TSi MPG

Never driven a DSG but had a go in a golf GTE yesterday and think that uses a DSG . Must say its a very good car and would be great set up in a t6 .

My Hymer was ok in the dsg mode, provided you used it in the manual side of the box for getting on the ramps.
I reverse my T6 up a ramp pretty regularly to park without any problems, levelling blocks the same.
I bought the T6 because of the DSG box in prerefence .
The Hymer would just have been a normal torque converter auto surely? Better than DSG for some things but worse for most others. I've tried all the evolutions of gearbox automation over the last 30 yrs or so (torque converters with as low as 3 gears and up to 8, CVT, SMG, SSG, DCT, DSG) as I'm not keen on manual, and I much prefer either DSG or DCT. The first gen DSG I had in the Mark 5 Golf GTI could be terrifying with its roundabout hesitation but I've never had any problems with dual clutch gearboxes since then.

I like proper manuals and proper modern autos (the old ones weren’t good) which the BM is.

I’ve yet to drive a semi auto I like.

Interestingly the new pull-your-face-off BMW M5 has gone from semi to full auto as have a number of high performance Mercs and Audis.

The ZF8 is hard to beat if you don’t like shifting; that’s what they pretty much all use. And what we have.

Lots like DSG so clearly they have advantages but just not for me: I’ve tried all sorts of cars with them as well as a Caravelle. But the BM had to be auto; faster, better on fuel and emissions than the manual!

Similarish with ours on fuel; we’ve had a genuine 40mpg but around Bedford West autodrome I averaged 8mpg. A lesser 320bhp but still plenty enough for us.

I have to say running two V8s is a bit greedy. You need to give one to me.:D

But I only drive one at a time
I’ve also come down on fuel to 9mpg

I think your right about dsg & manual we all have our preferences, but I must say that in the 204dsg Petrol there doesn’t seem to be any lag , with the 150 maybe but the 204 seems to be very good and rapid.
I’m down you way next year in July for a Birthday, I’ll give you a shout if you haven’t driven a petrol before then

The Hymer would just have been a normal torque converter auto surely? Better than DSG for some things but worse for most others. I've tried all the evolutions of gearbox automation over the last 30 yrs or so (torque converters with as low as 3 gears and up to 8, CVT, SMG, SSG, DCT, DSG) as I'm not keen on manual, and I much prefer either DSG or DCT. The first gen DSG I had in the Mark 5 Golf GTI could be terrifying with its roundabout hesitation but I've never had any problems with dual clutch gearboxes since then.

Yep you are correct about the Hymer, mine was with a 3.0 ltr engine so it was a lot better than say a 2.3 ltr which is what a lot of them are, the VW dsg is much better & I am quite happy with it.

The only other VW that I really disliked was the VW UP, auto which was really bad, it used to give me palpitations a bit like the sound of your Golf.

I would think the TSI is pretty nice - petrols are always more responsive - they build revs faster but also lose them so there's more of an analogue feel to the power delivery - with such a small power band (even with a bi-tdi) in a diesel, it's more of an on/off power delivery. Petrols are much more linear - yep there's a step with the turbo kicking in but engineers have got very good at hiding that bump and almost eliminating turbo lag.
The 204 TDI power surge is pretty impressive - it really does pull hard from about 1500 but there's a really weird gap in the power band at about 2800rpm - I'm guessing it's where the small turbo stops and the larger one takes over but it's usually imperceptible (it was in my bi-turbo 335d); this is a definite "pause" then it carries on pulling. The overall effect is fine - there is no doubt that even lugging a 2.65 tonne California, the 204 unit really does pull hard but in terms of "fun" and feedback, the feeling is a bit artificial and slightly odd. I think a diesel does suit a van well but I reckon a 204TSI manual (not currently an option) 4motion would be rather more "fun" than a 204TDI - it's not all about emissions (ahem, we all know the truth about diesels now) and pure mpg.

I'll be watching very carefully on reliability too - I bet you are "allowed" to do short journeys in a TSI - a no no in a TDI which is ludicrous.

Thank you for this Polzeylad. You were responding to some anxiety I had about the TSI 150 I had ordered. You are clearly a very kind and sensitive person who can sense when someone is in a bit of trouble. I thank you for your kind response :)

The first line of the verdict review sums it up.

“In a lot of ways, this van makes no sense”

I have to agree with the reviewer.
You would need your testing to pick Tsi over TDi

With a 15mile daily commute and coming from a mk2 rs focus a tsi van will suit me. I agree it is catering for a very small market but glad there is the choice! 150bhp is just the start

Thank you for this Polzeylad. You were responding to some anxiety I had about the TSI 150 I had ordered. You are clearly a very kind and sensitive person who can sense when someone is in a bit of trouble. I thank you for your kind response :)

Hi Marg,

If I was you I would totally ignore all the sour grapes and crap you read from people who still drive a diesel van, most of them haven’t driven or have any experience of the new Petrol Vans.
Polzeylad comments very sensibly.
I have had my 2.0Tsi 204 dsg for this last month and I am extremely pleased with it on top of which you will never have to worry about thinking where you can or cannot drive it from no on without getting any fines in various parts of the world, no filter problems, no ad blue etc etc
For instance in France now you are required by law to register your vehicle now to get a sticker to state what the vehicle is registered as with regards compliance to the EU, otherwise you are liable to an on the spot fine, this law is in place now, check out the Sanef web site.

