the petrol engines....:(. Two separate chips in mine, and really can't be bothered to change it, as chip 3 is just waiting to happen.

Yea its all my fault, I have had four! and guess what... another fecking crack in the screen!! anyone want a T6?
Oh dear.....that's terrible! Every time I see a wagon coming towards me on A and B roads, I wait for the bang!

Last edited:
I’ve just driven up from Portimao on the Algarve to Braga on the Motorway 350 miles on Cruise control at 122kph/76mph in horrendous Rain ,& a Strong buffeting headwind in my T6 204 Tsi dsg and its returned 25 mpg whereas knocking around its been 30+.
But today it was taking a pasting with the strong headwind and torrential rain, saw some stunning rainbows though.

I just picked up my 204 TSI DSG, 5 months after ordering. I got 28mpg on the way home from the dealer. Its off for sound, insulation and electrics next week. What do i like? Its nippy, it has a smooth gear change, the ACC works well and the LED lights turn night into day.

speedo.jpeg

At 28.7 mpg that would only cost me an extra £5-600 a year in fuel, not much in the grand scheme of things. I'd still be scared if I switched that straightforward petrol vehicles would be added to the witch hunt list in a year or 2 though. A hybrid can't come soon enough for me!

Seeing these mpg figures of mid 20s, is awful.
Just had a 150 diesel for a few days and that was around 42-45mpg.
That’s a royal spanking over a few years of driving.

For anyone who is really interested in the truth about the New Petrol engined Tsi version T6 Volkswagen Vans there is a 5 page article in this months VWt Magazine on what exactly the engine is as opposed to what model engine there has been much speculation about.
What the fuel economy is, 0-60 times, Top Speed etc.
The test has been carried out on the 2.0 Tsi, 201bhp version
It also shows you the bolt on goodies to change the engine to be extremely fast very easily.
An interesting article for anyone thinking about buying a Petrol engined model.

This article also shows the latest offering from MTM showing a re mapped 2.0BiTdi engine along with two rear wheel hub 15kW electric motors which produces 278bhp & 811 ft.lbs of torque with the mid range grunt of a locomotive and 62mph in 8.2 sec.
Plus more, all very interesting a well worth a read.

Last edited:
For anyone who is really interested in the truth about the New Petrol engined Tsi version T6 Volkswagen Vans there is a 5 page article in this months VWt Magazine

Caulkhead, are there some miss truths in this thread...???
Surely the first hand experiences are key here.

I haven’t read the article, however the last place I would look for an impartial review is VWt Magazine.

Seen this post on another forum...
That’s the Caravelle & California Petrol being discontinued and the van in limited numbers.

I guess if you really want a Petrol, get in quick. It’s no surprise they are not sticking around looking at the Co2 figures

According to an announcement of VWN Germany, there will not be any petrol version of the T6 in model year 2019/2020, cited on the German Tx-board. The poster claims that the text is directly from VW Productmanagement T6, though I couldn't find any official statement of the company.

TSI nur noch bis zum 14.02.2018 bestellbar

Google 'translates' it into this:

Dear sir ........

Thank you for your interest in the models of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. For the T6 car, the petrol engines are no longer available until the next facelift in 2019/2020. For the T6 truck models, we can still offer some of them. The gasoline engines have a very low installation rate, which is why they are no longer switched to WLTP - the new test procedure for exhaust and consumption determination.
Delivery problems with the gasoline we have actually not and yes have still ordered, of course, still supplied. Except for the California since there is no longer gasoline for a long time, because here our volumes were already exhausted earlier.

Seems that BMW is going the same way, according to the German newspaper Focus:

https://www.focus.de/auto/news/neue...ebot-schrumpft-voruebergehend_id_8638682.html

The Google version:

BMW will take the petrol version of its 7er for a year from the offer (icon)
Tuesday, 20.03.2018, 10:32

BMW will temporarily halt the production of several petrol-engined car models for the European market, in order to gradually prepare them for the new EU consumption measurements close to everyday life. The flagship, the BMW 7 Series, will be withdrawn as a gasoline engine in Europe for a year even from the offer.
That said a BMW spokesman on Monday in Munich.

Caulkhead, are there some miss truths in this thread...???
Surely the first hand experiences are key here.

I haven’t read the article, however the last place I would look for an impartial review is VWt Magazine.

This article is written in a magazine for VW van conversion people and is telling you about the Petrol engined versions and also a comparison with the diesel BiTurbo version etc, co not written by VW .

That’s the Caravelle & California Petrol being discontinued and the van in limited numbers.

I guess if you really want a Petrol, get in quick. It’s no surprise they are not sticking around looking at the Co2 figures

According to an announcement of VWN Germany, there will not be any petrol version of the T6 in model year 2019/2020, cited on the German Tx-board. The poster claims that the text is directly from VW Productmanagement T6, though I couldn't find any official statement of the company.

Dear sir ........

