TSi MPG

"German shock at car exhaust tests on humans and monkeys". Would anybody like to start a new thread on this ?

German shock at exhaust tests on humans
There have been times (some while ago though), that I would have have happily put forward some names form VW(UK) customer service, for such experimentation. Arrogant F*** Pigs
I've always thought VW(UK)'s piss poor attitude must come from VW(Corporate).de
Just thinking about them makes my blood pressure jump 10 points.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
and relax.............:)

They still haven’t changed after ?......disgusting in this day & age

Watched the Netflix documentary last night. The biggest thing I take away from it is exactly the same as you Caulkhead: nothing has changed....so far. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, what follows is just my understanding of what was said. Please tell me if I have got this wrong. In Germany, all a German car manufacturer has to do to justify the presence of a particular device (cheat device) in their vehicle is to say that it is there to protect the engine. And the German government will then verify that the vehicle has passed the necessary regulations and is fit for purpose. The documentary points to this as proof that the German government is fully aware of, and is turning a blind eye to this cheating. Like I said, please tell me if I have got this wrong.

The three largest companies in Germany are 1) Daimler, 2) VW, 3) BMW.

Thank you Caulkhead for your excellent report on you trip to the continent.

I haven’t seen the documentary, but my understanding of the cheat in VW cars was a software program that identified when a test was being run, and changed the engine management settings. That’s why it took so long to find.

Also, that’s does not seem to be correct about the top companies in Germany according to Forbes

0EB3AE26-22A0-42EA-B3FA-084AFA6D9658.png

How would the government know there was cheat device as it was in the car's software, when they tested it the software would probably lean the fuel supply and it would get lower readings. I've taken a VW car for MOT / TÜV in Germany and they are really strict ,fussy jobsworths, if they could fail a car they would delight in doing so [/QUOTE]

Thank you Captain M and Peterposh for your interventions. I was wrong about Largest Companies. I should have said Largest Export Companies based on total profit : 1) Daimler which make Mercedes $9.3 Billion, 2) Volkswagen Group $7.1 Billion, 3) BMW Group $7.1 Billion. These three companies combined have higher total annual profit then the other seven of the top ten Export Companies combined. These figures were calculated May 2016. Perhaps they refer to year 2015, I don't know. And the place I got that info from may be inaccurate: Top 10 largest German companies in 2017! - Welcome Center Germany

Yes. Like you, my understanding of the cheat method employed by VW is that it was software based. My understanding is that the documentary said that in lab tests the cheat was not detectible for as long as the steering wheel was not moved. My understanding is that the front wheels are locked in place during lab tests while the vehicle is being tested running on rollers. During Real Live Road Tests where the steering wheel was being moved, the emissions figures were very different to those measured in the lab.

It is my understanding that the testers in the US concluded that a Defeat Device was being used by VW. In my earlier post I referred to the VW software cheat as a device as if it was a physical object. I apologise for causing any confusion this may have caused. Software developers often speak of their programmes as if they were physical objects, like 'Tools' for example. Insurance companies talk about their 'Products' (?). Margaret Thatcher rebranded NHS patients as 'Customers' (?).

MOT Tests. I currently live in Northern Ireland. I lived in England for many years. MOT tests here are completely different to those in England. Tests here are run entirely by the Government - Driver and Vehicle Agency - in Government owned buildings - staffed by Government employees. So I imagine the MOT test here is very similar to what you experienced in Germany. I wouldn't expect an MOT tester either here or in Germany to be able to detect a software cheat that the most highly qualified and experienced vehicle testers in the US were uable to uncover. All they knew was that a 'Defeat Device' was definitely being used.

According to the Documentary there is a caveat in German Legislation that gives the German Car Industry a 'get out clause' should they choose to use it. And the German Government doesn't know this? Even after DieselGate? Perhaps.

As for the relationship between Germany's Largest Export Industry and the German Government, I would strongly recommend that you watch the Netfilx Documentary 'Dirty Money' Episode 1 and come to your own understanding.

I have been visiting 'The Real News Network' for a while now: a pretty hard hitting place (not VW related). But Netflix 'Dirty Money' hit me unexpectedly hard. It shook me.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80118100

The Real News Network - Independent News, Blogs and Editorials

Went in to the dealers to chase up any progress with my order placed 4 weeks ago. Apparently delays to petrol engined transporters due to high demand in the UK. They are also having trouble supplying heated front screens for Highline and above models, so offering the option of a normal screen with £426 discount. I opted for this rather than the extra wait.

After the latest delay I gave up and cancelled my 150tsi. Picked up a mint trendline 140ps with low miles and stuck 10k in the pocket so it all worked out ok! Shame I really wanted the tsi but couldn't stand the piss poor attitude of the vw commercial division.

After the latest delay I gave up and cancelled my 150tsi. Picked up a mint trendline 140ps with low miles and stuck 10k in the pocket so it all worked out ok! Shame I really wanted the tsi but couldn't stand the piss poor attitude of the vw commercial division.
What happened buddy?

Went in to the dealers to chase up any progress with my order placed 4 weeks ago. Apparently delays to petrol engined transporters due to high demand in the UK. They are also having trouble supplying heated front screens for Highline and above models, so offering the option of a normal screen with £426 discount. I opted for this rather than the extra wait.
Hmmmm.....I wonder is that anything to do with the fact they seem to break with monotonous regularity?!

Back