Enjoy your new Petrol when it arrives

Hi Marg,

If I was you I would totally ignore all the sour grapes and crap you read from people who still drive a diesel van, most of them haven’t driven or have any experience of the new Petrol Vans.
I have had my 2.0Tsi 204 dsg for this last month and I am extremely pleased with it on top of which you will never have to worry about thinking where you can or cannot drive it from no on without getting any fines in various parts of the world, no filter problems, no ad blue etc etc
For instance in France now you are required by law to register your vehicle now to get a sticker to state what the vehicle is registered as with regards compliance to the EU, otherwise you are liable to an on the spot fine, this law is in place now, check out the Sanef web site.

There is no difference in access to emissions zones between EU6 diesels and EU6 petrols. When the day comes that access is restricted to a future EU7 then both petrol and diesel vans will be banned, but hopefully we will be beyond straight ICE vans by then.

There is no difference in access to emissions zones between EU6 diesels and EU6 petrols. When the day comes that access is restricted to a future EU7 then both petrol and diesel vans will be banned, but hopefully we will be beyond straight ICE vans by then.

Totally agree buddy.
To much mis-informed information and people panicking about the diesel scare.
Let’s be honest, once they have had their way with diesel, petrol will very quickly follow. Just look at the CO2 figures on Petrol...!!!

Having driven a Petrol 150 for 8 weeks, I couldn’t wait to be back with the Derv. I will put my money on the table now and say Petrol residuals will be far lower than diesel 3 years from today.

If your worried about values and costs, can you even afford the vehicle in the first place...???

Im sorry but that is just not true if you leave the uk. As mentioned for example in France a diesel even euro6 does not qualify for crit' air 1, while petrol with both euro 5 and 6 qualifies.

The first line of the verdict review sums it up.

“In a lot of ways, this van makes no sense”

I have to agree with the reviewer.
You would need your testing to pick Tsi over TDi

Thank you Soulstyledevon. I appreciate you voicing your concerns. When you wrote before about your disappointing experience with the TSI 150 Combi I took you seriously.

Taking everything into consideration I now feel happy that the TSI 150 LWB panel van I have on order will comfortably satisfy all my needs and wants. Zam seems to be well satisfied with his 150 TSI Multivan. And I also find the Parkers review very encouraging.

How much load did they have in it? If it was doing mid 20's empty, i'd be worried.

Parkers don't say what weight (if any) they were carrying during the test. If I regularly carried much weight I would definitely need an answer to that question. But I very rarely carry much weight so it isn't really an issue for me.

My annual mileage is relatively low. And I also know that my driving style seems to lends itself well to economy. So I don't see mpg being a major issue for me personally.

Hi Marg,

Thank you Caulkhead. I hear you loud and clear. I have been reading all your posts about your experience with your TSI 204 DSG. All very encouraging stuff regarding the petrol experience. I am now a happy bunny. I am looking forward and I know I will enjoy :)

Im sorry but that is just not true if you leave the uk. As mentioned for example in France a diesel even euro6 does not qualify for crit' air 1, while petrol with both euro 5 and 6 qualifies.
Not enforced yet last time I looked, though I must admit I was thinking more of Germany/Austria, not a fan of France

Edit - Yep just checked, no plans to even ban Eu4 vehicles at the moment! Just weeks until Brits need Crit'Air stickers to drive in Paris

Last edited:
Totally agree buddy.
To much mis-informed information and people panicking about the diesel scare.
Let’s be honest, once they have had their way with diesel, petrol will very quickly follow. Just look at the CO2 figures on Petrol...!!!

Having driven a Petrol 150 for 8 weeks, I couldn’t wait to be back with the Derv. I will put my money on the table now and say Petrol residuals will be far lower than diesel 3 years from today.

If your worried about values and costs, can you even afford the vehicle in the first place...???

I wouldn't worry about residuals I have just tried to part ex my Sept 2016 150 DSG EU6 Hiline with loads of extra's and it was a shock! needless to say I will be keeping it! i don't think they even want em back in px?

I think it is what you enjoy the feel of the drive and so on . i like no "love" my diesel T6 but don't knock anyone who wants to try something new and lets be honest petrol van . Good on you for your personel choice :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about residuals I have just tried to part ex my Sept 2016 150 DSG EU6 Hiline with loads of extra's and it was a shock! needless to say I will be keeping it! i don't think they even want em back in px?
Depends what type of van it is and what you’re part-exing against, mine is a Feb 17 Westfalia from-new conversion and in a moment of weakness 2 weeks ago when I’d had enough of my stupid locks I enquired about chopping it in for a larger pvc Campervan and was stunned to be offered only £4.5k less than I paid for it and the salesman said he could have got on the phone and found a buyer the same day!

Back