Thank you for your interest in the models of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. For the T6 car, the petrol engines are no longer available until the next facelift in 2019/2020. For the T6 truck models, we can still offer some of them. The gasoline engines have a very low installation rate, which is why they are no longer switched to WLTP - the new test procedure for exhaust and consumption determination.
Delivery problems with the gasoline we have actually not and yes have still ordered, of course, still supplied. Except for the California since there is no longer gasoline for a long time, because here our volumes were already exhausted earlier.

https://www.focus.de/auto/news/neue...ebot-schrumpft-voruebergehend_id_8638682.html

The Google version:

BMW will temporarily halt the production of several petrol-engined car models for the European market, in order to gradually prepare them for the new EU consumption measurements close to everyday life. The flagship, the BMW 7 Series, will be withdrawn as a gasoline engine in Europe for a year even from the offer.

I haven’t seen any of this anywhere, so will wait and see, in the meantime, I love mine so won’t be changing it anytime soon, only if I put a bigger Petrol engine in it

For anyone who is really interested in the truth about the New Petrol engined Tsi version T6 Volkswagen Vans there is a 5 page article in this months VWt Magazine on what exactly the engine is as opposed to what model engine there has been much speculation about.
What the fuel economy is, 0-60 times, Top Speed etc.
The test has been carried out on the 2.0 Tsi, 201bhp version
It also shows you the bolt on goodies to change the engine to be extremely fast very easily.
An interesting article for anyone thinking about buying a Petrol engined model.

This article also shows the latest offering from MTM showing a re mapped 2.0BiTdi engine along with two rear wheel hub 15kW electric motors which produces 278bhp & 811 ft.lbs of torque with the mid range grunt of a locomotive and 62mph in 8.2 sec.
Plus more, all very interesting a well worth a read.
Cheers for the heads up Caulkhead, I am off to pick up my magazine later today and look forward to reading about the TSi. My one has a build week of 14, first week in April 3rd-9th! I am SO excited and cant wait to have a petrol vehicle :)

Dear sir ........

The Google version:

You’re name incidentally isn’Polzeylad’ is it

I have just spoken today to a very good friend of mine who works for VW Germany in a very large VW Agency in Bielefield and hasn’t heard anything of the sort, so I’m guessing that there are a lot of Diesel Sniffers around that don’t like the idea of Petrol taking the front row from Diesel powered vans ....... I digress, anyone who is seriously interested in a Petrol model Van please read this article it has nothing whatsoever to do with VW Germany or anywhere else,it is written as a totally independant magazine article for VW van owners who would like to revert to Petrol ownership ....... look forward to seeing the Petrol versions with 300 - 500 bhp on the road somewhere

Can we split the threads up in as much as Diesel & Petrol threads, so as not to keep cross threading each other please ?...... thanks in advance

Hi, First post on this forum and a first-time owner of a T6!

I have a Caravelle 150 TSi. My decisions to opt for the petrol model at the time where two-fold. Firstly, the price of the vehicle was cheaper than the equivalent diesel by quite a considerable amount and secondly, with the negativity surrounding diesel, at the time I thought it would be wise to opt for the petrol. I did so knowing the fuel economy would not be as good as diesel and therefore running costs would be higher. However, I'd saved a few thousand in the purchase price which buys quite a lot of petrol especially when my annual mileage sits somewhere between 6,000 and 8,000 miles.

Usage has consisted of mostly very short runs with a few long distance runs at the weekend. Just for some context, the bus is used locally in a built up area by my wife in the week to ferry kids and grandparents around. I drive it at the weekend when we take it for longer trips into Wales etc.

After 1000 miles, my overall average fuel consumption is 25mpg. I can sense the warm fuzzy feeling of all the diesel owners...!

I've come to the conclusion that short trips on a cold winters morning are really bad! I took it on a one-off journey to work (a 4 mile trip) and it managed a measly 18mpg. This was in heavy commuter traffic with lots time spent stationery without the stop/start kicking in (presumably due to the cold temperatures).

However, taking it further afield it seems to perform much better. I did a 40 mile round trip that included city centre traffic (traffic lights, stopping and starting etc), a town, and a duel carriage way and my mpg upon my return read 31.8.

That to me is perfectly acceptable for a petrol engine in a 2.25 ton bus. I'm hoping with more long trips and the temperatures picking up, my overall average will increase. If I can get it towards 28mpg I will be satisfied.

A few of the comments I have read on this forum about the petrol have made me question my choice and it can be quite disheartening and detracts from the ownership of what is a great vehicle. I've now chosen to ignore the negativity and concentrate on enjoying it - new wheels are on the way! :D

I hope this helps anyone who has a petrol on order or who is looking at dipping their toe in...

You’re name incidentally isn’Polzeylad’ is it

How dare you ...!!!
I never been so insulted.

But on a serious note. If Petrol floats your boats, then great it’s your choice. Enjoy your van.
But, IMO you can’t beat the diesel 150. It’s tuneable plenty quick enough less complex than the bigger brother and overall more reliable and the best suited to the current T range.

If I was buying tomorrow.
That’s where my money would go.

Back